Why all the 'not advice' comments in posts?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Joynz, 22nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I've noticed that more and more posts include the phrase 'not advice' at the end.

This seems very odd to me, especially since most of the opinions expressed are pretty run-of-the-mill, anyway.

Why bother to post at all if you then feel the need to say 'not advice'?

Do those posters really think someone will base a decision on their post and then come back to PC and blame them if it doesn't work out?

What is the concern here?

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2017
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

That you will jump off a bridge if someone tells you to.

Which you shouldn't.

Not advice.

Redom, samiam, Chabs and 12 others like this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Discussion is often aimed to broaden thought about a topic, not offer a solution or a direction. Plus most here aren't qualified/licenced to offer advice.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If they are business members and its not specific advice to that persons situation, it needs to be disclaimed as general advice lest that person take legal action because they followed said advice

Whitecat, C-mac, JacM and 1 other person like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Providing financial advice without a licence is illegal. Some of the posts could be interpreted as advice I guess. Although I don't interpret them that way, I think some people could. So posters add "not advice" to make it clear they are discussing and providing an opinion, not providing advice. I don't mind it. I think it is good.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

but it works the opposite here, most give advice and provide a solution including me Why? because people ask and its a forum and most aren't qualified/licenced professionals... so what does that mean?? The Blind leading the blind:p

Seriously though, common sense must prevail, its dependent on the topic.

If you need specific advice regarding tax etc. would you not seek professional help? why would you take advice from someone who does not have the credentials.

MTR:)

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2017
    Chabs, SOULFLY3, HUGH72 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I don't know but you should read all my posts and follow exactly what I say if you know what's good for you.

Not advice. DYODD DYOR etc etc

8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Hi Joynz.

The concern is that, even though often times carefully thought out and shared opinion is well intended, it is exactly that; opinion. No one can be held responsible for a recipient's lack of due diligence or taking action on what is shared here without due consideration and regard for their own personal circumstances.

This is, for the most part, a faceless forum on the internet. Nothing here can be construed as advice when the person receiving the opinions for the questions they may ask hasn't made public all the material information required for people to give advice.

We are all keyboard warriors seeking fellowship here and helping those we can whilst we in turn benefit from being here. It is opinions we share on this forum, sometimes sweeping and general and sometimes specific, however opinions nonetheless.

C-mac, Ted Varrick, HUGH72 and 2 others like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I never give advice on PC nor in the real world but I am always happy to give my opinion :) :).

samiam, Chabs, Alwayslearning and 9 others like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Some of the questions I have asked is areas where it is not possible to get the proper advice from a forum. I just like the discussion and opinions beforehand so I can go to my professional prepared, able to ask the right questions and able (to some extent) to understand the answers. I have paid for professional advice that was less useful and less accurate than some of the opinions in posts here. If I was not educated, I would not known that advice was wrong. Close friends got suckered in by this pro and paid the price. I ran a mile!

SOULFLY3, big max, HUGH72 and 4 others like this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hence my query about the 'not advice' phrase.

I belong to a couple of other forums (renovation and sustainability- related) and posts there don't include the 'not advice disclaimer as much as on this forum...

12. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Its probably a sign that there are more legitimate experts on this forum tbh.

Chabs, Westminster, Angel and 5 others like this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sadly, some people DO act on advice they receive from an unknown person that they read online. A gentle reminder to seek professional advice after offering an opinion is intended to prevent an unsophisticated or gullible poster assuming that the person offering that opinion has more authority than they actually possess.

In turn, I am often amazed at some of the legal and accountancy questions posted. Surely such serious issues warrant professional advice rather than mostly anonymous opinions!
    Marg

Terry_w, Westminster, MTR and 3 others like this.
  14. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Because common sense is not so common ...

15. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I thought it was because the opinions and not advice on this forum is all mostly financial.
    There are massive penalties for providing financial services and/or advice if you are not qualified to do so. It's a way of making the reader really stop and think - and not follow what they read blindly.

Unfortunately not everyone is intelligent.

wylie, MTR and Perthguy like this.
  16. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Opinions are like ********s... everyone's got one

HUGH72, wylie and MTR like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well said Michael

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I always like this one Cactus:)

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you
    I am very surprised at some serious posts that require professor advice, perhaps too tight to spend $....

Marg4000 likes this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

because the implications of deicisions made based on advice/comments/forums/posts/threads can have devastating affects if done wrong,

no decision should be made lighty

kierank likes this.