Wood rot in external weatherboards - Colourbond it?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by hudbry, 7th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Hi there.

I hope you guys can give me some direction please.

Got an issue of wood rot in some of the external weatherboards on some of the units. I have attached some photos to give an idea.

I've have had a builder come in and he suggested it's a big job which could cost a fair bit: cutting out all the rotten weatherboard, treating them, finding similar weatherboard profile to replace them. He also said that the rot may have gone to other places which we won't know until we start ripping the weatherboards off.
    I'm basically trying to come up with as many solutions to the problem as I can with cost being an issue well. One of them is:

Rather than ripping out, cutting, treating and replacing with weatherboards, can we simply stud over the existing weatherboards and then colourbond over the top of it?

The key question I guess is by colourbonding over it, will I stop the rot from getting worse or will it continue to spread underneath?

Are there any other options without ripping off the existing weatherboards?

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Find and fix the cause (leaking gutter/downpipe) first. Even if you use other material, your frames will start to get damage (and if you are in a warmer part of NSW, you'll be inviting termites too).

The Y-man

MikeyBallarat, Phase2, wylie and 2 others like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this. Damage looks like being caused by leaking downpipe and window seal. Other is just age and weathering. Fix the cause then replace timbers and repaint as builder suggested.

MikeyBallarat and hudbry like this.
  4. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys. I appreciate your advice.

I'm looking at replacing the window frames for sure .The downpipes and guttering have already been fixed.

As mentioned, all in really looking for is a way to keep the units going and ensure their sustainability for as long as possibly. The units were bought for rental yield. I thought colourbonding then might work best for that. Less re painting, no issues with rot etc etc.

The reason colourbonding came to mind is that I have a large stockpile of it already, mostly good, almost new stuff, due to most of my home town being re-roofed after a hail storm. Even got new sheets from the roofers! Was think I could use this to help cut costs down.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Replacing weatherboards is not difficult (assuming you can find the right profile). If the studs have rotted, it’s best to find out now. Hiding it won't help.

You don t need a builder for this work, a carpenter or skilled handy person (experience with installing weatherboards) would be fine. Get more than one quote.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would be hard for any builder to quote on those external walls,because most of the rot is long term from a leaking 45* bend and maybe the gutter outlet..
    So all the wall frames from the eves down depending as the frame will be hardwood may have to be re-framed also and the deeper you dig the more you will find..

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2018
    Stu and hudbry like this.
  7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's very easy to clad over your timber and make the rot worse.

Replacing old timber external board isn't really THAT big of a job though?

MikeyBallarat and Joynz like this.
  8. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.

Ok, sounds like I am going to have to chop out, treat, and replace the affected weatherboards, and then, perhaps later, to add value and longevity to the units, clad the outside in the Colourbond I have.

If I'm going to do that, and fix the window sills I guess I'll get the carpenter to ensure the sills cater for the battens and Colourbond.

Thoughts?

9. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Yes, fair point .

I'm going to head up with a carpenter mate of mine and see what we can do. I'll get him to do the window sills and look at the rest of it.

On the north side of the units, in an unused, undercover area there are good quality weatherboards which we pull off and can use to replace the rotten ones on the south. Can then simply fibro up the south area after.

10. yorkie

yorkie Well-Known Member

Hi mate,
    Just pull off the rotten boards and check the frames then clad in the colorbond you have . Cheap.

11. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, yes. Don't bother spending time and money taking off good weatherboards to re-apply, just clad over the gaps!!?
    Do I have to use battens for the colourbond or can I simply go straight into the weatherboard?

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd fix what needs fixing (unless you plan on demolishing the place down the track). Once you clad over the chamfer boards you'll have no idea if they are rotting away. I wouldn't do that.

13. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Yes, true, but if I remove all the rotten board before doing so, and check the frames behind, and THEN clad, that should be ok?

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I thought you meant replace the boards with new ones, and then clad over them.

Do you think cladding will look better than chamfer? I'd be inclined to repair, replace and repaint. No cladding. Are you only wanting to use it because you already have it? Would you buy this cladding if you didn't already have it?

Some places (beach houses) look great clad in ripple iron, but suburban houses generally look a bit out of place.

15. Cat in Boots

Cat in Boots New Member

I'll warn U...wet weatherboards will attract the flying QUEEN termites in a wkend (& I'm NOT joking)...cladding will just temporarily hide it...U need to TERMITE PROOF before ANY cover-over...or it WILL come back to bite U. U could lose the WHOLE property if it gets infested with termites, under the cladding. They claim U can't termite proof it urself...U need professionals...that's a LIE...& there is NO law to say so...U CAN...just get the right products & USE plenty (& use self protection doing so)...& recheck. Like using flea-control on a dog. Most of all...as said above...if U have leakage, blocked gutters or damp probs...it WILL pay to have them FIXED. U could lose the WHOLE LOT if U just want to cut corners. RENT money should always be divided to be READY for maintenance if the property is aging. Insurance won't cover ur ignorance or arrogance. If U spend ALL rent money & don't consider that...it WILL come back to BITE U.

16. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply and advice .
    Yes, that was an original option, but after advice was was thinking it taking the affected boards off and then clad over it all .
    Yes, was thinking of using cladding since I have access to loads of it and in terms of maintainance it's easier than repainting every 5-10 years .
    I also wonder it it's quicker to clad than paint it......?
    :)
    I do take your point on it maybe looking out of place though. I ran it by a real estate up there and they seemed to think it a good idea for adding value..........?

17. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Again, a very good point .Hence me wanting to do the right thing . Don't mean to be arrogant at all, however I have perhaps been a little ignorant, again the reason for me posting this .

I was going to get a pest person in there to check first and treat.
    I'm a few hours away making the real all the harder .My managing agent is good though.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just re-install second hand from a demo yard and leave the other section as it is but the area will have to treated before you start the entire footprint -the cost for new per mts is very high,plus you don't have to replace all the external just the rotten ones..imho..

19. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Yes, that's an option too. Thanks for the idea.
    Is rather not be buying new boards . The difficulty is finding ones the same profile though .

20. 14032

14032 Member

ok - was in a sort of similar position with one of my properties. 1950's wb commission style home where the boards themselves were in remarkably great condtion but sadly the 20 or so coats of paint were not. In the end I bit the bullet and reclad the place. Stripping the boards took a day for 2 of us.

I used a cement sheet WB system BGC Innova - Nuline Plus | Weatherboard Style House Facades (there are plenty of manufacturers around) and employed 2 carpenters to install some sisalation & re-board it. Took them approx 2.5 days. Job done. Total cost was around $6000 + painting.

Allow a little more if there are studs needing to be replaced because of rot.

hudbry likes this.