World city prices over 5 years

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

Here’s a good video:

However I had mining shares in 2007. Purchased at $9, peaked at $12 in 2008 then tanked to $1.5 and are now sitting at $5. Ten years on and have still not recovered.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Long is relative, similarly high is relative.

While history is no guide to the future, at some stage the markets will strengthen again.

Many dynamics are different than previous cycles

ta
    rolf

3. DrunkSailor

What’s going on with the Royal Commission? UBS said in July that the tightening is only a third through. It’s going to start hitting owner occupiers soon. Is this true?

apra said most of the heavy lifting has been done but others forecast deeper restrictions to come.

4. Rolf Latham

dunno

Id suggest that its a beat up so as to be able to get more research dollars for more beat up.

I havent read the report, since most of these things are an opinion, often based on others 3rd party opinions on some stats that someone else came up with - very little first grade or first line research - as a s scientist - pass.

Logic tells me there is further risk limitations around holding further capital and some other things, mainly to do with some thing called Basel 4 - someone that knows about this stuff can perhaps comment.

If we are a 3rd through by whatever measure that is, then perhaps we will see assessment rates of 3 x 7.25 :), or max lvrs of 30 %.

ta
    rolf

5. DrunkSailor

And the media hysteria now calling the banks criminal. That’s bad optics. Credit crunch level optics?

6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Well you can always sit on the beach.
    but at this rate all your going to get is Sunburn.

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I don't know that there is a percentage actually. Arguably as many as possible. Civility is encouraged where people can hope to own their own piece of the country, and their children can as well. When people can see reward for effort you tend to get peace.

8. Rolf Latham

makes sense

I was just thinking of where Im from, 70 % of peops have no show of ever owning and its all cool

ta

rolf

9. hobartchic

There are obviously other factors that affect it. High income can insulate people. High rent assistance can also insulate people. Easy access to public housing would also ameliorate , things. If people lose their jobs, and have low welfare to fall back on (single unemployed), with minimum wage the ability to buy a house is critically important.

10. hobartchic

If things get bad enough I guess we'll all be "grateful for our sunburn" too!

11. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I don't think Germans care much about home ownership as Aussies do. So many people that I know are happy with their renting lifestyle. So for me, having a house to live is a right but owning it is a priviledge.

12. hobartchic

Germans have a greater proportion of public housing and it's better quality than average:
    Most Germans don’t buy their homes, they rent. Here’s why

13. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

What a coincidence. I was just watching this DW doco the other day about inequality in Germany. They may not be as obsessed as we are when it comes to property but as you can see in this video some do dream of owning a home.