Why Hasn't Brisbane BOOMED

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I would hold for as long as cashflow allows, 5-6km from CBD. It will continue to increase in value by far more than the land tax bill.

wylie and Whitecat like this.
  2. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

House and land. I did landscaping myself to save a few bucks. We saved a bit with first home buyers grant and $30k in rebates

tomlemke, MTR and RetireRich101 like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice:)

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK Guys back to this thread, for those investing in this market any changes, are there markets starting to hot up in Brissy????????

MTR:)

wombat777 likes this.
  5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Brisbane need to try and emulate the success of Sydney. Macquarie Park and Norwest Business Park are good examples. Norwest Business Park was bagged when it was first created but it is doing well now. Thankfully transport links are being completed which is accelerating economic and residential growth.

That means establishing employment zones and opportunities very close to where people want to live. Good transport infrastructure is also needed. This will also require government initiates to attract employers.

To a significant extent political pork barrelling is required. Adelaide is a good example of this due to the large Defence Industry now located there.

The three Sydney districts generating a quarter of Australia's economic growth

Last edited: 2nd Mar, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  6. big max

big max Well-Known Member

7. Yllenk

Yllenk Member

Flight Centre, Dominoes, Tatts Group, Suncorp, Star Entertainment... just a few more off the top of my head. Brisbane is full of big business. Only a matter of time until more companies relocate their head offices to Brisbane and cash in on the lower overheads (commercial rent and wages) and a truly international city (Brisbane has just as many direct international flight paths as Melbourne).

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Possibly, but hasn't that always been the case- that Brissy is cheaper than Mel/Syd?

9. Yllenk

Yllenk Member

Yep and that's why more and more global companies are progressively opening offices in Brisbane, as opposed to just Sydney and Melbourne. The market can sense this shift and that is why we are seeing international professional services firms opening offices here to service these clients (for example, Clyde & Co, White & Case, Jones Day, etc).

10. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

just had a quick look, Clyde & Co. has offices in Sydney and Melbs CBD too, which means business must be booming there too. I'd be more convinced if they shut the offices in Syd/Melbs and moved to Brisbane only.

IMHO its just a natural expansion of business from Syd/Melbs to Brisbane. Nothing to be too excited about. After all the stock exchange and all the big money is still in Sydney.

11. Yllenk

Yllenk Member

Well that's my point exactly - businesses are expanding from Syd/Melb to Brisbane, bringing jobs to Brisbane. Not suggesting that Brisbane will necessarily take jobs away from Syd/Melb

12. Wagyu brisket

Wagyu brisket Member

Last months negative growth has been swept under the carpet just like that qtr last year..

Inner north/south will be strong and gradual but the 12km+ surrounds imho is investor/speculator driven.

Im still shocked at the number of threads of people across the border who are following the herd/FOMO based solely on "cheap" price in relation to syd/melb. Grey ghost made a great similar post.

Reccomending kallangur/keppera and surrounds when they've already had their 'best' growth spurt is spruikism at its finest.

Well done to the smart ones who got in 3+ years ago.. Better deals elsewhere unless you have "inside" contacts or happy with CPI growth.

My 2c

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Smarter ones still had their money in Sydney and Melbourne.

ashish1137, Barny, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  14. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Another , we locals know better than all you outsider posts

Everywhere we've bought , I've seen them and yours will be wrong as have all of the others.

In the last three years we've had much better growth in our Sydney properties than any one has had in Brisbane . Sold most in Sydney recently .

So now we're bought in Brisbane , mainly in unfashionable places that brisbanites dismiss . We did very nicely in the last cycle in unfashionable places and we're already up 15-20 % and close to cash flow neutral which you generally won't get in " nice " areas .

Spot on Gockie .

Cliff

James G, Angel and Perthguy like this.
  15. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I recommend keperra as other members recommended it a couple of years ago when I purchased and I've done well. I did my DD, found it was undervalued when compared to other suburbs of similar distance from the CBD with a train line and good amenities and thus purchased. It's done just under 8% in the past year (2.5% last quarter) and doesn't seem to be slowing down. Days on market is currently 22 days. Can you please provide the link that says it's had its 'best' growth spurt. Once you've done that I'll stop mentioning it I promise.

Please clear this up for me. Keperra is 10kms from the CBD but you just said it was being spruiked. I'm confused.

orangestreet likes this.
  16. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

To the OP.... because it's too BLOODY HOT up there :D:D:D

Pier1 likes this.
  17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

U
    It's factored into the price..this is why Brisbane is much cheaper.
    However, it's changing (at a reasonable rate although not very fast) especially with respect to businesses as above..and that too is one reason why Brisbane prices have increased (but not fast either)..

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Brissy in Winter and Tassie in Summer? :)

Pier1 likes this.
  19. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Ah yes now you're talking @Perthguy though Sydney and Perth definitely have the better temperate climates, if you ask me. Have lived in Brissy for several years and enjoy it for holidays (and visiting IPs) but otherwise the heat is just too much for me now I'm afraid....

20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Correct. obviously Syd/Mel will fight tooth and nail to keep their business. Unlikely Brisbane will take anything of significance from south.. But yes, will likely be attractive for new business or expansionary plans.
    If Brisbane does take business away from Sydney/Mel (unlikely), if it's of any signicance, it has the real potential to put brakes on price growth down south. The main thing keeping the southern caps afloat and doing well despite its valuation is jobs... Without that, people will look to drop it fast....