Why can't Tasmanian government use this for subsidised housing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wylie, 18th Feb, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Following a few sidetracks leading from the post this week about Tasmanian property that was photoshopped, I went looking for the property listing.

That led me to notice the old building that we stayed in for a few nights on a visit to Launceston is on the market for 5.5m.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-launceston-141201076

We slept in the old building, nicely renovated. We had breakfast in the new building behind it.

Firstly, I'm curious that this is listed on residential and commercial sites. I guess someone may turn it back into a gracious old mansion.

More importantly, wouldn't 5.5m be very good value for the Tasmanian government to provide subsidised housing, even short term?

It has 21 bedrooms, 19 bathrooms. It shows a small kitchen, but we had cooked breakfast each morning. I'd assume one other room beside that kitchen in the new area could be taken to create a larger kitchen.

Divided up, it comes to 261k per bedroom/bathroom, ready to go. Surely that's cheaper than anything the government could build?

Last edited: 18th Feb, 2023
    TheRons, Anchor and Antoni0 like this.
  2. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

Love those buildings in Tassie!

Governments don't really want to spend money on public housing or they would be doing it instead of talking about it. They want the private sector to do the heavy lifting for them while they portray the same investors as part of the problem!

craigc and Firefly99 like this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

There is a housing commission estate in Hamilton, Newcastle which is a ghetto and a good reason why the government does not want to build any housing just for those unfortunate people who are unable to look after themselves. It is hell on earth for the decent people who find themselves having to live there.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I love that building, but couldn't see any Government using something like that.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It's a nice thought but the law of unintended consequences would make this a super expensive idea.

The money you'd save in startup costs would be dwarfed by the inter-generational social costs of having a bunch of vulnerable people living so close together.

Social housing is hard.

thatbum, Lizzie and balwoges like this.
  6. wylie

I agree. I was more thinking short term housing for those who are really vulnerable, rather than long term housing for long term vulnerable people.

I had just read about newly separated women, or those escaping violence. One featured in the article was a woman living with her daughter in a tent, charged $300 per week. She had a job, but couldn't get a rental due to the shortages.

I guess I'd like the world to be different to how it actually is.

Firefly99, skater, Cousinit and 3 others like this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I think in that regard we would all feel that way.

Ta

rolf

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

But how do you stop the short term turning into long term - you can't kick them out after 2 years - and the amount of times one hears sob stories of an oldie living alone in a 3 bedroom home, but "it's been their home for 30 years!" even tho the kids are long gone ... there is nowhere else for them to go.

And then there is the expense of maintenance etc

Better, and cheaper, to subsidise landlords in legit housing

marty998 and PaulB like this.
  9. wylie

I'm not sure how to control that, but just think it could solve a serious problem. I've read the new problem is middle aged women who find themselves homeless, often via divorce. Sleeping in a tent with a child is a horrible situation and how can one feel safe doing that?

I do agree the people who once needed a three bedroom home and are allowed to stay there while families are desperate for a place is something that needs to be addressed. It's just wrong.

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Similar to NGOs for much of the charity type work, governments might be able to make it work financially, but dont have the resources or the willingness to care for the people's other than obvious needs

ta
    rolf

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I fully agree ... the government dropped the ball and short term holiday accommodation hasn't helped ... suspect, like many social issues, there is no easy answer

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I know an older lady living in a three bed H/C home. She has asked to be moved into a smaller unit, as the upkeep of the lawn is getting too much for her. She's been waiting for over 5 years.

13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Daily life in the badlands of South Hamilton, Newcastle, otherwise known as the Bronx

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia