Technology & Social Media Who has stopped using eBay in favour of Gumtree and FB groups?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering how eBay is doing with so many FB buy, swap and sell groups established these days.

We are renovating and have been buying building materials.

I'm also listing things I've bought that we've not needed, and decluttering in general.

When buying, I tend to go to Gumtree first, then FB, lastly eBay.

When selling, if I'm not sure of my pricing, I check prices on eBay first, then list on FB groups and Gumtree. I rarely sell on eBay these days because of the fees.

FB groups (especially Marketplace) is frustrating due to tyre kickers and no shows, but it is much easier and quicker than eBay in my experience.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I use all three.

However, I have been much more successful with eBay because people often buy instantly before even looking at the goods. This means they are almost certain to turn up to collect them

I don’t usually put anything up for auction just use a set price.

On eBay, I’ve sold a bike carrier to a lady in rural NSW, shoes to someone in QLD, a hot water urn to someone in SA, eighties tap handles to some one in QLD as well as a few things locally in Melbourne (juicer, doors, microwave, timber, toilet, mulcher, mower parts to name a few.)

I’ve sold a few things through Gumtree but definitely better through eBay (despite the annoying fees). With eBay, I usually wait until get an offer to sell without fees.

eBay has owned Gumtree for over a decade.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2018
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I use eBay all the time. I only use Facebook for things that I think would have trouble selling on Ebay & I don't use Gumtree at all.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'm using eBay more. Less BS compared to gumtree and FB. Also seller and buyer protection using PayPal.

It's much easier to spot scams and free shipping.

I'll use gumtree or Facebook locally only...

hobartchic likes this.
  5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I use Ebay. It's safer and the issues with items are always sorted out.

There's been assaults reported via gumtree fake sales so I would be careful using it. I'd be careful meeting anyone on my own, that's all. Then again, I tend to be careful with that anyway.

My mum uses facebook sparingly but she's careful how she does it and only uses it for select items.

wylie likes this.
  6. wylie

Agree with the protection comments, and of course the tyre kickers are minimised on eBay. I just am finding it very quick to list on FB and often within half an hour I have it sold.

I think Gumtree is owned by eBay (or used to be?) so I've always expected Gumtree may start charging fees one day.

FB is frustrating, especially marketplace where every second contact is a tyre kicker. Generally I use my local groups rather than put it on Marketplace. That is the worst for dodgy no-shows.

I don't give out much information until I get a mobile number and am sure they will actually come and get the item. Still sold bedside tables twice this week. Both times it was a "sorry, couldn't get there" situation. Annoying.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When listing on FB, I always put it on Marketplace, as that will give the most exposure. Lots of tyre kickers, but those that buy are usually quick & easy to deal with.

Redwing likes this.
  8. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Amazon seems to be increasing its range a bit, and they seem to be trying for some more competitive prices, but it's still underwhelming. I find eBay and Gumtree are mostly quite different markets, so I sometimes use either depending on what I want. I wouldn't say either is my go to.

9. wylie

I think it is too easy to click the message "is this available". Then often I hear nothing more.

And these days I get a mobile number and often take a screen shot too as a little protection as I've given my address in the past and then nobody turns up. I can see they are reading my messages. So I'm very careful these days.

Another reason I've turned off eBay a fair bit is there is so much new stuff these days, and the "diamond amongst the chaff" is rare to find.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're selling. Have found fb and gumtree are bottom feeder buyers. Unreliable and a PITA. Never seem to have issues with ebay buyers.

Redwing likes this.
  11. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

The last time I used ebay I was still at Uni.

I tried aliexpress.com after it was recommended to me by a friend and haven't looked back since.

12. wylie

Agree pretty much with this. But for clearing stuff that isn't high value, I find it works well. I was just curious because I would have thought eBay may be suffering lower numbers with the rise of the FB groups.

13. wylie

I didn't know what this was, but googled and find myself on a similar site to eBay but with foreign language. Is that the one?

14. wylie

Since starting this thread, using FB, I've sold one item and then had her say they cannot collect tomorrow as planned, but can collect next week. I've put it back up and she will buy it if it doesn't sell before next weekend. Sure :rolleyes:

I've also fielded an enquiry on another item I'm selling. She offered lower, I countered. We agreed. Then she said her husband didn't like it. Within two minutes of her deciding against it, I've relisted and sold it again, and it will be collected tomorrow.

The the other danger of FB is that while trying to declutter I often find something I cannot live without and end up selling one thing and buying another. :p

Joynz likes this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep, this is so true. I sell a lot of (new) skates on eBay. On FB I sell unwanted crap, & they often try to offer half price the already ridiculously cheap price you are asking. Some idiots try that on eBay, but I will usually just block them.

16. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Or they ask if you can deliver a $5 or $10 item.

We're going old school next month with a garage sale.

17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

AliExpress is designed for wholesalers. There's less protection and quality control than ebay.

18. wylie

And great if you can read Russian... :p

hobartchic likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Cheap skates?

wylie likes this.
  20. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

That's strange because I just googled it and the proper address was the top result.

Here it is: www.aliexpress.com

It's in English. Just set your 'ship to' location and currency to AUS and you're set to go!

Incorrect. You're thinking of 'Alibaba' which I'm familiar with. AliExpress is owned by Alibaba but it's just like ebay with a wider range of products. Going on almost 10 years now since I started using the site and to date I can only think of 3 items I was unhappy with and was able to get refunded half their purchase price and also kept the items.

In the old days I would find something I liked on ebay and would then look for it on Aliexpress to buy it for a much cheaper price. Nowadays I find there isn't much difference in price but Aliexpress has much better sales and more often.

P.S. Keep an eye out for their 'singles day' sales on November 11. :D

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2018
    wylie likes this.