Wrong paint in kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 31st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I just inspected an IP reno and was shocked to see that the paint used in the kitchen was unsuitable for wet areas. Such paint has an anti-fungal treatment or similar, but the paint used is the same as for the rest of the dwelling. I'm unsure what to do. Options include painting over with the right paint or stripping back to the base. It's fortunate that the kitchen is mostly benches, tiles, cupboards and window. Advice regarding this point would be valued. TIA.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

AFAIK the kitchen isn't a wet area even though there's a tap. It doesn't require special paint.

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Never heard about needing the wet area paint for kitchen. Was lots of the part exposed to moisture?

4. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Ah, that's interesting, thanks. I was advised that kitchens and bathroom were "wet" areas due to steam. What does that leave - the bathroom?

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Any decent paint will be fine for a kitchen. You get more grease accumulation than moisture

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Grease repels water.

7. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

A "wet" area, as I understand it, is where you get high humidity/steam where moisture can build up and sit. eg, after a shower, or have your clothes dryer running. Kitchen is not it. Don't sweat it.