Yearly oven fan change in IP? Who should pay for it?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by paulF, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I have a two year oven in an IP and seems like every year i cop a bill for changing the oven fan.
    Last year it was not covered by the warranty due to tenant using excessive cleaner on it. I paid that bill.
    Just got another electrical bill for the same issue and thinking i shouldn't be paying for that.
    Any ideas please?

Also, who pays for a burnt circuit breaker?! Tennant or myself please?

Cheers

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Ask the tenants to pay if it is a result of something they have done

paulF likes this.
  3. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Does that hold good for other things as well ? Broken kitchen draws/cupboard handles etc ?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You would pay for a burnt circuit breaker. I’m guessing it is burnt through being overloaded? That is not the tenants fault.

If tenants keep doing something (wrong method of cleaning?) that they know is causing oven fan to need repair I’d be telling them to pay for the second and subsequent fix.

6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thank you @Terry and I realized that last year's fan had a 2 year replacement warranty on it but the PM went and used a different electrician/company than the one that provided the warranty for whatever reason ... Notified here that i won't be paying for any of this.

@wylie , a circuit breaker breaks when a short happens around the house such as a washing machine shorting or something along those lines so obviously it was the tenant who caused the overload hence breaking the circuit breaker right?

7. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might need a full wiring inspection. How is the circuit breaker burning out? It should just trip and be able to be reset.
    Do you have proper RCD protection?

I'd be very careful dealing with electrical faults. Do you think the oven fan fault is related to the circuit breaker fault?

8. wylie

I don’t agree it is the tenant’s fault, unless they are plugging in ten toasters at once. Shouldn’t a house be able to cope with the appliances most of us use daily?

We had an old cottage and were told by our sparkie that adding an air-con might mean tripping the power and we’d need up upgrade the box. It never did trip the power.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2018
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

And yet PM/inspection people love to whinge about dirty ovens. Then try and charge you $160 for an oven clean when you move out.

RCD's wear out over time and need replacing. Is it "burnt" out or just tripping?

10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Nah @ShireBoy , no electrical issues at all , just the fan being worn out due to excessive cleaner use. That's what the company that replaced the fan last time said.
    @Shogun , as above, too much cleaner being used on the fan apparently. I haven't seen it myself to be honest.

@wylie , It's not the amount of toasters being plugged per se, one defective toaster can short a circuit breaker. I won't be disputing that by the way as it's a pretty small cost to replace a circuit breaker.

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

To burn out a RCD takes a bit more than a faulty toaster. When was the last time you performed an electrical safety check? If your just using "fuses" on your property I would suggest discussing with an electrician about RCD (which are requirement/law in WA) . Owners can be found negligent of electrical faults.

I am long time renter. Over cleaning ovens i would be blaming the PM they are always complaining about it during inspections. Sounds like you have tenants trying to a please a over zealous PM (current or ones from past experience)

12. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I would argue that it is the tenants fault. If they plugged in 10 toasters, and burnt a circuit breaker or blew a fuse, then it is the fault of the tenant and should have to replace the breaker/fuse. Ovens should have their own dedicated circuit and should not be tripping a fuse nor breaker.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some oven fans are rubbish and fail like a clock. Replace the oven?

Othertimes its a element that trips the fan forced fan to stop (our does this at home). (This stops a fire !) The element is LUCKY to last 2 years. Each 2 years we get a replacement under warranty cause the replacement failed just within 2 years. Every second replacement is free.

Oven shouldnt be on same circuit as other power. Should have its own. Burnt out ?? Thats a worry.

14. wylie

I’m sure the tenants aren't plugging in 10 toasters. I was trying to point out that normal appliances shouldn’t trip power. 50 years ago what we use daily would have likely tripped the power but not these days (unless you have an older house with an old board).

15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

What sort of circuit breaker is it , the old ceramic type or a newer version that you just flick on or off.
    You used to be also able to buy replacements for the old ceramic style that just pushes in to the old slot and flick on and off , no need to change wire and they come in different amp sizes.
    If the old one was actually cooked/burnt/overheated it suggests something more sinister.

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@marmot , no idea to be honest. PM is looking into it.

Funny enough, i had a circular saw short circuit over the weekend and burnt an old ceramic circuit breaker at my PPOR and i did replace it with the new flick on/off ones.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It may be worth spending the $150 to get an electrician to test everything in the house, then replace anything that they say is faulty or obsolete. The unit we renovated a few months ago is less than 25 years old, but the main box needed significant upgrading.