Woke Movement/Culture

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 19th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

One of the things that annoys me the most about woke movement / culture is the way that it is selectively applied and nuances of it which end with these hypocritical situations.

For example, a white teenager wearing a traditional Chinese dress to prom was lambasted for cultural appropriation in 2018, while recently a young black woman performing traditional Irish dancing was celebrated for cultural appreciation.

I think whether something is 'ok' or not should come down to the intent as was alluded to in @MTR's second video above.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jul, 2020
    Blueskies, MTR and Archaon like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree if we are changing names needs to be context

Redskins change of name was due to pressure from their sponsors. Change or forgo $$$$ that simple

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Would all the Media labelling the riots in the USA atm as "peaceful protests" when they are anything but, be issued with a 'Fact Check' under their articles, highly doubtful.

These Post-modernists don't believe in objective truth, so who decides what is true?

Also, their ideology demands segregation along racial groups, how is this good for society moving forward? We need unity, and people to come together under a common identity.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm a privileged white male. Far be it from me to complain about anybody from another culture who may feel slighted, or even offended, by any action which may be seen by them as offensive, even to a slight degree.

My daughters are persons of colour. They have taught me just how pervasive bad attitudes are towards people of colour, and how different they have been made to feel over the years. It's very seldom overt racism, but often is felt even if subtle. It ranges from "but where are you really from" to being singled out to have her bags examined in a shopping centre.

Perp, Propagate, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the "peaceful protestors" who were actually protesting peacefully until they were teargassed to allow Trump to walk to the church for a photo op might also be interested in having the truth out there.

And if any protestors did create riots then the truth needs to be told. But that's also disputed - who actually did start some of those riots? There are reports (and photos) showing at least one was identified as a cop, turning a peaceful protest into something different when he started smashing windows. He was chased away by peaceful protestors.

There were peaceful protestors protecting stores from rioters and protect cops who were separated from the rest of the force.

There is good and bad in all walks. Don't we all understand this?

And if protestors start to riot, deal with them as they should be dealt with.

What's difficult about this?

Perp, Propagate and geoffw like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That comment alone signifies the power of social media to propagate misinformation that is then re-posted ... the vast majority of the protests are peaceful but a certain segment of reporting is determinedly focusing on the very small minority of those who are not peaceful.

Those who seek the facts behind the headlines also know that many of the "violent" protests and looting were not actually undertaken by protesters.

There is also action being taken by a certain segment to stir up the peaceful protesters to try and create violence. Fortunately this is not working in most circumstances.

So yes, fact checking is welcome

Perp and wylie like this.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

The differences of opinions in this thread, both of which have valid facts to support them, demonstrate exactly why forced fact checking is not a viable solution.

"There is no arrangement of facts that is purely objective."

Archaon and MTR like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There are plenty of facts - one just have to seek them instead of purely looking for confirmation bias'

9. Guest

Guest Guest

o_O I didn't say there were no facts. I was pointing out they can be selectively used to drive just about any narrative you want.

Angel and MTR like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you believe this to be the case with the statements coming from the WH and Trump? Statements that are so easy to be proved as false? There's no leeway for any sort of bias in many of these statements.

Perp and Propagate like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

They've branched out

datto likes this.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't really want to address this as I am not sure which statement you are referring to and I feel it's heading both off topic and would lead to discussions that are not allowed here.

MTR likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Wow. They got into gyms. I think they had an Indian guru running the show and they were pretty much anything goes lol.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is too much for my little brain to take in:confused:

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This was interesting and was removed as seen to be racist

African American history museum releases ‘whiteness’ chart

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So US you have coffee with cream with Or without, meaning milk Or no milk

So in Oz will we get rid of black coffee or white coffee???
    Where will it end:confused:

18. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I didn't say all protests were riots.

I said they have labelled riots as peaceful protests.

Saying things like police car overturned at peaceful protest, police hospitalised at peaceful protest. These occurrences no longer deem the protest peaceful, it has decended after these instances occur, but well done gas lighting my statement. Much like you have framed my comment, that's how the media is framing the occurrences in a positive light.

Yes there are those instigating violence, Antifa is an example if this, though the media would have you believe that Antifa don't exist. There have been reports of building materials strategically placed along protest routs such as bricks etc so windows can be smashed.

MTR likes this.
  19. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Black coffee or white coffee is simply a descriptor, like ordering a white shirt or black trousers. There's no negative history or association attached to it, unlike something like say the Dirty Kanza cycling race in Kansas where the indigenous people are referred to as the Kanza, therefore although not intended as such, the name "The Dirty Kanza" has negative connotations for the local indigenous people.

Ridiculous you might say? Well lets take that to the extreme and swap Kanza with N word and see how you go.

Perp and wylie like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, but some may find this offensive??? Who knows, Woke me

I made the mistake of saying black coffee in US ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.