Technology & Social Media Windows 10 is....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Windows 10..........................no way.Wait till they start doing automatic updates,then wait for patch Tuesday,or the update to fix the update.I had a corrupted update which installed mysearch123 home page, and itgot so bad i just went back to factory settings.

2. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I am all ears here..............I had Avast downloaded to my PC on W8.1, and was told i already had defender as a operating anti virus, and Avast versus Defender on the same machine is asking for problems ???? Thoughts.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

IMO, asking for trouble. Avast should disable WD on installation. Sometimes windows will throw up errors. You can stop them.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=152645.0

https://blog.avast.com/2014/04/05/how-do-i-fix-a-microsoft-action-center-warning/

jim1964 likes this.
  4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I'm keen to upgrade my laptop from win 8 to win 10. I don't use the laptop because...(and I do not feel like I am overstating this at all)... the operating system is the worst thing to ever exist at any given time, in any given place in any given dimension.

It is the testicular cancer of software.

It is aids multiplied by cot death squared.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Hate to say it,i now run on a ipad with mac,and it poooooos all over windows.

6. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

I run Windows 7 and while it gets annoying occasionally, it's alright. I do wish Microsoft would redesign Windows Explorer, though. I mean, it hasn't changed since 95! I don't understand why they don't just steal all the good bits from Dolphin, like they do with everything else, re: Linux.

I also run a Linux OS, which is miles ahead of Windows. Ever since I started using Linux about 8 years ago, it has been fan-tiddly-astic.

Basically, if you want to know what Windows is going to look like in 5 years time, use Linux. It's way better than both Microsoft and Apple (and far far cheaper than Apple - and the hardware is upgradeable, too!)

Touristy likes this.
  7. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

As above. All I'll say is Linux. Never touching anything else again. Try it. The way computing should be. Amazing!

Mombius Hibachi likes this.
  8. Mombius Hibachi

Hi Touristy, which OS do you use? I'm on Mint at the moment, but considering going back to Mageia.

Touristy likes this.
  9. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Mint and Ubuntu. Couple of others at other times. No expert though. Just ***** and giggles.

10. Mombius Hibachi

Same same.

11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I spent a year (2014) on UbuntuGnome, if all I was doing was software development, I would have been perfectly content with the OS.

However, there are far too many other things that I do and applications that I rely on where there is simply to comparison to the Windows versions that I use (and had been using inside a VMware install of Windows 8.1 on my Linux machine).

Unfortunately, while my software development tools on Linux were rock solid - indeed, some of the best Linux apps I've ever used, VMware on Linux was an unstable piece of rubbish which broke every time a system update came through.

After trying for a full year, when I wiped my machine and moved to a native Windows 8.1 install my productivity increased dramatically - I stopped wasting time trying to get my OS to cooperate and just got my work done instead.

I've never been a fan of Microsoft and would rather not have to use their software if I could avoid it - but Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 just work (provided you don't do anything stupid - but then, no OS is idiot-proof).

12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I used to always buy Windows laptop.

However, I hated Windows 8 so much that when I decided to buy my new laptop, I finally moved to Macbook Pro Retina for a change. I am so happy with the swap. Now I am converted to Apple Mac system and it is all because of Microsoft fault.

Of course, I have Windows 8.1 running on VMWare on my MBPr as I still need to run some MS Office applications as their Office for Mac is not the best port ever. But having said that I hardly used it anyway.

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I switched to Linux Ubuntu last year from Windows. It works great, starts up in a minute as opposed to 10+ minutes with Windows. Couple of things never worked though (my scanner for example, and some Java apps).

Touristy likes this.
  14. Mombius Hibachi

Fixed.

15. Mombius Hibachi

Oh man, that annoys me like crazy! It literally takes between 5 - 10 minutes for my machine to boot to the point where it is usable. First world problems, right? Bugger that, taking that long to load up is ridiculous.

Touristy likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

1. get enough RAM (8GB preferably, if you have a 64bit OS)
    2. get an SSD

... problem solvered.

My 4yo laptop takes over 3 minutes to boot with the very slow drive it comes with, but replace it with an SSD and it takes 25 seconds to boot.

17. Simon Hampel

I stopped using Microsoft Office over 5 years ago - haven't even had it installed on my machine at any time since then. I run my entire business using Google Apps.

18. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

Ubuntu and ssd. Bang baby. :eek:

19. Mombius Hibachi

I have 8 gig of RAM and a regular drive. My linux distro's take between 1 - 3 minutes to boot up. Microsoft can bite me.

Touristy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I run Win7 as my main computer bacause I have a lot of windows games and can't be arsed trying to get them running under windows. I won't be upgrading to win 10 any time soon.

I also have a heap of VMs for different things. I have 2 ubuntu builds, one for playing with and one for software development. Once I open them up full screen, performance is like I am running them native. Ubuntu's a great OS, IMO.

Touristy likes this.