Who to Vote for QLD elections today

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by zimbyzim, 19th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zimbyzim

zimbyzim Member

Hi

I don't follow politics( which I know i should) So who should I vote for that is most likely to help my property investing interests?
    Did a quick google and couldn't find a 5 minute read on candidates and positions so gave up and figured to ask here.
    Honestly how does the average non politically minded person get informed without bieng sucked into this world.

Cheers

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I don't even know where I'm registered after moving a dozen times in 5 years... plus I'm working all day anyway so will miss it.

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I will probably get flamed for this but I voted on Thursday and just collected my papers, walked straight to the boxes and put them in. I have no interest in politics so don't follow it and as a result have little to no knowledge about who stands for what so I don't want to give my vote to someone who may stand for something I do not. I really do wish voting wasn't compulsory.

4. zimbyzim

zimbyzim Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one who is happy to leave it up to those tho follow/care

5. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

You get the government you deserve.......
    Complacency is a growing issue with Australian voters.

We do need to give a damn who is representing our interests.

Otherwise we will continue with the circus clowns we have now........

My 2c....
    Carry on - ;)

radson, RM1827, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Tough one... Bundy R Bear or King Wally?? To tough to call guys, good luck :D

7. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

anyone in The Gabba electorate? None of the candidates look particularly inspiring.

8. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

You vote stupid, you get stupid governments. It takes only half a brain to get an overall feel for which government you align with. It's not rocket science.

9. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

In BCC LNP would be considered far more developer friendly, I know the other side have been running an anti development campaign....

10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

The existing labor candidate was so painful for so many of my clients. The new labor one will not be any better. Completely anti-development hippies.

11. RPI

Agreed. Our biggest clashes with local councilors are always of the red variety. Very much of the big bad rich developer out there to make huge dollars and ruin the lives of the locals mindset. If a lot of the locals in some of these areas where around 100 years ago we would still be living amidst farmland.

Pity that often the councilor is wealthy than the developer (it is always the little guys it effects most because they are doing the small developments that don't have the margin to fight protracted legal campaigns).

12. zimbyzim

zimbyzim Member

The Problem is i don't really care that much, Mandatory voting is stupid, likely 30-40 % of the votes are from people who have no clue and are just avoiding fines.
    Yes it may force some people to be more aware than they currently are, but quite unlikely.
    I wonder how often a party has won due to the odds of Random voting.
    And I do understand the overall feel of the parties, but there may be some policies which are likely to strongly effect property investing directly, that i'm unaware of.

13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Both Labor and the Greens seem to be pitching an anti-development agenda, so not them..

To me it's probably more selfish and greedy to try and prevent others to live in the same suburb because you got there first, but that is another discussion!

RPI likes this.
  14. RPI

Outstanding.

15. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

A great point you make Kinnon. I actually think that very point deserves its own thread.
    I have often thought if someone stood in the Senate for the "End Compulsory Voting Party" they'd romp it in. Wouldn't even need dodgy preference swaps like Jacqui or the Brick.

16. propernewb

propernewb Well-Known Member

How could you not care about the people who make the rules that ultimately affect your daily life?

Although it's hard to blame the public when elections are focused on the major parties who are virtually identical

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

My less than half a brain tells me that as a whole whoever is elected will do a similar job to what the other major party would have done if they had have been elected. Any minority party with radical views will not get the majority vote.

Elections, as I see it, is just a bunch of people making hollow promises to get a job.

I understand that if council do something I don't agree with I have no right to complain but on the other hand, if I am dissatisfied with something in my community then I will take the action myself to try to rectify it instead of relying on council to do something.

Call it apathy, ignorance, whatever you like, that's just my thoughts on it.

18. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

I hope you at least ticked the yes option on the 4 year term question, then you'll only need to donkey vote every 4 years :p

19. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Seems to be a choice of unions vs supports their mates/bigger business vs rarely actually costs out a policy vs I'll throw my hat in the ring but cant be bothered with the party machine

20. RPI

Looks like the Greens are going to get up in the Gabba ward, Helen Abrahams Labor retired at this election. This is not surprising given the resistance to any sort of development in their area, particularly West End.