Would you sacrifice Lifestyle for Money?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 8th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not a trick question, no right or wrong

Was pondering on this the other day as my niece has sacrificed lifestyle for the ultimate job overseas, big $, location is not ideal/isolation, no family/friends, children having to adapt which has proven to be a nightmare. No turning back though. The big picture is the big $ and nothing else. When the children leave high school they will be shipped back to Australia to attend Uni, because it will be much cheaper option. How will that work. We all make choices and sacrifices in life to get ahead but I sometimes wonder some people are not thinking it through and the importance of happiness today.

I like this

[​IMG]

Eric Wu, Peter P, HUGH72 and 8 others like this.
  2. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Did it for many years living and working in third world countries along with back in Australia when I started my career. Still do to a degree but I find time to enjoy my toys nowadays.

MTR likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

To some degree yes, but some things are not negotiable. Never forget the reason I want money in the first place.

Eric Wu likes this.
  4. 158

158 Well-Known Member

There's more to life than such a common thing like money.

pinkboy

sanj and Jamie Moore like this.
  5. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like its more an attitude thing.
    Location/ isolation ( not enough info).
    No friends - make some new ones. People travel and make friends all over the world all the time.
    Kids and uni - whats the problem?. Country Australia kids routinely leave home at 18 to attent universities in the cities. Its a good opportunity to be independant, and not pampered at home until 30's.

6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Maybe sorta? I wish I'd sacrificed more lifestyle for $ when I was younger, single, no kids.

I wouldn't drag my family around the world following the $ trail if we lived in craptown with nothing to do. I would love to take them around the world, living in interesting places even if it meant earning less than I am now. (Though there's something to be said for stability of school and friendships too).

The only reason I invest is so I can look forward to a retirement lifestyle that I can enjoy. I don't invest as much as I possibly could right now (though I'm always tempted), because I want to spend a bit to enjoy life too.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not to that degree - but yes, in lots of little ways.

Currently living in a garage with hubby, a teenager, two dogs and a cat while we build our new home ... although it is a very nice garage with hot and cold running water, and a bathroom, those 40+ days were a little wearing.

2017-02-08 08.49.07.jpg

S.T, WattleIdo and HomePage like this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

No, I will do my best to get us where we need to be for an early retirement but I won't move overseas for work and I won't risk my health for work.

Life's too short to focus so heavily on work, you never know when it's going to end, no point in being the richest guy in the cemetery.

Magnet, josh123 and Player like this.
  9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Its not a sacrifice!
    I took a job overseas. Not an ideal location, no friends/family.
    I wasnt even chasing the money - my starting salary was actually less than what I was earning when I was in Australia.
    In my mind it was a fantastic opportunity to travel, see the world, experience new things - all with a well paying job and great future opportunities - in a new industry, where I felt I could learn a lot.

The number of people who made comments
    "your missing out on life - youre not living - your sacraficing friends, family and real life for money... its not a good life - youre just money hungry" the list goes on and on and on. My employer at the time nearly fell off her chair when I said I was leaving the bank to move!

10 years (or so) later, I have traveled to, and lived in more countries than I can remember, international travel is so common some of the airline staff know me by name, I know many flight times and routes like most people know bus/train schedules, my son (2years old) speaks 3 languages. I work 6months a year.

The list of advantages that one move created is exhaustive. There are some disadvantages, but these are few and not insurmountable.

If I had the same attitude I could look back on my Australians friends and counterparts and make exactally the same judgements "your missing out on life - youre not living - your sacraficing friends, family and real life for money... its not a good life - youre just money hungry"

The 'sacrifice' you speak of is 'opportunity' to some

Walk your own path

Blacky

legallyblonde, Chabs, db9 and 17 others like this.
  10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I could earn more, however I choose to enjoy more time off. My income is sufficient to meet my goals long term and I like my job (most days).

Then again I could earn less and live in an even better location and have more time. Balance is the answer

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or is the real question:

"Is living in Australia holding you back?"

Sonamic and Blacky like this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Certainly have.

14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes and no for me.
    I mainly get the sense of how lucky I am to be in Australia when I go overseas. More opportunity out there yes, but I don't think I'll be happier.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Wow, that's profound. So true!

Magnet and MTR like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is that how you learnt to hold you breath for a long time? :D

The Y-man

17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Many years ago (and probably in a past life...) I participated ("worked" is probably not an apt description...) in an industry where if you saw a competitor drowning, you'd shove a hose down their throat, just to make sure.

I wish I had known about the Dalai Lama's take on it a bit earlier...

kierank and MTR like this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes if there was a defined goal and time frame.

19. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I think lifestyle is every bit as important as investment.

Some of the people I knew at school have been long dead from a variety of causes. I have always thought that I need to enjoy the 'now' in case I didn't make it to retirement.

Having an interesting life has always been more important than money so the financial hit of moving to Australia didn't worry me. I have more than once taken a job with lower pay because I was bored with what I was doing and the new job looked interesting.

Having said that other than holidays I'm not a big spender. I've always owned fairly basic cars and not spent on 'toys' like boats and motorbikes.

MTR and EN710 like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

balance is important