Who works because they love it?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Harry30, 22nd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I here a lot on PC about people building up enough assets and wealth to eventually give up their day job and ‘retire’. Or maybe not retire, but at least quit the daily grind of a job to do something different, maybe work less, or at least enjoy the lifestyle of moving out of a stressful all consuming job.

Got me thinking about the opposite situation. Is there anyone out there who absolutely does not need to work, but does so. Maybe they just love their job, feel a sense of self worth, enjoy the routine, etc.

And do you find it difficult motivating yourself to turn up to work day to day if that pure economic necessity to work is no longer there?

Interested to hearing from people.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I don’t have a job or activity earn income, but I still “work” everyday.

hobo, ellejay, 158 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

If you find these people, terminate them with extreme prejudice.

4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

The only purpose for me to work atm is to speed up the process that will lead to me to not working...

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you can find the balance where you are not the boss-nor the worker ,but inbetween both then you become unemployable mindset-wise..

Propertunity and WattleIdo like this.
  6. Harry30

Is it not a signifiacant achievement in life to have found work we truly enjoy. We spend so much time doing it, why not find something we love doing. Many haven’t done so, which is ok. But many, to their credit, surely have.

Joynz and hobo like this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I have. I love my job. I'd do it for nothing. I'd pay to do it. I was inspired by it, thought about it, planned it, studied for it and maneouvered my way into it.
    Would just like to decrease the intensity by about 25%.

NHG, Beelzebub, Sackie and 4 others like this.
  8. Harry30

Well done. Love the passion. It is great to love what you do. If someone gave you $20m, would you turn up to work on Monday? Just asking.

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed working when I did it.

Then I retired (8 years ago). True retirement ****** all over enjoyable work.

Sackie, Barny, hobo and 2 others like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Can you please give an example/scenario?

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You mean 20 mil for nothing? Yes, I'd turn up because there are other people relying on me. They turn up for me, I turn up for them. But I wouldn't worry about full-time. Mind you, status is hard to let go; I have a strong competitive streak.

Harry30 likes this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Well, I am in real trouble as I am unemployed and unemployable

Propertunity and willair like this.
  13. Harry30

That is terrific. How did you find your ‘calling’. Was it a job you wanted to do from a young age (I always wanted to be a ......) or was it something you found through a more circuitous route?

14. willair

Happened to me over 18 years ago while doing the yearly tax early in the year when the Accountant we employed said --It's better to stop work now rather then keep working and paying tax how much do you need to be happy and the one word "compounding on compounding"..Looking back while going forward I've made more money from just doing nothing in a slothlike approach and never sell..
    You only have to look and read the internal mindsets of people that post with-in this ""intellectual village" who control massive amounts of investment's but still work--why?..

Quote ..
    Great investment opportunities come around when excellent companies are surrounded by unusual circumstances that cause the stock to be misappraised..
    Warren Buffett 1988.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
  15. Harry30

Maybe they love what they do?

16. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

The fact is that most humans have needs for connection, growth, significance, routine and variety and contribution that can only be met outside of family relationships, through work of some kind. Even if you only do this for a small part of the year it can be vital. Whether you do this occasionally during the year or as a regular gig you're onto a winner.

Charlotte30, Sackie, Angel and 2 others like this.
  17. willair

Maybe they do,but every morning I walk past the inner city river-link ferry local bus-stop looking at the faces lined up to go to work their looks do not translate into they want to be in that bus line up,even with all the social theorizers they watch on the mobile phones and that is one of the weak-nesses of wide spread social knowledge,just turn off the screen and live your own life on your own terms..

The Falcon and Harry30 like this.
  18. Gockie

I am lucky because I really do enjoy my work. It keeps me thinking.

Anyway, on Tuesday I went to an Army "YOU" session in the idea of joining the Army Reserves. Completely blitzed the aptitude tests. So anyway in my job opportunities report they come up with a list of potential jobs. Everything is in there!

I reckon they could accept me to become something like a Pilot or Aeronautical Engineer or Air Traffic Controller if I wanted to join full time but I don't want to commit the time.

Anyway, my current reserves preferences (you can pick up to 3) and I chose based on location are
    1. Army Officer
    2. Armoured Vehicle Crew
    3. Combat Engineer

The images show just some of the potential roles I have the "aptitude" for. How cool.

Ps. I haven't shared any of this info with my family (mum, dad, sisters) cause I'm sure they will say I'm completely nuts :)

This is only stage 1 though, and there would be a fitness test to get through. That's probably the biggest challenge for me - I am not a runner. Screenshot_20180622-213043.jpg Screenshot_20180622-213011.jpg

19. Harry30

Not an issue, but isn’t the pay tax free?

Gockie likes this.
  20. Gockie

Correct! :D
    And there's a daily retainer. Bonus. :)