Young, clueless and wanting to learn! Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TreeGrove, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What age did you buy your first investmet property? (Excluding PPOR, unless rentvesting)

1. 17-20

14.3%
  2. 20-25

28.6%
  3. 25-30

21.4%
  4. 30-35

21.4%
  5. 35-40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 40+

14.3%
  1. TreeGrove

TreeGrove Active Member

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for a few months and I decided to make an account! After listening to an older and more clued friend talk about very basic property investment, I got excited decided to learn the basics for when I am in a position to start building a portfolio. I am in the process of eating through a few recommened books (Slight Edge and Think and Grow Rich) and I plan to look at shares etc as well (same account name in InvestChat). Unfortunately I did not come from a very finance savvy background, as I have not taken any related subjects and I am a civil engineer in training. I am very grateful to have access to such a great learning tool and I hope to learn much more in the coming years.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Welcome! You don't need any related subjects - in fact, you're probably best off not.

The slight edge is one of my favourite books - was quite life changing.

3. TreeGrove

TreeGrove Active Member

Hey Jess! Why do you say best off not doing related subjects? Outdated info? and I hope to have the same experience :)

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Just that sometimes theory can get in the way of reality, and doesn't always line up. It's not necessarily the same as what you would learn through experience.

For eg, the course we do to become mortgage brokers has zero relevance to how successful we become at mortgage broking.

5. TreeGrove

TreeGrove Active Member

Ohh okay, that makes sense! Learning from localised experience will be a good start :)