Would you keep superannuation in high risk or move to mid/low risk option?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by wylie, 13th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm not asking for advice. I'm after thoughts, hunches, opinions. We will make our own decision but I'm curious to know what others think the sharemarket will do over the next two years or more.

We are 58 and 57, retired, living off rents.

Our rents come from our IPs. Our bank loans, right now, equal the superannuation balance.

Disregarding our plans for improving and/or selling IPs down the track, if we don't want the hassle of tenants, right now I cannot help but wonder whether we change tack and move to a safer option within super.

We've never worried too much about the rise and fall of the superannuation balances because the general trend is upwards. But if the balance fell a lot due to some world problem or sharemarket crash, I'd wish we'd moved it to a less volatile area within super.

We could change from high risk (and higher return generally) to a middle or even low risk option within the super fund. We would go from 8% growth to maybe 5% growth. (I have figures for daily rate, FYTD, 1, 3 and 5 years but I've just picked the three year figures here for high risk vs mid/low risk.)

In 18 months, if we wanted to, we could take our super tax free to completely clear our debts (in today's dollars). That is strong motivation for me to think we should look at protecting it from the more volatile option within super and take the hit on the earning rate.

So, who would move it to a safer option and who would leave it in the higher risk option?

Who thinks the sharemarket is going to crash?

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Wylie - no one knows ,otherwise they would all pull their money out and cause the crash right now. Maybe you should look at doing both to let you sleep at night? Or, Get the super focussed more on dividends - if you look at Thornhills stuff, the dividends hardly changed regardless of the share price. You and Mr Wylie are still young, and seemingly fit and well - you may have 20-30 years retirement at least - a crash would be a smidge of that timeframe anyway. If you haven't read motivated money, let me know and I can lend it to you. I think it's still apt

3. wylie

Thanks Bran. Maybe I should read it. I've never felt this jittery, and I think it is purely because superannuation = loan right now.

I can see a life of debt free bliss. But reality is we wouldn't repay our loans in full anyway.

4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I would stay in the higher risk (more debt) option.

But it is always easier to advise when you are on the outside and not in the guts of it.

The Thornhill comment is good.

Last edited: 14th Jun, 2017
    Phase2 and kierank like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

AFAIK, it's pretty rare for both the property sector and equities to crash/correct at the same time (there's usually little correlation between the two).

If you cash out of super, you lose out on tax free income once you hit the age for drawing down on your super. Consider super as your long term bucket, don't play with the settings (leave it in the growth/aggressive phase for as long as possible as you won't need it all in the short term).

You could use the tax-free income to aggressively pay down debt (or sit in offset).

Anne11, Perthguy and kierank like this.
  6. wylie

Thanks for the thoughts and answers. We wouldn't cash out now but in 18 months we can cash out most of it tax free. But I'd prefer to leave it to continue to grow. We've just ignored it for so long until now.

As Bran says, we have (hopefully) 20 to 30 years of living left, so I'd love it to continue to grow.

I've never been game to play with the settings and we've always just let it "do its thing", but now it is getting more valuable I'm just starting to wonder about it.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm not a doctor but I'd prescribe a Thornhill event for you. Its a small investment to support yourselves for the rest of your lives....

Keep a proportion of funds in cash (powder dry) and some in industrial (non mining) shares. If there's a crash, buy using that cash you have. Long term, you'll do well. As was mentioned, dividends don't drop anywhere as much as a share price can, so keep some money accessible for those events.

Ps. I'm not licensed to give financial advice. I can completely recommend the Thornhill event though.

8. wylie

@Gockie do you have a link to the thread that covers this? I found one today that I think is "the one" and it has nearly 3,000 replies. It will keep me busy if I read it all. Maybe we should look at going to an event?

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ahhh.... This is how it boils down to in my mind. There's a great @Mike Roberts post / website item. Just have to find it...

Edit: found it! Here's a easy starting point....
    Peter Thornhill - interview with an investing genius

wylie likes this.
  10. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Been 10 years since the GFC so some say we are due for a correction. No one really knows, the stock market is purely about sentiment.

Apart from Thornhill, I'd say read the LIC beginners document that @austing has put together.
    :cool:

Chris Au, Jaik2012, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perhaps I am old school but I would want to protect my capital and reduce risk

Eventually market will correct we just dont know when. I like Bran's advice.

What if the share market crashes where does that leave you financially? Just have to weigh it up, reducing debt is a beautiful thing:)

12. wylie

Our shares held within super (mostly shares anyway) are icing on the cake.

But with the value being quite high now, rather than almost ignoring them, they are more important to us.

If we lost a but chunk of their value tomorrow, we would be ok, and I've never used our super (or more accurately, never "relied" on our super) as a strategy to clear our debt.

But now the super balance equals our debt, I'm looking at them differently.

We could sell a house to clear our debt or cash in our super to clear our debt. We will likely do neither. But I'm a little tempted for the 18 months before we could cash in in tax free to move it to a safer option for the very first time.

MTR likes this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@wylie , we are in a similar situation to you, just a couple of years older at 61 and 62. We did the following when we turned 55:
    1. Switched our Super (shares and managed funds) to pension phase (so no tax on income or on capital gains).
    2. Withdraw minimum of 4% of Super balance each year as tax-free income to fund living expenses and lifestyle (going up to 5% in 3/4 years time - 25% pay rise).
    3. Have a minimum of 3 years in cash investments to pay pension (don't have to sell shares after a crash to fund pension).
    4. Take all dividend payments as cash and place these funds in cash account to top up our cash reserves for pension payments.
    5. Bank all net rental income into Offset Accounts (over time these are filling up and provide a great cash reserve in case the "**** hits the fan").
    6. The first $36,400 in net rental income is tax free for a couple. With dividend imputation, loan structuring/manipulation, ... one can increase this. Our aim is structure our affairs (legally) so that we do not to pay any income tax.
    We implemented this strategy because:
    1. If our Super grows at say 10% to 12% (income and growth) tax free and we withdraw the minimum 4%, our Super balance continues to grow. That is, the strategy is sustainable and we have a good SANF. In time, when you are 90, the minimum increases to 11%; so our Super balance might start to decline but who cares :) :).
    2. With 3 years pension payments in cash, we would expect to ride out any share market crashes (that is, no fire sales of shares to fund pensions), especially as we top up our cash account with dividends. Another SANF.
    3. In time, all of our Offset Accounts will be chockers which means we have no debt and a great cash reserve. Another SANF.
    4. We pay no tax and we have the flexibility to structure/manipulate our affairs so that we may never have to. Even our property portfolio turns hugely cashflow positive.
    Since, we implemented the above 7 years ago, our Super balance has increased nearly 40% (means we have take a bigger pension :)) and our assets have grown by nearly 30%. We are very comfortable with this approach.

Obviously, this is not advice. I wouldn't be in a hurry to cash out your Super and pay off your IP loans because:
    1. Now your Super balance equals your total loans. In 10 years time, even if you did nothing, your Super balance is likely to be double your loans.
    2. By paying back your loans, you lose flexibility to structure/manipulate your affairs so that you pay little to no tax (especially if the Government grandfathers NG in the future).
    PM me if you want to catch up over a coffee to discuss in more detail.

apk, Big Will, Cactus and 16 others like this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

At your age some would suggest Super should be the number one priority. You're both already able to access tax free pensions in relation to fund earnings and any tax on withdrawals (taxed component) receives a 15% rebate. Depending on cap limits in my case rather than taking cash out of Super to pay loans I sold some IPs to get more money into tax free Super environment.

@kierank has covered most things.

I follow a simple path tax wise:
    1. Max out tax free Super pensions.
    2. Max out personal tax free thresholds outside Super.
    3. Get as much as possible into Super accumulation whilst the law allows you to still make concessional contributions. Unlike tax free Pension there's no maximum limit on accumulation balance. Capped at 15% tax.
    4. When all above done then invest outside Super using whatever structures / gearing available to minimise tax further.

I fully understand your concern about debt, I hate it also. Regardless of merit if the level of debt impacts your SANF then it's too much no matter what others say. Peace of mind is everything in retirement. But taking money out of a tax free Super environment, which in some cases may not be possible to put back in, to reduce debt is certainly not what I personally would be doing.

Not advice of course.

Chris Au, Brady, ellejay and 3 others like this.
  15. wylie

Thanks @kierank

You understand where my head is quite well. Whilst we "could" use the super tax free in 18 months to repay our loans, it would be foolish tax-wise and that is not our plan at all. I'd like to leave it to grow for many years to come. It is icing on our cake.

For years we have been treading water cashflow wise, but things are changing now. And we have a DA to work through, so keeping loans available for the costs of working through that is imperative.

We have a chunk of cash coming in soon and on paper, placing it into super should give us 10%+ growth (assuming no sharemarket crash).

That is a "probable" return (going on past earnings). Whereas placing it into offset against the IO loans we hold gives us a "certain" saving and substantially frees up our cashflow, which has been our biggest problem for a number of years.

If we put this cash into super, we would definitely have to place some super into pension mode to boost our cashflow, and we would pay tax on that pension.

I think it is simply the fact that super = loan balance right now that has made me sit up and think about the high risk option it is in. But it also is the high risk option that has given us such good growth, and of course some unnerving falls. But general direction is up.

I looked back to an old spreadsheet from a number of years ago and was amazed at how our assets have grown in value, even with hubby having "retired" at 50 and me having earned only about $20k per year for five years. So if we can fix our cashflow woes, we are happy to leave super as is and let it grow.

And if it falls, we have plenty of time to let it catch back up as long as our cash flow holds up, which it should with my projections and use of offset accounts.

So, for now, I'm thinking we will choose the certain saving in interest and boost in cashflow by placing the cash into offsets against IO loans, lock our P&I loans for two years at 3.88%.

We don't plan starting any DA work for another 18 months to two years. So much will have changed by then, and we can look at things again.

I will take you up on the coffee offer once I've sorted out a few things.

kierank likes this.
  16. wylie

Thanks @austing. We've been told we will pay tax on any pension until we turn 60. I will double check this though.

My answer to @kierank has probably explained why I believe placing the cash coming to us into offsets is better for us than placing it into super, drawing a pension on what we draw out.

On paper, we earn more within super than our interest saving, but would have to draw a pension, pay tax on that pension and saving interest is a "certain" saving.

Of course, we could place a big chunk into super, not draw a pension yet, and keep some cash free to provide cashflow shortfall for 18 months.

I've modelled different strategies, but haven't actually modelled this one. Time for me to go back to the spreadsheet.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

PS. I did start reading the LIC thread, but it is mostly over my head. I need to make a decision between super and offset within the next week before the super rules change, so I will revisit the LIC idea another time.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? We can discuss over coffee.

Early in July would be good as I am up to my eyeballs with EOFY stuff

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Given your current ages and retired from the workforce you should be able to commence Super pensions. See here for preservation age:
    Preservation of super

The earnings on the pension will then be tax free. Until you reach 60 Tax will be payable on pension withdrawals at marginal tax rate less 15% rebate. Note you are only taxed on that proportion of your pension relating to before tax contributions. Any after tax contributions making up a proportion of your pension won't be taxed.

Depending on previous contributions there's a one off opportunity to get $540k after tax contributions "each" into Super prior to 1 July. This will significantly increase the tax free proportion of your pension. End result could be a pension available now with very little tax.

I'm 57, started Pension at 55, but pay very little tax on the Super pension due to high proportion of after tax contributions. Note I also obtain a decent income from investments outside Super. So paying minimal tax on Super pension prior to 60 is important to me.

Chris Au, Anne11 and kierank like this.
  19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Plenty of sensible opinions here already.. but my 2c are observations based on history...

I've mentioned before (in other threads) that both the 1987 crash and the GFC were preceded by 4-5 quarters of growth at 10%/qtr. That is a good marker for an over-hyped market ready for a crash/correction.

I've recently had a look at the Nasdaq, Dow Jones, S&P 500 and the FTSE 100 indices. The biggest growth was in the Nasdaq at around 6.5%/qtr. The AllOrds by comparison was at about 3.3%/qtr.

My guess is that Aussie stocks are not headed for a crash anytime soon.

Scott No Mates, kierank and wylie like this.
  20. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

There are theoretical arguments to starting retirement with a more conservative risk profile and slowly ratcheting it up with time into retirement. This is because a big drop at the start of retirement can result in an unrecoverable position.

There's also an argument to become more conservative with age, e.g. having your age as the percentage of bonds you own.

However:
    1. The markets are unpreidcatble in the short term.
    2. You have other sources of income i.e. your IPs
    3. There are indicators for a crash that have been around since doomsayers existed, although the ASX is not highly overvalued, the US appears to be (Shiller P/E Ratio: Where Are We with Market Valuations?)

If you go defensive and the market increases, you will kick yourself. If you keep it all in, and it crashes, you will kick yourself.

But if you don't plan on touching the money for 10 years, then leave it.

Not licensed to give advice.