QLD yeronga?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Peta Notari, 1st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peta Notari

Peta Notari Well-Known Member

Hi all

We are looking at a new or near new IP in yeronga, qld.

Any thoughts either way?

It will capitalise on depreciation, be close to transport, have 1+ bedrooms and bathrooms and close to cbd.

Thanks in advance

2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Watch out for flooding, I like the area, on the train line and not far from the city.

3. Peta Notari

Thanks rico2011...i have checked nearmap from jan 2011 - flood water down end of street.

I have also checked the BCC interactive flood map which shows very low flood risk at the address.

I also checked the DA approval online for the development in question and couldnt see any special conditions for stormwater treatment or OSD requirements. No mention of flooding. Hoping i can trust my research here .

Any new development needs to meet the RL levels for the last known flood level dont they....ie, be built elevated upwards from that flood level??

4. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I lived there. I like it as close to rail and uni (by bike). Some areas near Hyde road or down by the river in the "O" streets went under so check 1st:
    http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...-tools/online-tools/floodwise-property-report

Depending on your price range- I prefer houses but not much under 600k. Plenty on units though:
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-yeronga-119923577
    This complex settled a week or 2 ago and there are some left it would seem. Asian developers with a few spares so you may be able to haggle on price. Good street handy to everything including a great noodle franchise and a Dominos. What more can you ask for?

Watch out for anything on the "river circuit" which involves Stevens st, Feez st, Kadumba st and Brisbane Corso at parts. Cyclists start up at 4.30 am talking at the tops of their voices making life a misery for the locals. Piano wire across the road is supposedly illegal but it really is a big impact on those who have to suffer it. It will most likely annoy tenants ( no you don't get used to some middle aged lycra wearing Fred tell all and sundry how he would run things if he was boss no matter how long you live there unless you have severe tinnitus or industrial deafness).

Apart from the cyclists (and only 80% are a problem to be fair) it is a great suburb.

HUGH72, Bran, Heinz57 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Peta Notari

Hi CU@THETOP - thanks for your reply. Its very helpful as we are interstate and not too familiar with the area.

Is the market moving (upwards lol)?

Can i ask a silly question....piano wire on the roads??? Lol

I have found that the flood maps dont always show a particular address - it claims its not a rateable address - your link is another example.

6. CU@THETOP

Piano wire mainly intended to decapitate errant cyclists.

This property has been on the market for a dew weeks and not moving:
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-yeronga-120226561

Nice house on a small corner lot ( back was split) but right in the middle of noisy cyclist land.Probably ripe for a low 700s offer.

This house sold at auction for 725k same street at auction:
    https://www.domain.com.au/sold/41-yeronga-street-yeronga-qld-4104-2011933039?adid=2011933039
    They have done a bucket load of renos but still haven't moved in. It wasn't a bad house -would have made a good IP as multiple rooms and ensuites- internal doors had locks (Josef Fritzel is that you?)

I think it is a steady suburb and quite a few millionaire riverfront properties so I don't see it going povo. PM me if you want feedback on a particular property.

7. Sam Yue

Sam Yue Well-Known Member

Yeronga, not bad area in my impression. Just the flood area is too much.

8. Peta Notari

Thanks CU@THETOP and sam yue. Thats good to know.

Is there any other way i can check the flood zones? I have checked the DA approval and the council flood maps?

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I like Yeronga in parts, but the concerns as mentioned.

I'm a cyclist and definitely feel for those on the 'riverloop'. Especially on the corners near enough to hear "CLEAR" with every passing cyclist.

10. CU@THETOP

Like the chirping of birds it happens every morning-even if raining. When enough shout "car" it sounds like a murder of crows.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ugh, nothing worse. I ride bikes but the serious lycra wearers bring it on themselves.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Wait until they change the name to Yer-righta?

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why do I have a strong feeling that these MAMILs would be jumping up and down if the roles were reversed and they were trying to sleep through this racket?

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I lived on a cycling route in Melbourne and I didn't like it on the one day I wasn't with them. I don't make much noise in the mornings, but mainly Im just trying to get my breath and/or keep up.

It would be horrible every day. I'd join them (and did).

15. Lsquare64

Lsquare64 Active Member

I am also new to the IP in Brisbane, would appreciate your thoughts on IP in Annerley which is not far from Yeronga?

16. CU@THETOP

House or unit?

17. Lsquare64

Lsquare64 Active Member

House

18. CU@THETOP

Not much good under $500k
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-annerley-120045553 this was a very poor house on a small lot but in a good position (next to the pub though). Personally I like the 3 streets next to the PA hospital: Young, Carville and Brisbane Sts- nurses will rent them or maybe convert to short term stays for people visiting sick relatives. I also like Cronin and Fanny ( tee hee) streets near the station- still possible for sub 600k with change.

Prince King or Emperor streets are good too:
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-annerley-120905305

Should always be good rental demand.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We held a large house in one of those mentioned streets and in all the years held, never did a nurse take the slightest bit of interest. I always was amazed. We did have a continuous stream of uni students rent there with the close proximity to the Queensland Uni. The hospital was a minute's walk away, but no interest from nurses, strange as that sounds.ever... go figure o_O

20. Lsquare64

Lsquare64 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    Despite all the negative media reports regarding Brisbane market, I found this area is very hot at the moment. I have been looking at the listing and noticed that, a lot of the houses were sold prior to auctions, especially those near the hospital, train stations and within the LMR zones.
    Also because this is high rental demand area, is it true that highset houses can fetch higher prices than the lowset ones (only consider houses with similar size and conditions)?