Why is insurance so bloody expensive? This could be why!

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by spludgey, 5th Feb, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've have one of my PMs contact me saying that there's a roofing company offering free assessments.
    I figured it would be a sales pitch, but I like free, so I told them to go ahead for my two properties.

Here are excerpts from one of the reports (the two reports are very similar):

upload_2024-2-5_15-29-4.png
    This is the worst of the damage. As you can see, small dents, but not much else.

So here is what they propose as a solution:

upload_2024-2-5_15-30-11.png

Even if the insurance company will pay for this (and I don't know whether they will), I feel it's unconscionable to lodge a claim for $50k++ to fix a few small dents.

Not only that, but in the paperwork, they even say they'll cover your excess. Surely this would be against the insurance companies' terms?

upload_2024-2-5_15-35-15.png

It's rubbish claims like this why all of our insurance policies are going up.

wylie and CandyCandyCandy like this.
  2. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

as far as you know. The inspector could got his plastic hammer and put a few dent on your roof while he was up there checking it out.
    It isn't as if you the owner is there watching them.

Since they have seen enough hail damage roof. They could easily made a plastic mould of an indentation and created the perfect "Hail like soft hammer"

Just throwing it out there - Mr. Dodgy brothers.

Marg4000, Sgav and spludgey like this.
  3. strannik

strannik Well-Known Member

is that by any chance one of those companies that "help" people lodge claims and inflate the claim value with bogus bills to profit off them? like that case on the news recently, about a lady calling a company that pretends to work on behalf of Budget Direct, that ended up charging a large sum of money ($5-6000) for towing a car with a scratch on a door that didn't need to be towed, and holding it hostage until the bill is paid?

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Sounds like it!
    upload_2024-2-5_16-16-36.png

Nobody likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I wonder how many get sucked into this. Insurance company reply. TO YOU, not them =

Your claim submitted by your agent (XXX Claims Pty Ltd) is denied. We have not replied to them as you are the insured. Our opinion on your agent is explained below. The damage indicates wear and tear including but not limited to apparent malicious damage or hail or debris impacts that have dented the sheet panels. You cannot advise us when and how this occurred and there is no defined event we / you have identified and can substantiate. The roofing is serviceable. There is apparent impact damage but we consider that is fair wear and tear in absence of a defined storm event you can substantiate. The damage may also have been evident prior to cover being issued and we and you cannot determine that. Wear and tear is a excluded element of your policy and is not damage that has rendered the roofing unusable.
    We also elect to disallow the claim based on the policy wording for "agents" and the claimant agent is conflicted in their services to you. We consider they may have mis-stated the damage and claim due to this conflicted position. Have a nice day.

This is reproduced here :
    Appointing others to manage your claim If you want to appoint someone to manage your claim, then you need to tell us and we need to agree that we will deal with them on your behalf. You can usually appoint someone like a family member. We will not unreasonably withhold our consent to an appointment. However, we may have a concern with a party that may present a conflict of interest. For example, someone who supplies goods or services for your claim. [Example NRMA]

This happens after storm damage. Companies claim to help and assist claims and quote. Insurers are careful with such claims and may refuse the claim or suspend it pending careful damage assessing. And refuse any costs for making a quote / claim. Insurers dont want to be scam targets

XXX Pty Ltd send you a bill for $1000 being for inspection, reporting and claim. You didnt have a excess as the agent cost is also refused. Too bad. Please pay the maximum sum for our costs being $1000. You engaged us. Signed Lionel Hutz.

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2024
    Marg4000, Nobody, Sgav and 4 others like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There was a roofing company recently in a few inner city suburbs in Brisbane-that had drones taking photos of everyone's roof in the street.
    Then they sent out a letter similar to the quote you have detailed for any roof that had visible damage.
    The problem is most houses in cyclone alley will have some level of damage..
    The letter stated that would complete the total refit then bill the insurance company.
    I just threw the letter in the bin as I think as the company was based at the Gold Coast it was a con job.

Marg4000 and CandyCandyCandy like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it a case of carefully placed footsteps can cause a dent in the roof sheet and blame carelessness on hail damage?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are gullible people and enterprising scammers eager all eager to pair up. I used to query why so many people get scammed and came to the realisation its their intelligence level. They seem to trust any story that sounds good. Others see the scam and foresee issues and what can go wrong.

Marg4000 likes this.