World Indices Roundup 2019

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by keroppi, 6th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Arhhhhh the old investment plan, yes thanks to you I spent many days putting it together and I'm pretty happy with it. Still some fine tuning.

I have a stack of dividends coming in this month, so yes I will be deploying some cash for a few purchases as part of my total return investing strategy ;)

Nodrog likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yeah that reminds me, one day I should put together a plan for myself:D.

Foxdan likes this.
  3. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

I think with your enlightenment of investing, your financial plan will be lessons learnt along your rewarding financial journey.

4. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

So I’m not the only one here just wingin’ it? ;)

Froxy likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he. Yes, as per Thornhill along the lines of “do what I say, not what I do”:cool:.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Provided I can remember them at my age:).

7. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I would not be doing anything at this time.
    The time to get in has long passed and the time to light up if you did has also imo.

Unless it goes down to 4k again it's just a wait n see imo.

8. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

This has come up a few times before - asx hasn't even surpassed pre-gfc highs. From the discussion back then, it seemed that comparing US and AUS indices is not necessarily a like for like comparison.

I.e. shouldn't you be comparing total returns here, using an accumulation index?

The idea being AUS companies have a higher payout ratio, therefore the share price is a smaller proportion of the total return.

I'm thinking out loud here, I'm just not sure how we translate it into "euphoria"? Should we take into account total returns, not just share price?

9. Snowball

I don’t think price levels a decade ago or any time are necessarily helpful in assessing whether we’re overvalued today.

And you’re right when comparing markets previous performance that total return is the best measure to use.

Think @Nodrog is probably saying that for all the talk about the markets run, prices haven’t hit a record high yet.

Price is an important measure of sentiment because it tells us how much people are willing to pay for a dollar of earnings.

Makes sense (to me) to look at PE ratio and level of interest rates to see if current market is reasonable or not. Doesn’t look all that expensive by that measure. More so when considering rates don’t look like going up for a long while.

That’s obviously not to say the market can’t fall a long way at any time! :eek:

So we’re back to square one - nobody knows what’s going to happen :D

sharon and Burgs like this.
  10. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Exactly, dollar cost average is your friend, well, my friend anyway!

Burgs likes this.
  11. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

XJO top, are we there yet? It may well be in or very soon. If it's not, watch 24 July or thereabouts. Siri told me this. Then comes weeks/months of decline.

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2019
    Redwing and sharon like this.
  12. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

13. Snowball

Hope you’re right! Would love to top up at much lower prices.

Redwing, Burgs, monk and 1 other person like this.
  14. helena83

helena83 Well-Known Member

While I myself have recently changed my portfolio allocation to very conservative, with mostly cash and fixed interest, I'm leaning towards your point.

The worst crashes are preceded by significant exuberance yet I'm not sensing that this time. While the market is inching up, there's a lot of negative mainstream reporting, the taxi drivers and fruit shop vendors aren't telling me to buy shares, and most funds are relatively highly weighted in cash.

I once read about the Greater Fool theory. The theory goes that the market is sure to go down once the greatest fool has bought and there is no greater fool left to sell to. Basically that for the market to keep going up, there needs to be sellers and buyers. If the market has raced up because all the buyers have become owners, then there's no more buyers left and all the owners are potential sellers. The market plummets when those owners need, or desperately want, to sell.

So while I expect some short term weakness as buyers willing to pay high prices dry up, there are so many potential buyers - fund managers - sitting on cash waiting to buy, that I expect that a small to reasonable correction will be enough to turn them quickly into buyers and provide a reasonably stable support from further falls. Unless of course there is some other unexpected shock to the market.

15. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

If at 10am this morning there was (suddenly) a 20% sale on 'all stock' I would think it was Christmas already! As Tony barber used to say, "let's go shopping" :cool:

16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Alternatively:

Nodrog likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear @SatayKing. You’ve been listening to your local Canberra radio. (For the non Canberra people, Tim Shaw has been hosting a local radio breakfast show. Though I still haven’t listened to him yet.)

18. SatayKing

I didn't know he was on the ABC or ArtSound.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The only time I've actually heard him live is at a free symphony concert by the riverside at Queanbeyan. I mostly listen to stuff from the phone via Bluetooth, otherwise NewsRadio or Classic FM.

But he sometimes get mentioned in the local rag.

20. SatayKing

I honestly didn't know he was on local radio.

Apologies folks for the total thread drift. A bad habit of mine and one which I'm not attempting to overcome.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.