Young Investors on Australian Property Investment magazine

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Yinka Dare, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Agree with your post @Mr Dabolina but you don't bite the hand that feeds you,unfortunately it just doesn't make commercial sense for them to run this follow up story.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

And a good spruiker is hard to pick!

3. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

You are right. It hardly sells advertisers agendas - but it does serve investors in the long run to understand both sides of the investing coin. If people only see via the media the good stories then how are they going to know about the risks and pitfalls?

Those that have failed often fall into a slump because society tends to just focus on the success stories and they feel like something is wrong with them. If we can embrace failure and teach people that its OK and that you can get back on your feet, then perhaps we (society) will get over our failures sooner, get back on the horse sooner, which is good for the economy and the RE industry.

charttv, Eric Wu and ellejay like this.
  4. Kate Moloney

Some education and marketing can be very one sided, and from my experience at financial rock bottom, I have come to realise that what was taught to us in those seminars is kindergarden compared to what we've been through and learnt over the last few years. I now advocate a new type of education: its called life

kierank, charttv, Foxy Moron and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Spot on! Advertising dollars aside ....I think "learning and education from mistakes" type articles that remain neutral and unbiased regardless of a writers opinion or advertisers beliefs would be the way to go - objectivity in journalism will help the audience make up their own mind about a particular story and decide what they want to believe. Further, I'm not talking about front page headline story unless of course you add the word "Hotspots" which may sell a few more magazines. But as @Leo2413 mentioned in a separate post - if you learn one or two things from a read then this is a good thing!

Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Maybe they should do a story on Bogan derros with 20 properties....

Datto are you game.....would love to see you on the front cover with your flannies, shorts, thongs, and a stubbie in on hand with the title....investor of the year. Now that would be a real story...none of these sillly pretty things who have been in the game all of 2 seconds.

The title should be how I went from "zero to hero".....by investing in West gun totting suburbs of Western Sydney. ;)

Remember to say I luv youse all a lot......:)

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

She's blown the $$ from the interview on crack and on a downward spiral - reverse mortgage to support her habit.

Cactus, datto and Barny like this.
  8. Kate Moloney

Everyone loves a good bogan derro story complete with thongs and butt crack hanging out. :eek:

datto likes this.
  9. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

Very true. There is an article in SMH recently about this: Hard work is never enough. There is more to being successful than just hard work. Those who have been successful with their investment should be humble enough to admit there is a combination of factors within and outside their control that come into play. Attributes such as creativity, determination, perseverance, self-discipline, resilience, etc are undoubtedly needed to achieve our goals. But to be in the right place at the right time can sometimes be a bit of sheer blind luck too.

It's not how you start that counts; it's how you finish.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I can't see it happening. There would be an outrage. Every law enforcment agency in the country would be on to me lol.

Fair enough. With history like that, I'm startiing to find her attractive.

Depends which audience is being targetted.

[​IMG]

lol

Dan Donoghue and Kate Moloney like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto - is that a plumber's wise crack?

jefn89 and datto like this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just think about it for 5 seconds,at least if you get on the cover you would never have to be drinking your mates beer,and running down the road trying to pull up your pants again,the Ladies would be looking for you,looking foward to see you on the cover..

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I can see it now, a c of an affair, or 60 mins of sensationalism track you down and demand you log into net bank on a fresh phone & explain all that expenditure....all from your rented ex houso place :)

14. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Sage statement

15. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look at the April issue where Nadia Hana featured. Here is something that all investors starting out and maybe some that are seasoned should tattoo on their foreheads.................."You know things like going to a festival or a night out, I just had to think twice about those things..........Nadia also bypassed credit cards, a car loan or anything that might delay her dream...............My folks always encouraged me not to get loans for depreciating assets.......etc"

I think we all get the gist. So, yes, whilst it may appear that featuring young and not supremely accomplished investors might upset people like the opening poster, it may provide impetus to someone to get off the comfy couch. The fact that she has a very pretty smile also doesn't hurt the magazine to sell copy from the cover.

Sounds like she sacrificed a bit to start her journey and had supporting parents from the advice they provided to boot. The May issue came to my PO Box on Friday and I will get around to reading about another pretty young gun on the path shortly too. How dare they be given a head start by way of gifts and assistance from those that care for them....................:rolleyes:

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes. Exactly. And that is why I want to do centre-spread as well. I'm excited!

But I'm a businessman! I buy and sell.

willair likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Like the old Jack Thompson?

Attached Files:

• jt.jpg
      jt.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    datto likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You would be legend to rival Ned Kelly...imagine all the adoring toothless Boganistas

datto likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Unfortunately, the pretty smile makes it more difficult to be taken seriously.

20. eng

eng Well-Known Member

@WattleIdo has a point, people would probably stereotype these "young guns" as naive and inexperienced - in the case of the last two ladies, as dumb blondes. Paris Hilton is a young gun, wildly successful, but still in reality is exemplified as dumb and naive.

WattleIdo likes this.