Travel & Holidays Yamba, NSW

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

If I was retiring and proximity to a hospital was relevant, I would look at Port Macquarie. Great climate, heaps of facilities and stuff happening, and some of my favourite beaches.

RS Gumby likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Love that part of the world.

The only downside is that I can’t wear my maroon jersey in public :D.

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

True that Port Macquarie has good facilities, but with that comes a population in excess of 45000. Traffic can be a problem at times, especially over holiday periods.
    For me it is way too cityfied.
    Each to their own I guess.

4. Depreciator

Yep. Plenty of people in Port. It's like a big country town on the sea. But with the size comes everything anybody could want - especially people moving from a city. Having lived almost my whole life in the busy inner west, if I retired and moved out of town, it would need to be to a place like Port. I need lots of stuff going on. It also has one of my favourite beaches - Flynns.

5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The new estates ( Sovereign Hills & surrounds) are miles from the beach. Old Port I feel would be more desirable due to its proximity to let's say Flynns Beach.
    When I left the city it was to escape the hustle and bustle. I certainly didn't want to move to an area that replicated what I left behind.
    Yamba has all that I require with under 7000 people. I live 400 metres from the ocean, so no need to drive. That's what I like the most.

RS Gumby likes this.
  6. Depreciator

Yep, Sovereign Hills and places like that would be terrible. We had a client who was looking to buy there and the sales pitch was that it's less than a 15 minute drive to the beach. I said, 'If you buy in a coastal town and you're more than a 5 minute walk from the beach, it's dopey.'

7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Visited Sawtell last week doing a bit of north coast exploring - nice place. Lots of regional towns have bad vibes and rough are around the edges, not the case here. Coffs just up the road on the other hand ...geezus

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Never liked Coffs, but the fish and chip shop down on the sea wall is good.
    Marg

9. The Falcon

Was up in Byron hinterland last week. Didnt want to come home. Need to do some more exploring....would like to move the family ex Sydney in 3-5 years. 5-10ac outside of Bangalow or similar looks really good.

Marg4000 and Gestalt like this.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

My wife and I were married near Newrybar ... just a wonderful part of the world.

The Falcon likes this.
  11. The Falcon

Good spot. Lots in that 20 min radius of Byron. Mullum, Bruns and out to Coorabell etc. I'm sold. Problem is so is everyone else! Cracking house on 5ac with the lot ...$3m. Solid price for the "country"....$1.5-1.7m build cost granted.

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2019
  12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

This area commands a hefty price tag for a reason. Most who reside in the area describe it as paradise. That 20 minute run down to the beaches during holiday periods blows out considerably, because as you stated everybody wants to be there!
    I am finding that Yamba now, is becoming at times, a bit overcrowded. I can't complain as I have had it good for a lot of years, and everything changes over time. I still firmly believe that this part of Australia provides the best climate. Not too hot and never overly cold.

The Falcon likes this.