Who should I sell my house with??

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by billybunks, 1st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. billybunks

billybunks New Member

Sup people, keeen to put the house on the market and sell yesterday...
    Had 3 different mobs come over-

*Ray White, most expensive. Bigger company, offer the two main sites (as do all 3 mobs) and bla bla $1500 + 3% commish

*Local Lad Friend of family, cheapest. 150 for advertising and 2.2% commish. Good guy, does realty part time. Maybe not much network but still offers the two main sites...

• Purple Bricks, $5270 for everything, HOWEVER you have to pay upfront. OR interest free loan...
      Two sites, plus the pretty awesome online data base they offer for buyer and seller. Sorta creates an online battle, eBay style.. sounds cool.
    Any opionions/advice?
    ps if you have any feedback on Purple Bricks, please back it up with SOMETHING..

2. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Who has sold the most in the last couple of months ... that's the result you're looking for isn't it?

3. billybunks

billybunks New Member

Bit flawed? Ray White has been in town for 400 years purple bricks about four minutes...

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

What we did was:
    * Look at all house sales within our suburb in the past 4 months or so (somewhat small suburb, only around 50 properties sell each year).

* Compare the final sale price of each property against how what we think the property is worth. 5 being an average result, something outstanding awarded a 9 or so, anything undersold worth around 3.

* Then, add up the scores for each agent. (Only look at the agents that sold at least a few, no "one offs"). Look at who had the highest average scores.

* Invite them to pitch.

The one with the highest average score had a better pricing offering. Marketing provided was great and it presented really well, communication during the campaign was great. I was very happy with how it went, no complaints.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2017
    EN710, Chris Au, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Go with the best performing agent who's selling comparable properties in your area. They might already have some buyers lined up.

Cheers

Jamie

Brady likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

3% commission is high. I'd try to get that down to 2.5%. Both will be + GST too.

What suburb?

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We work with a lot of agents. If you happy to mention suburb then I can let you know who we would use.

Brady likes this.
  8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

So far I'm only seeing price being mentioned - this shouldn't be the reason you pick an agent.

Should be picking base on who is going to sell it for the best price, once selected then look for them to do it for their best price.

Chris Au and Mick Butterfield like this.
  9. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I prefer to use the smaller Boutique agencies,have used the bigger Turn,N Churn franchises,and find its dog eat dog,smaller agencies work better for me,its more controlled.

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@James McIntyre I'm more inclined to focus on the specific agent rather than the agency they work for.

Xenia and wylie like this.
  11. billybunks

billybunks New Member

Property is in Holmview / edens landing

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Definitely don't focus on the commission, it's such a small amount compared to what a good/bad agent can win/lose you.

@Brady is on the right track. 90%+ of the decision should be based on the agent, not the agency. An established, high performing and team oriented agency is a huge benefit, but from your perspective that tends to shine through the individual agents when you deal with them directly.

My clients have had great experiences with the sales team at Harcourts M1, and I'm a raving fan of Bala Rajan at Century 21 Algester, though he's a little out of area.

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  13. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

14. Tom Rivera

@Harveys I can't help but feel $367,000 was under market. It's a lovely property, and a little newer than the usual in Edens Landing. What were your thoughts at the time?

15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's the individual agent that gets the job done through markeying and negotiation not the brand or agency. No one goes to ray whites website to purchase properties only from them because it's their favourite agency. Properties are placed on an open market and agents with the best customer service, negotiation skills and who can achieve the highest visibility for a property get the best results.

Mick Butterfield, Brady and Gockie like this.
  16. Harveys

It needed a cosmetic reno, it was UGLY, the block was rocky and built into the cliff. Number 12 sold for 435 in 2016, the owners thought it was worth the same in its current condition. I removed my offer of 375. My numbers made sense up to 370. I was looking to value add and found a more suitable property in the aria.

I think Edens landing is a great little suburb in south Logan.

17. Tom Rivera

I have to agree completely, it's a lovely area. There's some really interesting properties, mostly well maintained and a generally good quality of neighbour. The prices are reasonably high though so yields aren't immediately strong, but that's a good thing depending how you see it- lots of owner occupiers.

18. Harveys

I got 6.25 after a quick reno. Was happy with that & had no problems renting it out.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  19. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

How can you call an agent "expensive" or "cheap" before they have even sold your home?

The one that results in you having the most money in your pocket after settlement is the "cheapest". Fee shouldn't be the decider.

And make sure you invest in a suitable marketing package too.

20. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

If a house more than 1 million, use the one who might sell $30,000 more than the others.
    If a house around $300-400k, think about if the Ray White can sell $7000 more than purple bricks, if the Local can sell $4000 more than purple bricks.
    You even can put a board there and ads on domain and realestate by yourself, might be $200, some online agent can do that as well from $300-$900. If the price not much negotiable in that area, I know people do that before and sell it to the first customer with the asked price which is a fair price but not cheap at all. Might suitable for suburb not many supply and price under 45k.