Working Drawings Queries

Discussion in 'Development' started by BillyGoat, 24th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

32k for working drawings!!!!!!!

My builder charged 5k deposit which includes drafting and working drawings. This included about 4 amendments I have had them make.

That said its a single home but still. That seems ridiculous to me.

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Builders are different to private.

For one, the builder retains copyright. Don't like the price? Start again.

3. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

Yea, I didn't want to give the op false hope but i provide detailed survey and concept floor plans and <$2000 later I have working drawings and engineer details and specs.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Are you a surveyor or drafty?

5. Satban

Satban Member

This is a very old thread but probably releant to my question. I am looking to build an unit that is already TP approved.

Scenario 1:
    I have seen few builders and they all say they can/will do the working drawings if you throw between 3-5K as advance and then they can price the build exactly. They entice you further saying this will all be adjusted against the build and that it is only a draftee's job and they will redo the drawings anyway.

Scenario 2:
    I have spoken with architects and they say get your working drawings from us and then you have the right over those copies and you can get builders to provide exact quote. In that way you are never tied with a builder who has done your drawing.

Both scenarios sound reasonable. the unit itself is a simple double storied unit with split level on the ground floor.

Any suggestion from past experiences?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Have you contacted the original designer from when it got it's town planning approval? Was than an architect, draftsperson or .....?

It is true that a builder may redraw and that price will be in the price of construction whether you get an architect or not to do the working drawings. But they should be able to give somewhat accurate figures based on the approval drawings which can help you to narrow it down and select builder rather than tendering out the working drawings.

Things to consider
    1. the current drawings won't have engineering on them and as it's a sloped block (assumed as you say split level) then the cost of whatever engineering solution cannot be fully quantified at the moment. Your architect might engage an engineer to do the works as part of the drawings and what they engineer might be different to what your appointed builder might like to do. Again wasted money
    2. all sales people are liars
    3. all larger project home builders will underquote then once you commit whack stuff on

Take all that with a grain of salt as I'm jaded :p However my gut says that if you can get approx costings from builders now and find a good small to medium sized builder to go with then I would get them to do the working drawings. They will draw the plans the way that they build which does help with keeping costs down.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  7. Satban

Satban Member

Spoke with the original designer. An architect. They have done the working drawing for the unit beside me as well so they are vouching on knowing the whole deal with land and the unit behind. Also yes, it is a sloped block.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.