Would expect the landlord to pay?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chilliblue, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

We have a property that has had the front entrance door lever damaged with the tenant stating that someone must have tried to break in.

However, we installed a security screen door at the request of the tenant only 6 months ago at our cost and at her request which she has now informed the agency she never bothers to use.

To top it off, she has stated that the lever needs to a be knob.

My thoughts are that we replace the lever at our cost.

Opinions welcome.

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

It doesn't work why?

A knob is an unsatisfactory opener - arthritics etc can't grasp it. A single action lever handle is preferable.

Perp likes this.
  3. Lu Bracher

Lu Bracher Well-Known Member

1. If the door is damaged due to intruder, we tell tenants we need a QP# otherwise it is deemed they or persons they allowed on the property have done this.
    2. Security screen door knob request change to handle - as a pm I would tell her to do it herself and provide our office with a receipt from someone suitable. Fact that she doesn't use it, annoying but I wouldn't go changing something just because it doesn't suit them.

4. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

QP# ? is that a Queensland Police report number?

5. Lu Bracher

Police report number - this is the only exception to let them off

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Interesting agency policy, but not really reflective of the legal position. Did that policy ever get challenged?

7. Lu Bracher

Nope, the reality is - the property has been handed over to them in a condition. The return of that property legally has to be less 'reasonable wear and tear'
    If there is any damage, they are responsible. If they don't believe they are the cause, they need to notify Police and advise our office of report number.
    I'm could just be a grumpy old woman these days but I generally don't believe them unless they have proof.

No one has challenged this, they are probably too scared to with me. However, I would be putting up a good argument before the adjudicator if there is damage to the property - I do all our court hearings and I'm not shy to express my opinions. If I'm wrong I'm wrong they'll tell me and I'll learn from it.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The PM is not there to be like (all the time).

Esh likes this.
  9. Chilliblue

An update. The tenant has paid for the replacement handle as she did not want to make a police report. Thanks for the replies.

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Firstly, the legal test is not what you describe. Forget about 'reasonable wear and tear' - that term gets thrown around way too much without hardly anyone knowing what it actually means.

A tenant is only liable for any damage they intentionally or negligently cause. The onus of proof is on the claimant - the landlord. This means the tenant has to have done something wrong, which led to the damage, and the landlord or agent has to prove it to the civil standard.

And the whole attitude of 'having a crack' at court/tribunal - well this is a personal bugbear of mine. Fair enough if its just your own matter, but if we're talking about a professional who is representing clients, then I don't think just having a crack without proper reference to the law is good enough to take a matter to hearing.

When I was a duty lawyer at the courts, it was heaps of this kind of stuff that clogged up the court lists, wasted everyone's time, and left the loser (landlord and property managers usually) pretty bitter about wasting their time and money. Of course, they thought it was the fact that the courts were biased against landlords - and hence the myth continues.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds awfully like she made up the "someone tried to break in" story to get out of paying. If she did think someone tried to break in, she would have been happy to file a police report.

12. Chilliblue

That was our thinking

Esh likes this.
  13. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

funny what some people would do to try and get their way

14. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

insurance companies also have a similar requirement - if a person claims a insured item is 'stolen'

15. Lu Bracher

Lol @thatbum - we are only property managers not lawyers.
    Fair wear and tear is what we are legally given to work with - s188
    We have to go to tribunal anyway to get compensation. My approach is just to make it clear to tenants who should reasonably pay for what.

Attached Files: