Worth fixing vibration issue on existing Ducted air con?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by neK, 20th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is worth trying to fix the vibration issue on my Air Con? If so, what should I be looking at in terms of cost?

Currently, my ducted air con outdoor unit is mounted on my near flat metal roof.
    While the air con works, it is loud, but mainly from the vibration of the metal roof itself.

I thought about replacing it, but i do plan to do some renovations in the next 12-36 months, so i don't really want to shell out for a ducted air con unit only to remove it again.

Is there a way to fix the vibration issue - eg replacing pads etc? or is it really hit and miss?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd definitely buy some vibration reduction pads from Bunnings and see if you can stop the vibration. That would drive me batty.

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are the bearings in the ac going or screws on roof failed? Fix the cause rather than treating the symptom.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Could also wear a hole in the roof sheets. Worth having an installer have a look at the issues.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates what's the typical shelf life of ducted ac anyway?

Mines been regassed about 5 years ago, but every time I run it in heater mode, it runs for 20 mins, then it stops functioning for 30 mins, then process repeats - I believe it goes into de-ice mode.

It's been coping for this Sydney weather the last few weeks.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I manage some split systems which are around 30 years old - provided they are maintained (regassed, serviced, filters cleaned, condensate pipe insulation replaced etc.

neK likes this.