VIC Why is East/ South East Melbourne more expensive than West/ South West?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 14th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I'm comparing East down to Frankston/ Cranbourne to West down to Geelong, in general east is more developed, sought after and more expensive, just wondering why this is?

2. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Employment.

3. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Historically inner Eastern suburbs were the more desirable ones while the inner western suburbs were mostly working class. While the inner western suburbs have gentrified over time and are now very expensive, the eastern suburbs ended up with disproportionate share of good schools (public and private) as well as public transport (trains and trams). This I believe has attracted disproportionate share of Asian migrants to the east and exacerbated the ripple effect. Then you add limited supply of land in the East (Yarra valley, Dandenong ranges etc.) with unlimited flat land in the west.

4. laura27

laura27 Member

The west is a bit feral

Ariyahn2011, P1ngu, Nando Lee and 3 others like this.
  5. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

Big generalisation but Melbourne South East has the more affluent suburbs (Toorak, Hawthorn etc.) including beach side suburbs (St Kilda, Brighton and beyond). They have the better schools, and just attract wealthier people.

This is a total guess from me, but I have always suspected the regional south eastern beachside suburbs (Rosebud, Portsea, Sorrento etc.) are more expensive given they are closer to the wealthier eastern suburbs.

The western regional beachside suburbs (Torquay, Ocean Grove etc.) have historically seemed to be cheaper, but tbh, I really see minimal difference between them otherwise.

6. mytwocents

mytwocents Well-Known Member

Because the east is more affluent and that will never change. The infrastructure is in place. It's an unfortunate dichotomy of misconceptions that always favoured the east.

There will be some changes as people see past that and we will live in a global village where an abundance of tasks and jobs will be accessible from our living room.

Saying that, people are sheep and if Kim Kardashian moved to Melton, it would trigger a sales surge.

Nando Lee and Ringo1 like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I guess for me growing up in the SE, we always saw the wild west as the "dirty industrial badlands", and the east as the beautiful green hills and lush forests.... probably has to do with how the harbour is - and obviously having the refineries etc in a place where tankers could get to.
    (Ironically, Hastings has never really bothered anyone!). Then there is a gas fired power station in the midst of it all..... The image in our minds were fortified when Coode Island blew up in 1991, cementing in the minds of the easterners that the west was a dangerous place to live....

The Y-man

alicudi and gman65 like this.
  8. Bara Mundi

Bara Mundi Member

Early colonial settlers chose the east due to its land quality (easier to farm and build infrastructures on). The head start compounds into better infrastructure, schools, employments, tree line streets, period houses, historic parks, etc. which are all components of higher property price.

Nando Lee, Mulianto and strongy1986 like this.
  9. The Y-man

I wonder if that's related to the fact the first treaty was signed by Batman with the Wurundjeri people which is in the Eastern half of Kulim so they has easier access?

The Y-man

10. Calder&Scale

Calder&Scale Well-Known Member

Development, quality schools and job opportunities.

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Because the East reminded me of Sydney :p
    According to my friend, if you live in the West, you will be driving to and from work in the city with glare from the sun and that is not favorable

Hamish Blair likes this.
  12. Alex123711

What about the fast train/ upgrade to Geelong, will that change anything?

13. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Geelong. What dis?

14. paulose

paulose Member

I am moving to East - Glen Waverly for good secondary school. Bought a house in Endeavour Hills recently. Am renting that house for now and will be renting in Glen Waverly (as decent houses were too expensive there in school zone). I have always rented in Essendon Area since I came to Melbourne in 2012. But none of the public schools are in top 10 in North/West Melbourne. This may be one of the anecdotal reasons, why East/South East is expensive. i have 2 small IP in Werribee though.

jbv likes this.
  15. The Y-man

Understatement of the century :D:D:D:D

The Y-man

craigc likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Peasants

Keep them in their box…. Lol joking

Btw, I dont give a rats….. but can someone tell me is Yarraville going to cut it, only interested in growth….. east, west, south north. Whatever

Bunbury likes this.
  17. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Why do you talk so much sense?
    The west is pretty average land compared to the east and somehow people on this forum struggle to see that.

18. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

And your problem is…

19. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

I'm in the inner north but people would be foolish to write off the west and I'd say the capacity for growth in premium suburbs in the west is as good or better than anywhere else in Melbourne. I'm talking suburbs ridiculously well placed and inner-suburban like Seddon, Kingsville, Yarraville, Maribyrnong, Essendon, and even Strathmore. Lesser suburbs like Sunshine have been absolute investment goldmines for the right type of properties for savvy investors. Just as I very much doubt Melbourne will ever match the prestige of Sydney, the west will never match the prestige of the inner east and south east. But nonetheless there is gold in them flats.

Whitecat, PeterCr, Cousinit and 3 others like this.
  20. Alex123711

I don't really understand this? unless you're talking about farming?

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.