Will Brisbane + Gold Coast (QLD) surpass Melbourne (VIC)?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Arecaceae, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

Do any of you think Brisbane + Gold Coast be on pace with or even overtake Melbourne, and Queensland be on par with or even overtake Victoria in the future, thanks to a large number of people relocating from NSW and VIC to QLD, and the forthcoming 2032 Queensland Olympic Games?

2. Hari Yellina

Hari Yellina Well-Known Member

Perth will overtake Brisbane.

Brisbane will be our 4th largest city.

3. couq

couq Well-Known Member

With the Olympics coming no chance of Perth surpassing Brisbane. Perth unfortunately still has less diversity in sectors and has remoteness issues from Sydney and Melbourne.

I think on average Melbourne will always be Australia's second biggest market but the gap is closing but won't completely close. Once borders open immigration will still be Melbourne/Sydney heavy

craigc and Hamish84 like this.
  4. Hari Yellina

Which city went up in Value & Population boom after Sydney Olympics
    Which city went up in Value & Population boom after Commgames in Melbourne
    Which city went up in Value & Population boom after Commgames in Gold Coast.

It was always Melbourne.

Why do you think Brisbane will go up in value and population growth.

5. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

If you look at historical charts of Australian capital cities, they've all been going up in both population and value.

Anyway to the thread topic, Brisbane has far more going for it than Melbourne, but it's a very sizable gap. The SEQ metropolis will grow at a faster rate due to both higher birth rates and internal migration, but with federal and state governments likely turning up immigration, Melbourne will continue to receive the largest proportion of the country's international migrants and sustain its growth that way.

Codie and Hamish84 like this.
  6. Hari Yellina

Did we have a report on how many ex-pats returned to Melbourne and Sydney?

Was it around 500,000?

Yes, Brisbane might have 40,000 internal migration. The majority would be non-working age group.

Most of the Demographers might be looking at Internal Migration alone. and not really talking about the ex-pats coming back and buying better homes.

Let's $2 million migrants are coming to the country in the next 5 years. Where would the majority end up with?

Some of them will be forced to work in regional places like Brisbane or smaller cities. Will they move to a better city once they become permanent residents?

What is the % growth rate of Brisbane property from 2010, with inflation taken into account? isn't it Just about 0%?

7. mytwocents

mytwocents Well-Known Member

I think people in Brisbane need to chill with over inflating their house prices.
    Those who beat the border closures will return home in the coming months when jobs dictate our landscape.

The olympics are not going to change a thing. It’s a four week sport convention.

Universities will thrive in Melbourne again and immigration flourish.

Sydney will go back to selling parking lots for the price of a 4 bedder in Logan.

8. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

I admire your optimism but that will simply never happen. The gap will widen, if anything.

MJS1034, Soy and LP7 like this.
  9. Hamish84

I think it might be those pesky southerners over inflating the Brisbane house prices :D

Sezy22, Codie and wylie like this.
  10. Hari Yellina

11. Hari Yellina

Brisbane didn't grow for over a decade. Now bricks are costing more than houses. :p

So, it's catching up to the Bricks and minimum wages growth.

12. Hamish84

13. Hari Yellina

Even Brazil increased its population, doesn't mean its prices went up in the last 10 years. Population growth itself is not a good outcome.

It's the population with good income growth. Which makes a good city.

14. Hari Yellina

Would you name top ASX 200 companies headquarters in Brisbane?

Virgin is broke after taking some cash to open an office in Brisbane.

Do you where the top 20 Australian tech companies have their headquarters and workers living and working.

Just take the name of one single suburb names Surrey Hills in Sydney.

I am not putting down the regional city of Brisbane, I cannot see fundamentals there.

When no company wants to open headquarters (not a small customer service centre).

That means business new businesses is not showing any interest in that city.

Soy likes this.
  15. Hamish84

*Capital city of Brisbane

wylie and Soy like this.
  16. Hari Yellina

They do call that in websites.

For immigration purposes and overseas jargon, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane, Gold Coast etc... are still classified as regional.

You get a lot of points if you live there for a while.

17. Hamish84

Brisbane is not classified as regional for these purposes. The others, yes.

wylie likes this.
  18. couq

couq Well-Known Member

I might have a liking to Brisbane regional whilst calling Perth the 3rd biggest city in Australia will not happen.
    Perth relies mainly on mining and is very much connected to Iron Ore and other commodities which is doing well.
    Brisbane pop 2.5 mil Perth 2 mil. Add to that 600k in gold coast and 400k sunshine coast puts it close to 3.5 mil.
    Even with Australia's biggest boom since 89 Perth is still lagging in growth. All up the eastern coast Sydney Melbourne Brisbane are much more connected. Perth will do well in this cycle and may catch up but to say it will be bigger than Brisbane doesn't fly.

The Artisan, Soy and Hamish84 like this.
  19. james0286

james0286 Member

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I spent my early childhood in Perth, 1995 - 2013 in Melbourne and now live in Brisbane.

I’d estimate that the price gap between Melbourne/Syd v rest of Aus will narrow as Bris/Canberra/Perth/Adelaide play catch up and unaffordability in Melbourne/Syd drives people out to regionals and interstate.

How narrow that gap will be, and by when, who knows?

boganfromlogan likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I hope Brisbane never gets a big or busy as Sydney or Melbourne. Much as we enjoy visiting those cities, there is no attraction for us to move and live there. I'm sure the same goes in reverse. You generally love where you live... or you move.

Each city has its own character, and people born somewhere who want a job that is only available somewhere else will move. Always was. Always will be.

Until fairly recently, most people would not buy in another city. The internet has changed that, and it is not unusual to hear others on the forum holding property in various capital cities, but I would think this is far from the norm.

I'd think most people who buy an IP (or two or three) are holding them locally and probably don't care too much what is happening in another city.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2021
    Sezy22, frankjeager and Gen-Y like this.