works estimate figure for council planning application

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rooky, 29th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Hi All,

While submitting development application to council, owner needs to provide approximate cost of proposed development. I heard many people revise down the figure to save on the application cost as application cost is based on this amount. What have you known about this practice? Does it have any implications if this figure is shown lower? One can always argue that actual cost of development is not known until final building contract is signed.

Rooky

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Use a plug and play number from a QS website or construction cost guide. The council will.

3. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

I've never seen a council question the fee. Also, read the fine print... It may exclude earthworks, site works and GST.

Westminster likes this.
  4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

In Vic the categories are pretty broad - eg up to $500k, over $1million etc etc so it's not too important to be 100% accurate.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The amount (here in Perth) should be construction only - ie does not need to include turnkey items. For a triplex Iā€™d generally use $1000 per square meter of construction on that basis, so if your total construction is 3 x 160sqm then I would put $480,000 as the value.

Rooky likes this.
  6. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

I asked this question to Joondalup council and they said that if you put too lower figure then while applying for building permit, they will adjust development application fees and will charge extra to cover shortfall.

7. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

I find this unlikely, as long as it's within reason you'll be fine.

8. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

In Sydney some DA submissions require you to engage an independent QS to prepare an estimate - fairly cheap to do, but I think it's the independent and qualified part they care about.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.