Wooden floor repair after removing kitchen bench

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kristen, 7th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kristen

Kristen Member

Hi All - First time renovator - I'm looking at a potential property at the moment which has a bench in a really awkward position and so I want to be able to move it (as I need to redo the entire kitchen anyway) but the floors are gorgeous. The whole space is open kitchen/dining/lounge with floorboards already there and they're in beautiful condition, so what do you do when you obviously then remove something and have to find something to replace them with? Can you ever match?! No idea what the 'done' thing is with this and any advice appreciated as replacing the entire floor for essentially three rooms for one 1x2m space seems odd....?

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Talk to a carpenter/ master builder. They should be able to find a solution with you. Though it does depend on the entire structure.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do the boards continue (unpolished) under the benches which is usual with older houses on stumps? Or is it floating floor that only runs up to the benches?

4. Kristen

Kristen Member

I'm not yet sure - it's an extension, so it may only be floating floors. It hasn't been removed yet so I'm not sure how to tell - but I guess I preparing for worst case if there is no flooring underneath?

5. Cookie15

Cookie15 Active Member

I'm extending the kitchen to a section with different floorboards to the rest... I think I'm just going to accept there will be some variation rather than trying to replace them to match the rest.

Is the house highest, can you see from underneath the house if there's floorboards upstairs under that bench?