Why are we calling negative gearing a "benefit"?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by John_BridgeToBricks, 6th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If anything, its a mutual benefit for the individual and for society. So we all benefit which cancels out any exclusive benefit for anyone.

kierank and Francesco like this.
  2. Deck

Deck Well-Known Member

Both happen anyway even with NG

3. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

In my opinion:

In government terminology a 'benefit' is a freebie to eligible Australians. It is like a grant. Once given it is for the recipient to keep.
    An incentive is any change a government brings that will likely change the economic behaviour of a target segment of the population in the way the government wishes.

Abolishing NG should fall in the category of being a disincentive to investors.
    Some investors may leave the rental market partially and some act more decisively, depending on their individual assessments of the investment market in Australia vs available opportunities in Australia and overseas.

The demand in the rental market consists of many groups of people:
    1) younger age workers saving for a deposit with various pay ranges. Some upwardly mobile and aspiring for higher standards of living.
    2) significant of chronic rentals because of lower skill and education, access to deposit, mentally challenged or disciplined to maintain a mortgage, geographically mobile and disinclined to being tied up with a mortgage responsibility
    3) constant cohorts of migrants requiring time to appraise needs to settlement
    4) significant numbers from dissolution of family groups of divorcing and separating couples
    5) financial setbacks to matured households due to bankruptcies, economy downturns
    6) miscellaneous factors due to deaths, fire, flood, demolition for infrastructure development, etc

How the States budget for welfare housing will be significant. The budget is likely to be affected by the special levies and tax provided through the private rental market will be affected. The significance of this interplay will not be immediately apparent until perhaps up to a year.

The size of the inventory of rental properties will help to mask the impact of the abolition of NG, complicating assessments.

It is the interplay of reduced supply of rental properties and the complex multi streams of demand that will determine whether private rent will increase or decrease in different localities.

This complex dynamics will be played out across the rental market across Australia when NG is abolished over time. So, in certain places it may lead to rental increases but seldom immediately. More perceptible sooner would be the prices of rental properties and these may presage the direction of changes of rent levels.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2019
    Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

NG typically provides a cashflow incentive. Thats a benefit for those with other income sources that are taxed.

In many cases rental losses reflect non-cashflow deductions like depreciation and cap allowances. Throw in a tax refund at 30-45% (marginal tax rates) and its a benefit. Funded by Govt.

The proposed ALP policies wont change that much. It will limit new investors access to neg gearing. But property investment will remain. And some existing investors may work out the loopholes in time and when conditions are ripe they will buy again.

TheSackedWiggle and Zoolander like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm happy that we can agree to disagree on this. I'm guessing you were not trying to get a loan in the 70s and 80s. A single woman simply could not get a loan with the CBA in the early 80s.There may have been exceptions to that rule (lady doctor? huge deposit?), but it was not easier than it is today in my experience.

I've watched our three sons go through the process of getting loans, and the last loan was interesting as the tight lending was the closest I'd seen since back in the 80s when lending was tight (perhaps for different reasons) so I'm not just using my anecdotal "back in my day" experience in reaching my opinion about how easy it was then compared to now.

And my parents would have said it was harder for them to get their first house in the 50s. My mother couldn't even stay working after she was engaged. So one income only once you became engaged.

Perthguy, Joynz and The Y-man like this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No - that's not what I said.

In my reply to @Deck I was saying that if an existing owner occupier buys a property from an investor, then there is one less property available for rent.

I wasn't talking about a renter buying the property - I maintain that except in a minority of cases, that simply isn't going to happen. You can't just expect all the renters to turn around and buy a property, it simply isn't going to happen - most of them don't have any real savings or the serviceability to buy where they want to live.

A lot of the argument about the effects on supply vs demand assume that it's all a zero sum game and that every transaction requires a corresponding transaction.

However, this is not the case as you have multiple factors increasing and decreasing demand (especially natural population growth plus net positive migration) as well as new properties entering the market increasing supply (or even decreasing supply if you lived in Opal Tower? :rolleyes: ).

It is a game of musical chairs - but it's not an even game and that's the whole point - it's more of a game of balancing the see-saw and if the weight of demand starts to dominate and supply can't keep up (or becomes constrained by properties leaving the market), then the scale will tip towards increasing rent.

Francesco and BuyersAgent like this.
  7. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

The reason why it is important to leave NG on existing dwellings as well as new dwellings, is because it is not enough to get the negative gearing benefits on a new property - you also need to be able to sell it.

If you sell a property in an asymmetric market where new dwellings have different tax to existing dwellings, this will still impair the value of all dwellings. Ie if you have a new dwelling, but you can't sell it, it makes all properties worth less.

The key is keeping supply up to keep rents down. And making only OTP properties attractive that you can never sell, is going to be a problem for overall supply.

All of this is noise of course: the real problem here is a moral and intellectual one. Why should property investors pay above the marginal tax rates (at their gross taxable income) while everyone else pays at their marginal tax rates at the net taxable income.

craigc and qak like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Don't worry John - the next step will be to disallow all deductions against your income, to level the playing field - everyone will be paying tax based on their gross taxable income :p :rolleyes:

dragon and BuyersAgent like this.
  9. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Hello John, yes these rules have not been thought through as well as they should. And then look to disadvantage new investors. As you adhere to, one may have purchased an off the plan to gain these benefits, but to then onsell it, the desire for an investor to now purchase it becomes less as the tax incentives are no longer there.

The whole reason for these changes is to entice purchasing of new property, to entice new building and jobs. In one way it is encouraging more oversupply in an already oversupplied market. This effect could increase the potential price of an off the plan unit to become 10% or so higher than the equivalent unit built recently but void of benefits. Is it fair not to suggest that new otp units would command a premium over the equivalent not quite brand new unit.

We do not really know what the overall effects will be yet. There are many new variables to this which are also new to our housing market, as will be the effects.

10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Read @Simon Hampel 's post above, that is essentially what I was getting at. Saying rents can't rise because it is a closed loop or zero sum game is the part he (and I) are disagreeing with.

Francesco, Perthguy and Simon Hampel like this.
  11. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

In the UK interest is progressively being disallowed as an allowable expense, no grandfathering. And this is a change brought in by a Conservative government.

Landlord tax: an overview of the changes to buy-to-let tax relief

"To put this in numbers, if Jane has a rental income of £2,000 per month and her mortgage interest payments are £1,500 a month, under the current rules she will only pay tax – at her current tax rate – on the £500 difference.

However, after all the changes are implemented, Jane will be taxed on her full rental income of £2,000, minus any allowable expenses and can only claim a tax reduction at a maximum of 20%."

12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

They also imposed an extra stamp duty on anyone that buys a second home , regardless if it is a holiday home or a rental property., as well possibly another one for overseas investors that live outside the U.K

13. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

..... and common sense would dictate that there's now also one less renter looking for a place to rent! (supply vs demand is left unchanged).

Just to simplify things, this is the point I don't get. Even if the buyer was an existing owner occupier upgrading to another property, surely he wouldn't leave his old residence unoccupied....? I think it's reasonable to assume that he would either sell his old place, or rent it out. Either way, his old house is released back into the market. To be sure, there ARE exceptions such as (but probably not limited to):

1) The buyer is a new immigrant (they never had an "old" house)
    2) The buyer has just moved out of accommodation which was shared with other people (their "old" house is still being occupied by others, so doesn't get released back into the market).

The crucial point being that neither of the above conditions relate specifically to NG.

14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I have thought for a number of years that negative gearing on established property has well past its use by date .
    For something that was introduced in the 80s to help investors when interest rates shot up and the small profits turned into small losses ,it has just morphed into a multi-billion dollar loss making exercise , which in recent times provides very little additional property, from memory I think something like over 90% of IPs were established property
    In many cases the tenants will get kicked out ,and then new tenants will move in.
    We have generally taken a slow approach to IPs and its worked out quite well , and the NG refunds ,just paid for our holidays.
    As interest rates get to low it also increases volatility in the economy and in house prices,as the RBA is unable to effectively deal with bad economic news ,where in the past you would see movements of 200-300++ pts in interest rates. With the current rate at 1.5%, its impossible to do anything that is meaningful to the economy..
    For people buying in the current market they might be lucky if they see a 50 pt reduction in rates over the life of the loan , if they are lucky, but those that bought a half the price in Sydney prior to 2012, have seen rates drop by 300-400 pts.

15. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I would say the ever increasing losses being claimed has finally become a burden for the government. And a lot over recent years, with record numbers of investors taking out record debt levels and paying interest only loans in record numbers.

Even if rates rose 1 or 2% , the increase in claimed losses would rise significantly, becoming more of a burden. The same can be said with falling rents. The claimed losses become greater.

This is becoming a burden for the government. But is unlikely the reason Shorten is wanting to change things. I doubt he thinks that far ahead.

16. Simon Hampel

No. You're still not getting it.

The person who bought the property was not a renter - they were an owner occupier who sold their home to someone else who was most likely also not a renter. It is a game of musical chairs as owner occupiers move between houses.

So the renter is forced to find a new property to rent because the property they lived in is no longer available. Only if a new investor buys a similar property in the area and makes it available for rent will the supply remain the same.

The renter does not become an owner occupier. Only in a minority of cases will that occur - most renters will remain renters.

Let me explain it using a real life scenario.

We live in a rented house in Artarmon. The local public school is one of the best in the state and in very high demand (we didn't know this when we moved here 20 years ago!) - people send their kids there even if they will later go to a private school (typically starts around year 5 that they all go off to private schools).

We have two pre-teen kids and I work from home full time - we use all 4 bedrooms of this house (technically, my office is a sunroom - but it could be used as a bedroom). Moving to a unit is not an option for us - nobody builds 4 bedroom units.

The rental market for houses in this area is extremely tight - there are periods where there are literally no houses available to rent within the school catchment zone. The houses that do occasionally become available are executive rentals where you'll pay $1,400+ per week rent.

Now, if the owners of our house decide to sell next year, I can almost guarantee you that it will not be to an investor (yields at around 2% and no negative gearing?), so we will be forced to find a new house to live in because there is no way that we could service the loan required to buy it.

But there aren't any houses to rent in the area. Or if there are - there is a huge demand for them. If other investors also leave the market and the properties are sold to owner occupiers, the demand for other houses just gets tighter.

The key is that this market is dominated by the desire for people to get their kids into the local public school - which means that there is a finite number of properties they can potentially rent if they want to be within the catchment.

Renting or buying a cheaper house in the next suburb isn't an option - there is a fixed (and sometimes shrinking!) boundary for where you can buy if you want to get your kids into the school - and that is what drives demand here.

I know it's a fairly unique example and doesn't necessarily apply to other areas - but it is a real example of how investors leaving the market can impact on rents.

In other less-closed areas where there aren't such strong drivers - and for smaller families / couples and singles who are also happy to live in apartments - the dynamic is quite different and they typically have much more flexibility about where they live, so the supply equation is much more fluid and flexible.

If an area already has plentiful supply, then some investors leaving the market won't have significant impact in the short term until demand starts to dominate - it's an extremely complex equation which can't simply be summarised as "investor sells = supply drops = rents increase". But in certain markets where rental supply is already constrained and rental demand is already very strong, it's going to have an huge impact if investors decide to sell.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would have thought that the UK Government would be the LAST government anyone would recommend we follow ;).

For example, have we already forgotten the way they are handling Brexit :eek:?

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ah yes. So when an investor sells an IP the renter automatically converts to a home owner?

Someone needs to explain to him why this doesn't happen.

19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Politicians playing stupid games as they do.
    But seriously , they face similar problems with housing costs which got out if hand,especially in the SE area of the U.K and many areas with decent links to London .
    Much of the issue was all about open immigration from mainland Europe and the flow on to house prices.
    But leave it to politicians to make a balls up of it .

kierank likes this.
  20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If you get it and I don't it's a benefit.

That wasn't hard was it?

Sir Garfield Barwick has a lot to answer for I reckon.