Who's to Blame for Australia's Expensive Property?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Guest, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Undersupply and cost of providing new housing has to be in the mix for this discussion.

Guest likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Couldn't agree more @AndrewTDP (as alluded to in my original post), but I know far more about government policy affecting demand, compared with that which affects supply. Do you have any thoughts on ways government could change policy to improve costs and make it easier for developers to bring new supply to market?

There seems to be a huge surge in apartment completions at the moment, but it doesn't even seem like stock that most Australians are interested in owning... are we seeing a shift in the way people WANT to live or as a necessity due to increasing prices?

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes, but it would have a cost. 2 examples. The government could pick up the tab for the cost of providing infrastructure (e.g. water, sewer, power). This would make it cheaper and easier for developers to develop and release land. The cost is that infrastructure is expensive, so the government would have less money to provide other government services. The other would be to drop environmental regulation. The result would be quicker, easier and cheaper land. The cost would be to the environment. I think it's about balance.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Probably a bit of both.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Two words to address this post. Market forces.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

two new words from property chat dictionary

APRA hensive :)

I think one big issue that we arent seeing much discussion over is that aside from Sydney and parts of Melbourne, relative affordability is ok.

Just like we cant all drive Lexus, we cant all live in a Bondi House ..........

I dont see too much stress in US forums about affordability in Laguna beach when people can live in Toledo ( hi Engelo Rumora )

Seriously though, if you go back to the late 70s through to the mid 90s REAL wages growth was HUGE.... and its only really abated post GFC.

Pointless trying to provide affordable Lexus...................

ta
    rolf

Natedog and Toon like this.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, no. It's not that simple.

8. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Ironic if APRA pops the ''bubble'' they are trying to prevent from popping through their actions.

9. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

It is for simple minded folk like me.

No point in laying blame.

The market "is what it is" until it isn't.....

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.