QLD Would you buy a Queenslander with $700k?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LittleBlueHouse, 13th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LittleBlueHouse

LittleBlueHouse Active Member

Hi everyone,

So I’m fairly new here... although this now makes my third post in a week, sorry!

Basically we’re a late 20’s/early 30’s married couple currently in a 3 bed 1 bath renovated post war on 665sqm in Zillmere (current equity 28%) bought end of 2014. We will turn this into an IP and rent it out.

We’re now looking at buying and moving into another (bigger, better) home, nothing ridiculous but more suitable for when we have kids.

Our budget is around $700k, we’re after a 3-4 bed, 1-2 bath with a deck and backyard. I’m particularly fond of Wavell Heights but we’re not limited to that area. Happy with anything from Zillmere inwards, east like Northgate/Nundah/Wavell/Geebung or even more West like Gaythorne/Mitchelton/Stafford Heights.

This place really caught our eye a few weeks ago, but we are wary of a big Queenslander (in general, due to ongoing maintaince costs etc, and a weird located for this type of house in Zillmere?). It’s on nearly 900sqm which we’re both really keen on as well as we’re used to a generous sized block.
    27 Weston Street Zillmere Qld 4034 - House for Sale #128700110 - realestate.com.au

We also like this place (but haven’t walked through yet). I guess this would have similar ongoing maintainence costs (?), it’s closer to the city / nicer area but only 400sqm.
    87 Grays Road Gaythorne Qld 4051 - House for Sale #129019102 - realestate.com.au

I particularly like this place, the overall feel of the home and the location and a good sized block, but my husband pointed out some asbestos sheeting and stumps that would need replacing so he’s not too keen.
    5 Joppa Lane Wavell Heights Qld 4012 - House for Sale #129156722 - realestate.com.au

Any thoughts?

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Queenslanders are wonderful to live in although chilly in Winter. Buying something well renovated should mean no maintenance for a while. Big block of land best I should think for the family.

LittleBlueHouse likes this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

IMO out of those 3 you will do much better out of Wavell heights. Obviously without knowing more info about your situation, if this is a PPOR you just want to upgrade to without doing any further work. Id consider Elevated parts of Stafford heights with potential city views if you went 2 story in future, or id go Mitchelton/Everton Park and get a large home for that figure.

If you were wanting to do some work and look at it essentially like an investment, get the biggest block in Wavell heights you can since you like this area and upgrade the home to your standard.

4. LittleBlueHouse

Yeah, that’s a worry for us, cold in winter and hot in summer. The opposite of ideal! Haha

We’ve both always loved Queenslanders though and yeah, the big block of land makes it feel so private and can also be useful down the track for Renos/development

The only downside is the area. It’s not a bad area, we’ve been living in Zillmere since 2011 and have liked it but there are much nicer suburbs. I guess it’ll only get better over the next decade or two though like Nundah has

5. LittleBlueHouse

I thought the same thing re Wavell Heights. Seems like it’d be the best option of the 3 but my husband isn’t too keen on it, there’s nothing he “loves” about it and like I said, would need restumping and replacing asbestos sheeting etc, I guess he’d rather avoid that.

Yes, that’s exactly what we’re after. A PPOR that we can just comfortably move into and won’t require a huge amount of work in coming years.
    Yeah, we’ve been looking at Stafford Heights (I like the bonus of city views) otherwise we’re liking Mitchelton/Gaythorne/EP

6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I simply solution is ducted AC
    And a small solar panel set say 4KV

A great upgrade for the house energy efficient and cost little to run.

Also adding insulation to roof and possible under houses another avenue.

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Your postwar is unlikely to be different in maintenance costs or insulation etc unless it is brick.

ycdfdyan and LittleBlueHouse like this.
  8. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the house, in fact the less desirable the better - get the best location and land content you can.

Just about any house can be improved or replaced over time.

Late 20s, no kids - you should be living in a dump and doing it up :)

ycdfdyan and LittleBlueHouse like this.
  9. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Mitchelton and Gaythorne have the most upside due to an ultra convenient commute to city on train in my opinion.

Like wavell heights too but not as convenient.

Personally I don't like Stafford heights area as it seems to be a void of public transport.

ndpjai and Angel like this.
  10. LittleBlueHouse

That's very true. Any house can be improved over time!

11. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Not "replaced" in many suburbs particularly if queenslander. Character overlay

12. LSY

LSY Member

Interesting comment, I'm just now considering buying a place on 546m2 within 20km of Brisbane that is close to land value. The house does not need renovation but it is tiny and could be extended now or rebuilt in a decade. It borders suburbs with medians $200k above this suburb.