Would you buy above a tunnel?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by monty, 16th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. monty

monty Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Once the uncertainty of the roadworks are complete no different than being near a major road.

Understand that this is a main road, there is noise, possibly doesn’t appeal to all buyers, lower entry point to the suburb & may have some restrictions on future development eg. No bored piers or basement.

Possible upside will depend upon who is selling it - roads authority or subsequent owners.

It will move at the same % as other properties in the area.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2016
  3. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I have stayed in hotels in Paris above underground railways and you can hear the trains very clearly, even on the 2nd or 3rd floor!!!

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Look out for the vent stacks, likely noise and exhaust odours although they are managed and monitored.

I'd be more wary of the lesser known tunnels, from convict days etc. The modern ones are structurally sound * and information readily avail. But nowadays all assets have responsible authorities.

There are some cool old tunnels running around the place. In Blackheath there is one under one side of town to the other that locals would have no idea exists.old prisons from back in the day often had them.there's one under Emu Plains from the gaol to old federation house. Bondi has a 100+ year old or running up Blair St, that's why the road is wide. Recently refurbished.
    The road tunnels are easy to find its the poop and storm water ones your excellent DD should find. Any one on top of the North side storage tunnel? Runs from the hills to North Head

freyja likes this.
  5. bob shovel

Look out for the vent stacks, likely noise and exhaust odours although they are managed and monitored.

I'd be more wary of the lesser known tunnels, from convict days etc. The modern ones are structurally sound * and information readily avail. But nowadays all assets have responsible authorities.

There are some cool old tunnels running around the place. In Blackheath there is one under one side of town to the other that locals would have no idea exists.old prisons from back in the day often had them.there's one under Emu Plains from the gaol to old federation house. Bondi has a 100+ year old or running up Blair St, that's why the road is wide. Recently refurbished.
    The road tunnels are easy to find its the poop and storm water ones your excellent DD should find. Any one on top of the North side storage tunnel? Runs from the hills to North Head

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It will be considered a secondary location, usually that means a discount when purchasing, however when selling same applies.

If this bothers you then move on.

MTR:)

Xenia likes this.
  7. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Used to work in a building that was above a rail tunnel. My office was on level 7 and you could feel when every train passed below.

MTR comment thought is probably the best advice.

MTR likes this.
  8. bob shovel

Anyone got some numbers or properties to show evidence of the discounting? For the OP they are premium city locations, there are tunnel under cities everywhere. I would think once you get into the CBD locations the discounting would be unlikely because people want the premium location.

hobo likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Modern rail tunnels havea greater level of vibration isolation than in the older ones. Eg the norwest rail link or the Chatswood - Epping line create very little noticeable vibration or noise compared to the city circle.

Car tunnels don't create the same vibration but fumes as highlighted above are an issue.

hobo and MTR like this.
  10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

There have been some health issues with vent stacks. This may be a thing of the past, but worth investigating before you buy.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Easy, go to realestate.com, check out inner city stuff that are on main roads as opposed to similar properties that are well located/not on main roads, generally there is at least 10-15% discount. They are all secondary locations.

MTR:)

12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

My home is above a tunnel ( the M7 airport link) . It wasn't built when we moved in. Like the legacy Way, no trains just motor vehicles. I objected when it was first proposed but actually there is no effect and I love the convenience of the shortened trip to the airport!

neK, JDP1 and monty like this.
  13. bob shovel

Any change to property value that you know of?

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

We used to have work meetings in the function room at the hotel over the train line at North Sydney. I recall always being able to feel the trains go by.

MTR likes this.
  15. monty

monty Well-Known Member

Thanks for the first hand account.

bob shovel likes this.
  16. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

You said traffic tunnel, so I am assuming you mean vehicular traffic rather than rail.

I note that all of the first-hand negative experiences above are over train tunnels, not car tunnels. I think there's a significant difference in the noise/vibration impact of the two.

I'd be more concerned about looking at current (and future possible) entry/exit points (and associated traffic/noise issues) and vents as noted above. If you are buying after the tunnel is already constructed and everyone has "settled in" around it (ie 6mths after?) then apart from the points I've noted above, I wonder if there would really be any impact at all? Apart from the potential upside of improved access....

PS If you are planning on buying a development with a future underground carpark, then that might be a different scenario.... :p

JDP1 and bob shovel like this.
  17. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

You don't have to be "on a main road" to be "above a tunnel", though.

Are you equating the two?

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

19. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@MTR I definitely agree with the concept of there being "secondary locations" but I don't see anything in the article to say that just living above a tunnel (especially if you can never hear it!) means that a location is secondary?

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sorry I think there are enough clues to work it out for yourself, its not rocket science ....