Why do cheques still take so long to clear?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by wylie, 30th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That's so annoying if it is the case... closing branches, reducing staff and yet unable to accommodate a large transfer without charging for something that costs them nothing to do.

Never giveup likes this.
  2. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

I actually asked them, that if I realky want my money and ask for x amount cash, yu will have to prepare a cash order process it and then someone will bring, another person check and then issue me(not to mention the time I have to spend on ordering collection etc) -that costs you more and you are giving me free compared to couple.of clicks transfer costing me $28...

Guy said, many people have provided this feedback but ANZ policy hasn't changes yet.

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I actually can't remember the last time I saw anyone paying for goods or services using a cheque.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm with Westpac as well. I've got the larger limit, Hubby hasn't.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust him with large amounts of cash either. :p

skater likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We each have a log in and have had different limits at times, especially when we were making big transfers to the builder. It's one good thing I can say about Westpac.

skater likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I just had a thought - what do people do when buying/selling cars privately? Used to hand over a bank cheque in exchange for the keys and transfer doco....

The Y-man

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Would you believe in US cheques are common and used all the time, same as faxes:confused: I got rid of fax machine years ago

Crazy

craigc likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes - it's been a while since I was last in the US, but even back then I was surprised at the number of people who would use a cheque (they call them a "check" don't they?) to buy normal stuff - such as at the supermarket.

10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think I saw something on youtube about some American guy recommending online banking. Wow, so (not :rolleyes: ) advanced!

11. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I was there in 1983 you couldnt use credit cards and they didnt have ATMs , even in California where they were created 60 years earlier. To use a credit card to get cash, you had to go into a a bank and write a personal cheque and show your credit card . WTF. I was amazed at how backward they were.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In 1990 in England, the bank gave you a cheque guarantee card, which you could use to validate a cheque you wrote at the supermarket for instance.

In Colombia 5 years ago, when they already had ID free paywave here, if I used a credit or debit card at the supermarket, I had to enter a PIN, sign, and show my passport (original only, no copies or showing on the phone).

But they're not backward technologically. If you parked in a multi storey mall park, you could enter your car number plate to find out just where you were parked.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Walk into a branch of your bank with card and PIN and additional ID. Staff can transfer unlimited value through EFT over the counter.

14. bill_murray

bill_murray Member

Cheques get scanned in for processing by the tellers (special machine that does it). Someone will then come collect the cheques to safely destroy.

Delay is because banks don't want to invest money in improving cheques because there is not enough people using them.

15. Paul@PAS

Presented cheques are batched for the issuing paying bank and part of the daily settlement system. The depositors bank hands these to the paying bank. These are "filed" and I imagine these days its all scanned. Once they were stored May still be ??? If a fraud allegation came up they can be retrieved. Ironically NOBODY checks signatures for most cheques. Only a issue if a customer raises issue with false presentation of a cheque and banking rues allow a settlement chargeback within XX days. Thats why cheques have clearance times. IDK if this limits a customer complaint to a short period - Imagine not. No idea if the physical retention is the same now but last case I saw approx 4+ years ago ATO were able to access copies for a dispute.

16. geoffw

It used to be that signatures were never checked for cheques below a certain amount. It was cheaper for banks to refund fraudulent cheques than to check signatures.

17. Paul@PAS

Banking IT systems these days make it faster than it used to be and the clearance time of cheques now means balances are better unable to be drawn against than in past years.
    Probably the greatest limit to cheque clearance time is fraud. Cheques are a lousy form of reliability. Most banks even have a settlement time for Reserve Bank cheques and bank cheques as its not hard for crooks to print a fake and access a MICA encoder. Or to alter one they intercept. Cops raided bikies recently and found MICA machines the cops said were worth a lot for use in crimes Banks keep adding security devices to negotiable paper but the crooks are good at catching up. Once bank chqs were able to be drawn against same day. Now they also get three days.

18. geoffw

I tried this today for a large amount. A transfer was going to cost $25. A bank cheque - $10 - with the recipient bank just across the street.