Will you give commercial tenants a rent holiday?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by danvestor, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

Gave a 33% discount on regional retail, for April. But asking for transparency on their trading figures for future discounts...

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Gone half rent for a few. Deferred rent for a few. Another I'm about to lock him since he's gone AWOL.

3. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

Today's AFR : Landlords fried as food chains cut rent

" .... advised a Melbourne landlord it would pay 50 per cent of the rent and outgoings for the month of April within three days of receiving signed consent."

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

For businesses hard hit surely commercial landlords would come to the table. Yeh if you go the bank and ask for a holiday your repayments and interest would be capitalised and that would hurt. But wouldn't that be better than the alternative of having a vacant property during a recession?

5. Omnidragon

So someone was telling me in his contract there’s a specific insurance that the tenant bought in favour of the landlord which covers this situation. So he’s going all guns blazing with lawyers when the tenant (a huge group in itself) is trying not to pay now

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A guarantee perhaps. It's the alternative to a bond. Bank is obliged to release it on request. But then the tenant may refuse to pay

7. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

It’s been almost 3 months since the lockdown begin.
    I am wondering if people have resolved the rent issue on the commercial leasing.

My commercial tenant has not paid anything (rent and outgoing) since March.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have they been trading, trading in a reduced capacity or closed?

9. Iamnumber5

They stopped trading in late March and started opening again last week.

I have offered 50% rent discount for April and May, and gradual increase rent in proportion to the number of customers allowed in the premise.
    Tenant seems to want more.

is this common in the hospitality sector?

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Our QLD medical centre tenant who a few months ago requested 6 month at 50% reduced rent are still paying full rent.
    It has not progressed any further, they have not followed up.
    It seems like they were just having a go by sending out the request to all their leased sites, as the letter was from the head leasing department.

11. Ampers

Ampers Active Member

How are things looking now a month or two on for all things commercial in your area?

12. Omnidragon

I've had around 4 commercial tenants (retail) that have just disappeared and not paid a cent. That's probably a rental holiday. Had another 3 who are showing me their financials where their revenue has fallen around 70-80%, so they're paying 20-30% rent, although one of them was just on the verge of recovering and now the Vic Premier has mucked it up again by not strictly enforcing lockdowns the first time in quarantine hotels. I still remember people lecturing me about human rights a few months ago and how 'humane' the lax rules here are where people (turns out some are infected) can roam around freely. Nice.

13. Omnidragon

You're lucky you're getting 50%. If I was you I'd take it and keep quiet. See post above.

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  14. Iamnumber5

I have offered them 50% discount for 6 months, yet I haven’t received a single cents.
    It’s so frustrating when landlord can’t do anything until September.

15. Omnidragon

Oh nothing we can do except get run over. I feel sorry for the landlords who don't have like 1 year+ of buffer. ScoMo has basically thrown them under a bus since they're a minority of like 2% (commercial landlords)?

CK_Invest likes this.
  16. Pawer

Pawer Member

Its not until september, with Jobkeeper 2.0 are extended thru march 2021.. landlord cant do anything. As long as tenant can proof 30% down and eligilbe for JK 2.0.

The commercial code remain valid as long as Jobkeeper are running.

COMMENCEMENT/EXPIRY
    This Code comes into effect in all states and territories from a date following 3 April 2020 (being the date that National Cabinet agreed to a set of principles to guide the Code to govern commercial tenancies as affected by the COVID- 19 pandemic) to be defined by each jurisdiction, for the period during which the Commonwealth JobKeeper program remains operational.

17. Omnidragon

To be honest, I'm thinking of getting permits on my sites to build up, given these guys are not paying rent anyway.