Why Portfolio Diversification is Important to a Growing a Portfolio....

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 15th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

45 properties in 2009, in great locations, and created an additional job for QLD...you must be a proud Aussie. Thumbs up

Somersoft Property Investment Forums - View Single Post - Where are your properties?

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
    Xenia, MTR and ellejay like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hi Richard...I thought you sold a couple of your blocks...to develop somewhere in Brissie?

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

worked well for you:)

Xenia and ellejay like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so does North and East, in other words as rare as hens teeth

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Most PAYG folks don't have the number of properties to make it worthwhile to do this.

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi Sash

You portfolio is not just diversification across states though is it, is there diversification of yield etc also?

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

If you mean quality of property yes....because there is a direct correlation. Though there were properties in Sydney bought for a song have something like 15-20 plus yields on them based on the orginal price. For example a 1 brm unit bought in Dulwich bought for 95k now rents for 365pw. That represents almost a 20% yield. Some bought more recently only have 5.5% yield based on the original price. Having said that my yields have gone down as the property prices have risen dramatically. It is now more like 4.5% average based on the current portfolio value. Rents are a great .starting to tip over 450k pa.

The house I bought in Melton for 150k in 2007 odd now rents 250pw. Not a great yield but still positive. That is 8.6% yield.

Yet the one in Shellharbour bought 242k in 2012...now rents for 380pw. That is 8.2%

The better one is obviously Shellharbour.

Redwing likes this.
  8. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

@sash you will like this - Shellharbour is No.4
    upload_2016-1-14_17-21-49.png

C-mac and Sackie like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

To me (and similar to what others have said), portfolio diversification just makes sense for basically 3 major (lots of minor) reasons.

1. Investing your entire portfolio in one state will almost guarantee that your portfolio will not be growing (or growing minimally) at some point for quite a number of years. This will have a direct impact on growing your wealth and therefore affect your goal timelines.
    2. You will miss out on other state cycles and therefore miss out on great opportunities acorss Australia when that state and their respective suburbs are at the ripe part of the 'investment clock'.
    3. Long term risk mitigation. Any economic factors that are unique to a particular state will again affect your entire portfolio, and not just a portion of it.

Just my 1.5 cents.

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2016
    Tranquilo, HUGH72 and pommy like this.
  10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts as well, it's not a popularity contest. I don't care which capital city/ large metro area I buy in if the numbers make sense and I'm not too late to obtain reasonable value in a market.
    Ready made deposits for the next purchase are always available as something somewhere is always growing.
    Under performance by one city over a number of years slows down the process of growing your capital base.
    Thankfully all capital cities markets are generally at different stages of their cycle.

D.T. and Sackie like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1

12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...saw that I don't how long it can go...it is crazy how the hell does a house I bought for 241k...rise to 500k plus in about 4 years. Insane! The only explanation is people from Sydney are buying there. At some point this market will also settle.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.