Why do cheques still take so long to clear?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by wylie, 30th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is 2021 and I can't believe it has taken from Monday until this morning to have a cheque cleared.

I used to work in a bank in the lending area, but used to help Friday night balancing in the branch (late 70s) and assume cheques are still left in the night bag to be collected physically, taken to a clearing house, redirected to the appropriate bank and processed.

Does this still happen? I still have noticed bags inside branch doors at night, so I assume so. When I can make an Osko payment and have it immediately in someone's account, why are cheques taking four nights to clear?

I'm just curious why everything else in life is moving fast, and this seems to be stuck in the dark ages.

Cousinit and qak like this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Because the delay is built into the physical nature of the medium. Thats why the solution is to stop using cheques, instead of making it faster.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

@wylie I used to also work at a bank (80's). I was in a Branch & every day, all day long someone would be inputting cheques as well as the normal deposits & withdrawals. The cheques that came from other banks would get sent out overnight, as you mentioned, but the ones from our own would be input that day. So you would have a 3 day clearance for other banks, and bank cheques would have immediate clearance. Nowadays even bank cheques have the same clearance as other cheques.

I believe it's deliberate, as they want people to stop using them.

Cousinit, wylie and Phoenix Pete like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can't use the excuse that 'the cheque's in the email', they won't believe you.

Phoenix Pete and datto like this.
  5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Because a cheque is nothing but an IOU. It has to be passed to the issuers bank for them to release the funds and communicate that back to the payees bank plus transfer the funds. It used to be done physically with cheque sorting centres in each state physically receiving cheques, sorting them and passing them to the issuers bank branch for verification (signature, funds available) - signature verification still largely needed.

Fun question. What marks a cheque as non-negotiable - The words or the two parallel lines?

Answer - the two parallel lines. The only case I can think of where a mark has more legal weight than words.

wylie, Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Fun fact
    Signatures are not verified at all if under a certain $ amount. Unless they've changed that since the 80's. If somebody disputed an entry, then they used to pull them out of the archives and check them.

One of my duties at one stage was 'punching' the cheques. Basically data entry. It was very quick, you'd just enter BSB, A/C No & Amount into the computer each morning. Then balance that with what the expected total was.

qak likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What i want to know is why, in this day and age, anyone is still using cheques.

I think, maybe I know where my chequebook is ... but last time I used it would be 10+ years ago

qak likes this.
  8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I used to have to do the MICR encoding (just the amount IIRC) when I was in a branch. Then the cheques were left in a pouch for collection and I suppose they were sorted into the different banks to then go to the secret midnight interchange assignation!

The last time I received a cheque I did think damn, have to get this to a branch. That was only 18 months ago.

A few years ago I was talking to a guy from USA and he said the cheque account holder gets the original cheque back which made me go o_O

9. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Im old enough remember cheques being common place (although was never old enough to own a cheque book), but even I think how 'crazy' it was to be able to pay a retailer with what is essentially just a paper note IOU.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I had cheque books attached to various LOC's. Very handy for paying bills back in the day.

Most retailers did not accept cheques.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fun fact - you don't actually need to write a "cheque" on a bank published cheque. As you said - it's simply in IOU.

A bill of exchange (which is what a cheque is) can be written on anything, as long as it has a date, account number/bsb, amount, name of account, signature and payee name ... napkin anyone?

Stoffo, wylie and skater like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just as much security as tap & go payments on an unsecured phone.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

There a lots of reasons. Transaction limits on accounts . When you buy things at clearing sales or auctions cheque are the only practical way to get payment done and done quickly. If you want something done some people only accept cash if you dont have cash they have to take a cheque. Share registeries may need to use cheques if beneficary hasnt update altered details. For tax planning I have my rent paid by cheque so I can reduce tax and delay payment , advantage of lower tax rates. Also so to improve servicing requirements for banks by selecting which financial year income comes in and expense go out. First year of 2 year financials, inome pushed forward ,expenses paid early , 2nd year of financials, expenses pushed foreward , Income credited early. 4 years income weighted towards 2. On year 5 repeat.

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Our greatest telco sent me cheque about a month ago when I closed one of my accounts :eek:.

WTF and a complete PITA.

I had to go to COVID-riddled NSW to bank it :D.

datto, skater and Lizzie like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

England used to have "cheque guarantee cards", which allowed the retailer to accept payment by cheque in the same way as a cash payment. Credit cards were less common than here at the time.

The last time I used a cheque was as a gift sent by post. Neither direct transfers nor cash would have worked as well.

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I like cheques to pay the deposit at auctions.

17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think also that the 3 day delay prevents fraud for owner (drawer) of the cheque. It gives them time to cancel the cheque.

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A bank will give you a blank cheque over the counter just like that (sound of finger snap).

19. Diesel1990

Diesel1990 Active Member

Nab and westpac (?)now have a cheque deposit function on their apps. Take a photo, upload, keep the cheque for 10 days and your good to go.

20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member