WHO says not to lock down for COVID?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 13th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No one had picked up on this, when it is so huge

WHO now saying lockdowns should not be main covid defence...... what the hell
    Egg on face..... and what I have been saying for 6 months

Sorry Simon ...... had to post this
    Can it be placed in Australia covid thread. I cant do this:). Thx

Has the WHO backflipped on its own lockdown advice?

Serveman and Ostraylia like this.
  2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Not egg on face at all, and as usual reported wihtout full context.

The article states:-

"The only time we believe a lockdown in justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources; protect your health workers who are exhausted," Dr Nabarro said.

..and then:-

"So when should lockdowns and restrictions be lifted?
    The WHO put out a six-step plan for governments to follow to ease restrictions.

To ease restrictions the WHO says governments should:

• Ensure transmission is under control
    • Make sure health systems can care for every case — including tracing and isolating
    • Minimise risks in health facilities, including nursing homes
    • Have preventative measures in workplaces, schools and other essential places
    • Manage the risk of the virus being imported in from another place
    • Fully educate the community on the new normal, and how they can protect themselves"

NOTE the very first point.

Lock downs are put in place to get transmission under control, then they can be eased with systems in place to contain as much as possible and test and trace, which is exactly what Victoria has been planing for months. Lock down to get on top of community transmission then implement a system where lock downs are no longer necessary.

The WHO are absolutely NOT saying that everywhere should just go open up and let this thing rip.

Dan Andrews has said right form the start of these strict lock downs that they are in place as long as necessary to get this under control then we can open and STAY OPEN. That message hasn't changed (and I've watched every single presser for the last 100+ days straight), and is basically exactly what the WHO have just said.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not sure 6 month lockdown In Melb is buying time

What do others think??

Serveman likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Already made a comment in post #2921 yesterday :)
    COVID-19 in Australia [Health & Family]

To ease restrictions the WHO says governments should:
    • Ensure transmission is under control
    • Make sure health systems can care for every case — including tracing and isolating
    • Minimise risks in health facilities, including nursing homes
    • Have preventative measures in workplaces, schools and other essential places
    • Manage the risk of the virus being imported in from another place
    • Fully educate the community on the new normal, and how they can protect themselves

We definitely don't have some of this working here in Victoria.....

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Further news from the WHO:

Herd immunity is 'ethically problematic' according to WHO Director General

The World Health Organization has warned using "herd immunity" as a strategy against coronavirus would be unethical.

WHO director general Tedros Adhamon Ghebreyesus says not enough is known about the immune response to COVID 19.

Doctor Tedros says herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus through vaccination, not by exposing them to it.

"It's scientifically and ethically problematic. We don't know enough about immunity to COVID-19. We have some clues, but we don't have the complete picture," he said.

The Y-man

TMNT and Lizzie like this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Countries that haven't locked down have not been able to achieve any of these metrics.

The problem with many countries that have locked down and failed, is they haven't locked down hard enough.

random and Firefly99 like this.
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Yup. And research is showing that having COVID will only give you immunity for around 4 months. So it’s not like 70% of the population gets it once and we are fine.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Go back to when ''HIV'' was discovered ,and 40 years later from what anyone can read there is still no effective vaccine against that virus..
    Even with Operation ''Warp--Speed'' and the ten billion in funding it may only minimise the effects of covid-19 rather then provide ''sterilizing immunity'' as from what i read one vaccine with Moderna latest trials won't be enough..
    Plus a recent Ipos poll by the world economics forum ,one third of Americans say they will not get vaccinated if Covid 19 vaccine becomes available ,so anyone thinking this is just a flu and the economic hardship this brings and everything just goes away better have a very good plan''B'' as what we are now seeing is only the start..
    The World Economic Forum

https://intelligence.weforum.org/topics/a1G0X000006O6EHUA0?tab=publications
    imho..

Operation Warp Speed - Wikipedia

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2020
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This is true - however, I think the point the WHO is trying to make is that many countries without good social security will find the poor disproportionately affected by lockdowns - since most of them can't simply "work from home" and rely on their ability to leave their home to make income just to survive.

I guess the point is that what we have achieved in Australia is not going to work in many other countries.

We are once again the "lucky country" because we are an island (so physically easy to close the borders), we have a very good social security system (so we can afford to pay JobKeeper / JobSeeker / etc), and we're generally in a good economic position.

So as much as I'm an advocate for the lockdowns that we have had here in Australia - I am also keenly aware that similar style lockdowns in other countries would have a devastating effect on much of the population.

Which is why I get a bit grumpy about people in Australia complaining about lockdowns. You try living through a similar lockdown in a country like India, Brazil or Colombia - the wealthy would be relatively comfortable, but there is a very large population of people just trying to survive day-to-day who would be experiencing devastating hardship right now - not like we have in Australia, but genuine heart-braking hardship.

Angel, inertia, thatbum and 6 others like this.
  10. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

The 6 month lockdown is a terrible, disgraceful response and disproportionate behaviour by the Andrews Government. A majority of people who contract the virus have mild symptoms and recover. It is far better to protect the vulnerable and the erderly and allow the young and healthy to get on with it.
    The initial lockdown was used to prepare countries to get ready, it was not indented as a long term strategy. You will end up with more people dying from every other ailment than this virus.
    And then there is the hypocrisy factor where you can’t go and visit your mother on Mother’s Day but BLM protests are OK.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2020
    sqe, Property Baron and MTR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.