Why don't normal people think like us?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Tim86, 18th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI Sanj,

I agree mate booms can make investment geniuses out of some, its normal. But there are many others who planned it well that when a boom comes, their stock will have a better chance to outshine others with higher growth. This does happen too.

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

And financial security is of course very important but there are many ways to achieve this, resi property isn't the only one.

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed, I'm not disputing this in any way.

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I think this is a great example of how people on here think differently. I can't imagine what people would say to me if I told them I purchased a property in Spain that lost heaps of money and now I think I might buy another one. I imagine they would all think I was an idiot. But when I read it I think 'hey that could be a good idea'

miked likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi Sanj,

I also agree with you that financial security is very important and property is not the only way. Only wish they taught in schools about this. In my opinion, lack of financial security impacts so many other areas of our life, not just financial...its scary and I feel for many elderly people now.

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Agreed it is idiot proof and simple. But the more simple it is the more it gets to me that my mates just arent interested. If someone told me a simple and to a certain extent "easy" way to make money I would be all over it...

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Property long term is the easiest way to build a small nestegg. It's when investors have aspirations for the 4mil plus net worth through property or thereabouts, being a passive, sit back investor isn't enough. But I agree 100%, for the average person who wants to build a modest nest egg to supplement super, buying, renting and holding is really simple and easy.

8. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

@Tim86 - we aren't normal.

MTR likes this.
  9. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time with them regarding property. If they can't share your enthusiasm or positive attitude towards property, don't ever bring it up to them again.

I've had friends and even family who've told me 'all you ever talk about is property', 'why are you so greedy'. Funnily enough, most of them are landlords now too. I still receive those same lines.

Just background noise. We've got our own goals and dreams. Any one who wants to **** on it isn't a friend.

miked likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree.

MTR:)

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In the main I find that most people don't give a rats about what you do whether its property investing or whatever. How many parties, functions etc do you attend where someone is really interested in "you", most people are about "me", just my observation.

Not all desire the same goals, so what..... does not make them wrong, perhaps we are wrong, not everyone is a successful property investor, and amassed millions. I know a few that have lost their shirts, they should never have gone down the property investing route.

MTR:)

Perp likes this.
  12. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I find it easier to talk about more than just how much money I'm worth and engage with people on different levels rather than use social interactions as an opportunity to preach.

I have an acquaintance that goes on about the stockmarket and how easy it is to make money. It is tedious and just an excuse for him to boast. That kind of talk is never pleasant for anyone and has provided a good guide as to how not to interact.

2FAST4U, MTR, OC1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

See I don't get that attitude. And it's a common one.

It seems like in society you can share when you've got horrible things happening to you "Oh I just got made redundant"... or "My boss is being an ass hole" or "The car broke down, it's such a piece of junk" etc.... negative negative negative is all fine. You can share that. BUT share something positive, share your success with someone and you're seen as a boasting blow hard who should just shut up.

I get the boasting thing if it's done to put others down. But honestly if a mate of mine got an awesome promotion, or got a job that paid more than me, or whatever, I'd be happy for them.

I like to talk about property because it's my interest, something I enjoy, something I'm passionate about. It also happens to be something that gives financial wealth. If it were any other passion (sports, politics, etc... etc...) then that would be fine. But because this passion brings wealth with it...it's not okay to talk about?

A good example is my mate being over worked, he shared about how he was overworked and underpaid. And I listened and was supportive.

Then it was only natural in the conversation for me to share my experience with my day job. But then I had to stop myself short because my day job is awesome and I get treated really well. But in this social situation I'm not allowed to share what I'm experiencing in the area that is being discussed because it's too positive...

Then it's a natural desire to want to see your mates more successful too and on the same page as you, so then you talk about opportunities for them. But then that's not acceptable either... because that's "preaching".

Anyway I get why things are the way they are. But it's all just a bit frustrating.

And don't get me wrong. I don't just talk about property and preach to people. I do talk about other things too :)

Angel and Sackie like this.
  14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'vebeen in my current job for a year and I told the guys while eating lunch, when I was about 6 months into the role that "I like my job". Everybody else was like "really?"

I found it amazing that so many people didn't really like their jobs.
    I think if they went out and worked somewhere else they would miss where they work now. Our management try to make it a really good workplace.
    Or maybe it was my six month honeymoon and reality is going to kick in?
    Could be. But I do enjoy my work. :)

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with liking your job :)

I get treated really well at my job. Plus I get to help out kids that are doing it really tough. So I get looked after, treated well, and as a bonus I get to feel good because I'm helping kids in need.

Nothing to complain about there :)

16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

yup

Part of your challenge is normal.so dont sweat it

When you differentiate from those around you, you suddenly become a cult follower................because you are no longer with you current crowd.

Time for additional association........note I didnt say dump your "normal" friends and relos, if you dont get specific targetted input on what you are doing and why, your normal friends may soon get you back to your normal.

ta
    rolf

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

One of my faves

Would u do your work for free...................................

ta

rolf

18. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You're a sick person ;)

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't think admitting you love your work has to mean you would do it for free. I think most people need or want to work, and don't enjoy not having a purpose to get them out of bed. I love my work but I wouldn't do it for free. I started the job for reasons that had nothing at all to do with money. I wanted to socialize, get out of the house (but still love being at home). I wouldn't do it now if it was not a paid job (but I would have when I started), and I would miss the interaction if I resigned.

I did try some charity work but didn't feel particularly welcomed but will likely give it another go when I'm a little older. Perhaps the fit was not right and I need to try again.

OC1 likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I believe many people are in their current line of work because they have to be to pay bills, and not because its a passion that gets them excited on most days. That's the reality for many, many people. Only a few people actually love what they do everyday and are passionate about it. I feel through a combination of much hard work and divine blessing, i can now live my passion each day and I don't take a single day for granted. Just my opinion.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2015