SA Whyalla

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Riley Adderley, 20th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Riley Adderley

Riley Adderley New Member

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nope, not me.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I almost bought there few years ago. Very close. Was a speculative play. Heavens were good to me and I decided against.

kierank likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I recall back in the Somersoft days, people were picking up houses in Whyalla for < $20K, and some of them actually made good money - but I didn't think there was much growth left in the town more recently.

That may change now with all the new investment - I haven't kept track of prices or yields, so I don't know how the numbers work these days.

Just remember that Whyalla was once a town with 33,000 population at its peak when there was both the steelworks and shipyards in the town. Once the shipyards closed in 1978, the population dropped rapidly. I'm not sure what impact this would have on housing stock 40 years later - the population was just under 22,000 as of the 2016 census, so presumably up to 30% of the old housing stock has been vacant for a long time. I'm not sure what redevelopment has occurred or whether that old stock is suitable for habitation - some research would be required to verify the supply side of the equation.

Like other one-industry towns, it is also very susceptible to external changes in global demand - if commodity prices change significantly or demand for those commodities drops sharply, that could have a dramatic impact on the population and property prices. A global recession might also have an impact if global manufacturing and demand for steel drops.

5. kierank

I used to go to Whyalla a lot during the 1980’s. I was the Project Leader implementing a maintenance management system for BHP Steel.

Back then, only two things impressed me about Whyalla:
    1. It had a population of around 30,000 people and 7,000 of them worked for BHP (from memory).
    2. The Works Manager knew all of them by their first name.
    For me, I put small, one-industry towns like Whyalla in the same category as mining towns.

Way too risky for my hard-earned cash.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wow you really get around..

I agree, I view it in terms of risk similar to a mining town. If you wanna buy there then it's purely a speculative play with moderately high risk.

kierank likes this.
  7. kierank

“I go everywhere, man”.

In those days, I project lead three major implementation with that system, all at the same time:

1. New Parliament House
    2. Snowy Mountains Authority
    3. BHP Steel at Whyalla

Every second week, I used to fly Brisbane to Canberra (on a Sunday afternoon) to see 1, then drive to Cooma to see 2, drive back to Canberra, fly to Whyalla (via Adelaide) to see 3 and fly back to Brisbane (via Adelaide) on the Friday night.

To say I was knackered would be an understatement :D.

The wife loved it as she didn’t have to put up with me. But I did miss out on a lot of our two kids growing up :eek:.

Hayes, Archaon, marty998 and 3 others like this.
  8. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

vacancies have decreased signigicantly in the last year, 400 dwellings down to circa 70

regarding the population decrease and housing stock availability - i think you will find that the average number of people crammed under one roof was much higher in the 60s /70s than it would be today as it wouldnt be uncommon to be one of 5 plus siblings

Cousinit and Riley Adderley like this.
  9. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

jumped on the train a long time.ago

its been more of a roller coaster , for a while there we almost got derailed...

anyway im pretty confident that sanjeev will continue the good work and if his plant expansion dreams come to.fruition then any parcel of land in a decent location should be worth significantly more than it is today

The Grinch and Riley Adderley like this.
  10. Riley Adderley

Riley Adderley New Member

Interesting perspectives, thanks guys for taking your time out to reply... I am only 18 don't plan on investing for a while but it is great learning and appreciate being able to ask questions and find out information related to me on here:)

Angel likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I looked around 10 years ago - when we lived there for hubby's work. Didn't stack up then - and can't see it stacking up now.

There was a lot of new development but I found nothing very appealing about the town including the beach fronted by the nursing home and not a wave to be found. Not helped by an unhelpful council, a goodly percentage of the locals heading out every weekend - and the pro's being flown in on payday ...

kierank likes this.
  12. kierank

What day is payday? :eek:

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Every second Thursday - apparently :D

But I agree with previous comments. It is very much a one industry town with increasing automation and nothing much else to recommend it

kierank likes this.
  14. kierank

By the sounds of this, it might be a “two industry” town :p.

I know which one would be more profitable.

craigc, Hayes, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  15. crowboy

crowboy New Member

Playford or just Whyalla?

16. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Steel mill appears to be staying open. Sanjeev has not done anything so far to suggest otherwise. Whyalla looks promising for the future!

17. 38974

38974 New Member

Hey Guys! a new bie here..
    wamnted your thought on why people aremnt buying properties at Whyalla ?
    can anybody explain? Or i am getting this thread wrong :(

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's a one industry town - with an industry that has a dubious future

Last edited by a moderator: 11th May, 2023
    38974 likes this.
  19. 38974

38974 New Member

Thanks Lizzie.

But if you see the rental market, the ROI is 6-7% return with a vaccancy rate of 0.2%.
    is the situation bettre now?

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No idea - haven't lived there in 12 years - but, as an investor, I'm very dubious of one industry towns. Have often seen people invest and take great returns for a short while - but when the industry leaves town then they are left with a stranded asset they can't give away.

It's up to you as to whether you're prepared to take the risk

Last edited by a moderator: 11th May, 2023