Education & Work Working as a woman can be frustrating

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am sure if I was female, then they would start to colour my hair.

To me, it goes to show that both genders can be sexist :) :).

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The women in this thread have not been critical at all in the way you claim (though it's always hard to tell who is really who on the Internet).

And if they are, so what? That's the beauty of free speech - and that's a woman's right too.

When men resort to saying 'but women are critical of other women' it is a pathetic excuse for inequality. It is a sign that those men feel slightly uncomfortable about embedded sexism but really don't want to put much effort into putting it right. They'd rather blame women.

Gockie and Xenia like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If you were female, getting rid of grey hair would probably mean you want it coloured not cut out lol.
    That's the expectation
    There are differences in behaviour and catering to those differences is sometimes just good business sense

4. kierank

No, I didn't. They don't get rid of the grey hairs, they just make them shorter!!!

wylie, Marg4000 and Xenia like this.
  5. kierank

I would have thought that good business sense would be to ask the customer to clarify their needs, rather than make one assumption for men (i.e. to cut) and another assumption for women (i.e. to colour).

I have been to male and female hairdressers and had both display the same sexual bias against me because I am a male.

Last edited: 16th Mar, 2017
    willair and Xenia like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Communication isn't always verbal.
    You actually do want your grey hair "shorter" not longer and coloured.
    But yes I do agree with your view point.

kierank likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The local Indian hairdresser money transfer business used to have a sign up on the footpath Haircuts $15.00 or $5.00 per side and when you walked in the Gentleman had about 30 photos of different haircuts on the wall,,you just pointed too which one you wanted,,every time i walked passed that sign it made my day..

kierank likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Kieran
    Maybe one day someone is going to interpret "get rid of the grey hair" as taking a wax strip and giving you that sexy bald look lol

... and no, no one would never assume a woman wants that unless she specifically has said so.

kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

Yep, another example of sexual bias :) :).

If it is rampant in an industry like hairdressing, then what hope do we have for all the others?

willair and Xenia like this.
  10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Women haven't been critical of each other in this thread (or the parts that I read), that's true but I never claimed they had. I was talking from my own work experience.

If you want to see me as the male oppressor, that's fine, but real change isn't going to happen unless all sexism is addressed, if you ignore a crucial part, then it's going to be impossible in my opinion.
    It's in the same way that many women magazines have anorexic models on one page and on the next they've got an editorial of how men are expecting women to be skinny and that this is wrong. And while that's obviously a fair argument, I think that a lot of the pressures for women to be skinny come from women.

Slightly different argument, but I think it's in the same vein (or should that be vain? ;))

Gladys, wylie, legallyblonde and 3 others like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I agree. Women can be terrible towards other women. Some women think it's better to put others down than to lift others up.
    That attitude and mentality needs to stop.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And so do some men.

It is not related to the argument against sexism at all.

13. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Not against sexism no.. but totally relevant to @Gockie's original post.

spludgey likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can't address sexism by going against sexism, it's hate and fear vs more hate and fear. You can't ever solve a problem with the same consciousness that has created it.

The problem can be addressed by rising above it, women standing up and being women - not identified as someone's mother, sister, wife... but women standing in their own power and being whatever they want to be and not giving a toss about stereotypes, feeling guilty about doing the wrong thing or what anyone is going to say or think - other women included and importantly being happy at just being women.

You can't save the world you can only control what is within your circle of influence and you can only change yourself.

The end goal would be acceptance of the differences between men and women, we can only do this when we are ready to let go of the fear and hate that sexism creates and to allow unity, acceptance and unconditional love - the essence of every soul in the absence of fear based conditioning.

Men are men and women are women there are a lot of differences which when embraced can be complimentary and create harmony not friction.

However you can only accept and love other people to the extend that you accept and love yourself and if everyone practiced some self acceptance instead of being offended by and trying to change other people, it will lead to allowing the space for others to grow and more self acceptance and there is no space for sexism in that place.

wylie and kierank like this.
  15. Gockie

Hi Xenia, appreciate your input. I think though with this statement you posted,
    My response is:
    "One can easily count the seeds in an apple, yet no one can count the apples from the one seed."
    This thread has around 2500 views. So lets assume maybe 250 people have seen it. If those 250 people tell 10 people of something they picked up from this thread that they had never previously considered, and in turn those 10 people tell another 5 people or so....
    We have a snowball effect...
    You may have a larger circle of Influence than you first thought...

spludgey, Xenia and kierank like this.
  16. kierank

Men can be terrible towards other men.

And so do some women.

So, we are equal. Not the sort of equality I was looking for.

Marg4000 and legallyblonde like this.
  17. Gockie

Lol

kierank likes this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

How are you Gockie?
    I didn't mean not to try and do anything because you dont have power, I meant it as - focus on changing yourself FIRST.
    Peace is sometimes achieved by just being peaceful.

The underlying psychology that causes sexism towards both men and women is based on fear and hate and quite yukky. Why even go there if you can just view it from above, not allow it to enter your space and teach other people do do the same.

19. Gockie

Agree, you need to be right yourself. And the personal motto i've adopted in my life is "Be the change you want to see in the world".
    Simple but it sums up everything I want to achieve in life, it's my higher goal.
    Brilliant, is it not? We all have power to make the world a better place if we choose to accept that challenge.
    :)

Last edited: 16th Mar, 2017
    legallyblonde and Xenia like this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It IS brilliant that we have the power to make those changes. <3

Gockie likes this.