Would you buy this kind of HOUSE? (Any investment / building experts?)

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by henry_ip, 17th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. henry_ip

henry_ip Well-Known Member

I know my newbie questions sounds silly but : what qualification makes a good inspector capable to give buyers accurate opinion the condition of stump?

Suppose he needs to be a certified builder himself? This is a minimum requirement?

I heard about the possibility that if the builder owner of the inspection company also provides building / renovation service, this could be a red flag?

Since it may be a case of conflict of interest? the "builder" inspector could exagerrate the problems with the building structure and encourage the clients to use their building service.

Does that mean we as first time buyers would be safer with pure inspection company with a inspector (who needs to be a certified builder)?

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2020
  2. henry_ip

Im thinking to "flatten" the slope, if I am the owner. So the whole house wont need those long stumps. Makes the whole thing more simple, and this will be more attractive to buyers.

[​IMG]

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

"Fatten the slope" a cut fill and retaining walls. Can't see that being cheap.

Why the worry about the stilts under a small section of the house? The whole house could be substand. Unless you build things yourself or micro manage the project any number of short cuts could have been taken. At some point you have to accept the builder built to relevant code.

I grew up in a county town. Cheap temporary houses where built after the war for refuges 70 years later they are still standing.

wylie and Stoffo like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You'd still need some serious footing design & retaining walls to support the house & retain the fill. The solution would cost more than any value that you believe it would add.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Retrieving all those balls would be bad, but imagine pushing a mower back up :eek:

I would have more concerns with cut and fill sites, as often the fill isn't compacted properly (or piles used) under the slab and later settlement causes issue's :(

At least you can gain access and easily repair any issue's with this example :cool:

wylie and The Y-man like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Exactly.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. henry_ip

Some updates: I got a quote from the structural enginner, $925 + GST, for Site Inspection + Short-Form Report service (This Short-Form Report will include any rectification recommendations for the areas of concern, considering short-term and long-term aspects of the property.)

Is this price reasonable for a 4 bedroom house? Or overpriced?:oops:

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2020
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would just get a regular building inspector for half that price.

henry_ip and MTR like this.
  9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Or a builder mate...

wylie and MTR like this.
  10. henry_ip

Not familiar with the house structure, may i ask if restumping is something common for a 10 year olds house? Or usually older house of 20 years are at this kind of risk?

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think you are worried about something that probably doesn't need to be worried about. Why not just have a regular building inspection that you would do for any house?

Any issues will be raised by the inspector.

12. Scott No Mates

Maybe after 40-50 years.The top of the odd pier may require a little packing under a bearer or joist if the floor is springy after a few years.