Who to see to check future subdivision potential of a land in Goulburn

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Mindplay, 7th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mindplay

Mindplay Active Member

Hi all, I am going to live in Goulburn for 1 yr in 2018 and then return to Sydney in 2019. I am going to buy a old house with land component of 750sqm to 1000sqm corner/ wide blocks. Plan is to live during the work posting of 1 yr, then rent it out. And subdivide and sell/ develop in 5+ years time.

I have sort listed a couple of 3BR and 4BR houses within 2 to 3km from Goulburn town in R1 or R2 zones. Now which professional should I see to check and tell if a land is not sub-dividable (e.g. power line too close, sewerage in awkward position, gas line in the middle et c any other catch that makes the subdivision impossible. Who will be the best professional to check this for me?
    thanks

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

First stop is to chat with the council's duty planner to see what the min lot size is in the zone.

Sackie likes this.
  3. Mindplay

Mindplay Active Member

Thanks Anthony. Do I need to make an appointment or is it possible to walk in to the council office and talk?

Goulburn Council Guideline says:
    Mimimum lot sizes in R1 area= 700m2

4.1A
    Exceptions to minimum lot sizes for certain residential developmen in R1 General Residential,
    - Despite clause 4.1, development consent may be granted to the subdivision of a lot on land to which this clause applies on which development for any of the following purposes is proposed to be carried out if the area of each resulting lot is equal to or greater than the area specified for that purpose:
    (a) attached dwelling—350 square metres,
    (b) semi-detached dwelling—350 square metres.

4.1B
    Minimum lot sizes for multi dwelling housing and residential flat buildings
    - Development consent may be granted to development on a lot in a zone shown in Column 2 of the Table to this clause for a purpose shown in Column 1 of the Table opposite that zone, if the area of the lot is equal to or greater than the area specified for that purpose and shown in Column 3 of the Table.(3) This clause does not apply to land on which a heritage item is located.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Multi dwelling housing Zone R1 General Residential 1,050 square metres
    Multi dwelling housing Zone R2 Low Density Residential 1,050 square metres
    Residential flat building Zone R1 General Residential 1,050 square metres

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You can just ring up and talk to a duty planner. I would however not take what they say as 100% gospel because many planners at council are more lost than a stray dog. Also discuss a site you are interested in with your own town planning consultant.

Anthony416 likes this.
  5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes @Mindplay, the council rules show some flexibility in there but mainly for a KDR.

If you wanted to retain the existing dwelling, I would look for a larger than normal lot with the existing dwelling either well forward or to the rear of the lot which would allow Torrens sub-division without demolishing the existing dwelling.

6. Mindplay

Mindplay Active Member

The old houses I am looking at are on lands 900m2+. Called council today regarding permissibility for future KDR and building duplex or 3 villas on them.

Response:
    -council rules change every 5 years
    -yes those 2 addresses are in R1 area and semidetached dwelling is permitted
    -Q. Can I knockdown: it is not under heritage zone so knockdown is permissible but you have to apply for council consent and write a valid reason of knockdown in your the application.