Would u choose job u love or higher paid profession ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 8th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

For someone young say 30 years old about to buy a home and start a family , would you stay with a job u loved daily , Which is low stress, secure , enjoyable , flexible if u need it sometimes , nice boss nice colleagues , close to home And u get out of home with very pleasant boss and coworkers .

Or would u look for a higher paid job in the profession u have a uni qualification in ,
    ( accounting ) in order to support your spouse and family on hopefully a higher income and hopefully Have a secure job but it’s all an unknown .

The second job could b isolating working from home but I guess that’s better than long commutes that some jobs could have .

2. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

You spend a long time at work and a long time dead, so definitely the job you enjoy.

wylie likes this.
  3. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Learn to enjoy the higher paying job.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Sort out your goals and priorities. I would suck it up take the money and payout debit. Then go do what I want. Also look at structuring your life to live how you want. Fail to plan is planning to fail. You can't get your goals if you don't know what they are. I climbed a ladder. Got the stupid banks to lend money to a single female (you need a lot or good luck with that) then once I had my super topped up and folio in place....bye bye. Now I'm a kinder teacher having fun. I work 230 days a year. Rest is paid holidays. Currently, I live in China. And on the frequent holidays I get, I go wherever. That's one example of thinking.

Empire, spoon, 27269 and 3 others like this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Not a hard one for me

Life isnt meant to be a slog

ta
    rolf

Lauren350 likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I took the part rime job five minutes away from home back when I was in my mid-twenties. I have been working part time locally ever since, except when I was a full-time professional Mum.

The cash saved from the daily costs balances out any commute to a higher-paying role. I can elaborate later, gotta leave now!

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

wonder if people overestimate how secure a job is when they enjoy it........

Empire and Propertunity like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd stick with the job that is flexible, good boss, good workmates and that I enjoy over a higher paying job any day.

Who are you asking this for? Is it a child, or the partner of a child? What does the person involved want to do?

As long as he/she can manage financially, what about doing extra work as an accountant at busy times, or from home as a top up to the income?

I'd hate working in a job I hate just to earn more money than I could get in a job I love.

craigc, Anne11 and Lizzie like this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

What @wylie said. Do the job you enjoy, maybe start a book-keeping job or similar on the side for flexible, extra income if necessary.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Propertunity likes this.
  10. Optimus

Are we all forgetting the first 2 paragraphs of the op?

11. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

The question should be reworded:

Why would you NOT choose a job you love?

bashworth, Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If someone is about to buy a house and start a family, the same principals would apply if this was my decision. I guess the unknown is whether the accounting job might be just as enjoyable as the current job. Nobody can know that.

13. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

a) No
    b) No
    c) Start you own business and work for yourself and be your own boss.
    There is no such thing as a secure job. You need to skill yourself to be a value-add to any enterprise. You determine your own destiny.

14. Optimus

Imo when you're young (30) probably spent 4 years at uni (wasted if you're not going to pursue it) there is no better time to knuckle down and stick to the plan (presumption after going to uni)

Although i took the post as this person is the "breadwinner"

Stoffo likes this.
  15. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

none of them are massive earners currently very average and we dont know with future babies and young kids if his wife will find a way to earn from home.

yes. They are the main breadwinner and they themselves, see validity to both arguments of definitely the strong longing and wish to stay in the current enjoyable, low stress, local job, with nice colleagues and boss.

or
    while young pursue the career you went to uni to get a degree for , to earn maybe 20000 or so more a year. for a young family's ongoing expenses.
    it will be absolutely be much more stressful than his current job. Anything would be. whether it will work and be secure and not too stressful and make him proud of his achievements and proud to support his family better, who knows. Only time will tell.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do the maths.

$20k per annum is how much after tax?
    Then take away the cost of the commute, perhaps $100 a week or another $5000 p. What about the cost of drinks and lunches out, more expensive clothes and shoes, if that is the case, and the expected unpaid overtime.

What price does he put on the time away from his wife and children, especially if they are going to have a baby soon?

I would stick with the pleasant work environment and start to build up a few after hours clients. he can always look into a higher paying role in a few year's time if something else changes to make it worth the cost.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  17. Optimus

Agree for only 20k extra it's a no brainer... if i could give away 20k to have all the luxuries above, I'd jump at it.

craigc and Lizzie like this.
  18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In the original situation proposed, take the higher paying job, work hard and save harder (as most just spend more if they earn it), pay down PPOR dept/build up an investment portfolio ;) Have a 5-10-15 year plan to change and stick to it :rolleyes:

Then transfer to option 2 :D
    Often option 2 doesn't pay all that well (who needs to stress about money)

It all comes back to being established and having savings/equity, reduce your costs and build a buffer early, so you can then do what you want later :)

(*exactly what we try to tell the kids about effort and reward, then they go off and learn the hard way regardless :()

Edit- said from a male's view. Though the same could be said for many genders, get educated, have a career, work hard early, save, then in late 30's have kids/travel the world, volunteer, just make sure that at some point you actually enjoy a section of your life, AS IT IS TOO SHORT !

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2020
    Optimus likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That was also my first thought ... $20,000 isn't much compensation after expenses ... and most people usually find they increase their expenses to fit their income rather than saving

20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Re reading this, I'd stay in the current low stress job :cool:
    I mean should things in life go south or they get thrown a curve ball they have you @justine77 to help when needed (as you can easily help financially).
    Then just sit back and wait for the financial windfall/inheritance :D

Lizzie likes this.