Why Hasn't Brisbane BOOMED

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hope it continues.....but you would need significantly more growth to access equity @ 80%, especially as coming in from a lower base right?

MB would have a pretty good idea on suburbs that are booming, as I am sure they would have clients accessing equity if this were the case.

Though, I guess Its the elephant in the room

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes about 50-60k per property.

Brisbane is now a no brainer........it is definitely moving in the inner parts...an now moving to areas like Moreton Bay......

Jack Chen likes this.
  3. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

I'm also now looking into Brisbane at the moment as seems like a good news story to come. From a long term capital growth perspective I'd be very interested in your thoughts on comparisons between North (e.g. Kedron, Gordon Park) North West (Alderley, Mitchelton) and South (Annerley, Holland Park)?

I have a long term view (20+ yrs) and looking to add value through renovation in the short-med term. Seems these areas have already seen some growth - room to go yet? I think OO appeal is where it's at, with young professional families, particularly with APRA changes changing feasibility for many investors...

djyella and Lions4Eva like this.
  4. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Had a valuation done on my house in Manly West last week. In 3 years we've had 120k of growth (approx. 29%). The talk getting around at the time or purchase was predicting 8-9% p.a. for the next 5 years... so far so good. Just wish the rent would follow suit.

luckyone, MTR and JK200SX like this.
  5. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

If your looking for 20+ years there is PLENTY of room to grow. Big big things can happen in this time frame.

Lions4Eva likes this.
  6. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Very Good!

I've a place in Wynnum, where I extracted 120K equity in a similar timeframe approx 1.5 yrs ago.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

6% CAGR over last couple of years on the redcliffe peninsular.

8. Taibooz

Taibooz New Member

Are you interested to buy an IP in Mitchelton ?

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

See my other post very recently on another thread Perth vs Brisbane on this.
    This should tell you where to put your money for ling term growth.

10. Daisycutter4

Daisycutter4 Well-Known Member

Sorry Cliff - don't have a transcript. Just pulled the audio from the ABC

11. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Good things takes time, please remember that Sydney was doing terrible while the other states powers on. We had to wait for 6 long years before any significant price movement in our investments.

When all things considered, wage and unemployment rate isn't all that different between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and all the other capital cities for that matters. The living standards between cities are fairly similar unlike the US or other countries. Earlier posts said the history won't repeat it self, but my huge bet is it that it will, it's just a matter of time.

My 2 cents is that affordability will be the main driver for price growth for Brisbane in the next 5 years while it will be the gravity that will pull Sydney the Melborne back on the ground for a little while.

kierank and RetireRich101 like this.
  12. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Affordability is going to be a big factor in people moving/buying in Brisbane and the way it is now there are some real bargains to be had.

Jose Eduardo Slompo likes this.
  13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

For history to not repeat itself... There would have to be big syltructural changes in the market. Sydney and Melbourne do not have those. They are essentially similar to what they were last boom...just that there is more BRICS money this time powering their markets .
    Brisbane in the other hand is having structural changes and like all worthwhile large scale changes, is a bit difficult and patience is required. Lots of things happening in Brisbane are first time, so obviously there are learnings to be had, trial and error etc..not just with infrastructure. But also companies and even the state government are trying newer and innovative projects...the results will pay off...just not immediately.

Jose Eduardo Slompo and kierank like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Off to another auction tomorrow.

Not buying but we have an IP a few doors up, in the same street.

Will give me an indication of where I think the market is at.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  15. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I am in close contact with a few (reliable) agents and people on the ground there. Certain markets/stock is hotter than an egg can cook on the pavement of Vegas.

Last edited: 1st Nov, 2017
    Pumpkin likes this.
  19. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It's certainly a two-speed economy here.... Houses around our street often sells in two weeks, including rentals....

Sackie likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Spot on mate.

What I'm hearing (and seeing via sales evidence) is that homes in certain areas with certain land sizes/aspects (eg views) and or homes with development/reno ability in inner/middle rings are commanding very strong prices. Its completely and totally markets within markets. Also Hampton style new modern builds is becoming very big there.

Pumpkin likes this.