Why does RPData allow a vendor to withhold a sold price?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by wylie, 20th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JudsonJames

JudsonJames New Member

Does anyone know if a publicly disclosed price can be hidden post disclosure? I usually REQUEST the sale price isn't disclosed when buying, but completely forgot on my latest purchase, I'm wondering if I can get it taken off websites after the fact.

2. pinewood

pinewood Well-Known Member

This is just my own observation, when I am told by the agent that the buyer does not want the price disclosed or if agents are not willing to get back to me for a property I'm interested in, if I wait 3 months or so the sold price will eventually appear on onthehouse.com even if it was listed as sold and price withheld months prior.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes, notice this with auctions, sale price not disclosed.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We purchased our PPOR in 1979. The purchase price is listed on Onthehouse. Found out We paid $500 more than I remembered!!
    Marg

5. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

If you're the buyer, just ask the agent to not disclose the price. Sure as others have said, it comes out eventually. One of mine where I asked to not disclose, is still showing the wrong price on re.com.au but Pricefinder has the correct price 3 months later.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

For NSW all prices are available by using Google Earth with the globe plug-in (globe.nsw.gov.au). You'll also find Land Values, previous sales, lot/DP, Strata sales, lot sizes etc.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

This is an example of one that sold in 2015 and still no price there:
    2 Rodda Place, Calwell ACT

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The address above is an example with no price on Pricefinder or onthehouse.
    Odd.

9. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

The bank valuer will have copy of the COS so that would be unlikely an advantage.

10. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I have a real problem with the lack of transparency in the Victorian property market:
    • A property will be advertised with no price range given.
    • The agent's guide price is generally 10% to 20% below the reserve.
    • If it's sold at auction, then there's a good chance that the price achieved won't be disclosed.
    I've got a problem with auctions being reported as "price withheld" because they're a public event, normally held on the street outside. If the crowd of onlookers knows what a place sold for, then it's not exactly private. So why the coyness in reporting it?

There was a suggestion in the UK a few years ago that all sales prices be reported and published immediately in the Land Registry, perhaps as pending until the deal was done. The idea was that buyers could track them, and be less vulnerable to agents talking up the market.

I don't think that the privacy argument washes, particularly if the numbers are released a few months later in any case.

Justin23 and Perthguy like this.
  11. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Bit late if its out there already.

12. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

In QLD its the law that price range is not advertised if its an auction. Apparently to stamp out underquoting.
    If you follow the market you will know how much each agent underquotes and you can disregard what they say.

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I asked for my PPOR purchase price to be withheld because I got a truly spectacular buy... agent said the purchase price would be revealed on the websites however in about 3 months... that was true.

14. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people don't want their price to be disclosed, I have had mine disclosed and no one has walked up to me and said oh you bought your house for x, ever!

@JudsonJames I bet you used the sold prices on re.com before purchasing as part of your DD why not give back to the community that allowed you the same benefit?

After all in a couple of months the prices come out anyway...

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good for the goose, good for the gander so to speak.