Technology & Social Media Wireless Access Points

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Raydar, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I have just installed these at home. I was getting crappy wireless coverage and speed. So some googling and I found these.
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
    They were relatively cheap and give me fantastic coverage for the whole house, backyard and even neighbours place.
    I have even been a bit cheeky and setup 5 SSID's, all a little bit clever.

They also have some other pretty cool other products. I just needs some spare $$$ so I can play around.

2. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Nice. I've been thinking about something similar to cover the black spots in the house. Does it have good coverage? How much was it?

3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I bought them from www.citytechnology.com.au/store/ubiquiti#container but there are other suppliers in Australia. Coverage is good for two units, one up the front of the house, one at the back. I have had them for some time but only just installed them, so can't remember the price.
    Another of my mates used some other products to network 2 houses together over a kilometer away via directional wireless. Pretty cool stuff.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Good post - thanks for sharing. I'm having this first world problem at the moment too :)

Cheers

Jamie

5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Superb products, I had same issues with black spots, drop outs and a few of my wi-fi devises constantly got stuck looking for an IP even when they were all assigned as static, I was constantly having to re-start everything.

I bought two of the Unifi access points, they cover the whole house and half the street, they have zero hand over and I haven't had a single drop out or stuck IP request since I installed them about 6 months ago. Very happy indeed.

I kept my original modem and just plumbed one of the new Unifi points into the switch, once you set that first one up the second...(third & fourth) piggy back off the first seamlessly.

There's a video on the net somewhere on how to set them up properly if you have more than one, I
    'll see if I can find it again and post it up here for reference.

You can get them direct from Ubiquity, fast delivery too, both mine came next day.

http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/

EDITED TO ADD: Found the video -

Basically, (I think it also says in the manual to be honest), you wire both access points into your switch/hub first and set them up then you select the one you want to use as an extender, "disconnect" it in the software then assign it as an up-load link to the point that you leave wired into the switch.

I got the long range ones and bought one to try first, it almost covered the whole house. Our bedroom is the furthest point away from the modem and we barely got a signal there so I bought another to use as the extender. You may get away with just one depending on where you need to cover.

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2015
  6. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

IMG_1330.JPG Good gear , I often use it at work.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Raydar likes this.
  7. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I wish my office looked like that. Unfortunately there are 12 over weight blokes in my office. Not a pretty sight.