Who has NBN? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

We're on NBN FttP.

We have an unlimited 100/40 plan. The attached image shows the speeds we achieve on a connection from Brisbane to Sydney.

Attached Files:

2. Nattl3s

Nattl3s Well-Known Member

We were one of the first burbs in Bris to get NBN and i waited until the very end to switch over. At first it was the same as cable, but this year, year 3, its slower. I have noticeable lag when connecting to sites and lag more when gaming. Its also more expensive than my cable plan. So my experience has been: its slower and more expensive than cable.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Bummer @Nattl3s as this is what my brother-in-law found. But it we don't switch and we are cut off in 18 months, then that really means we have no choice?

Might have to go back to pen and paper, letter writing, looking things up in books... :eek:

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1. BIL may have stayed with his old provider but once NBN is available you can't get the old copper service back.
    2. You need to check with Optus if they are exiting the market for your type of product. So you get your phone through Optus cable too?

1. True, NBN is the infrastructure for all types of connections.
    2. VOIP is the only option through the same provider as your internet, the copper between the exchange & your pit (generally) will be disconnected so it is no longer an option.

Depends on the type of NBN service being provided to your house - if you're having to rely on FTTN the last bit will be your copper, HFC uses the existing cable (or new lead-in cable) to provide the service.

I could too if the ADSL was stable - it varies from 1mbs to 14mbs on a good day. If you tweak your settings you can achieve higher speeds but may lose some stability.

As for cost, most carriers provide a basic internet (with ridiculously low usage), a phone & basic internet (about the same as a bundle on ADSL), then you can pay for a premium service.

Alternatively, you can upgrade to a dedicated fibre service at a price and not be connected to NBN at all.

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2017
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have NBN and it is slower than ADSL.

6. Nattl3s

Nattl3s Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is no option Wylie - you have to switch over to NBN at the cut off date. Which would be fine if the service was better and/or cheaper. Perhaps i was just lucky with my original cable. Ah well, first world problems i guess.

7. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I've got it here, 100/40 - Aussie Broadband is my provider. Costing me much the same as 40/40 (Spirit fibre) + Optus landline at my old place. Very happy.

8. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

We switched to NBN about a year ago. Despite only getting the poor man's version aka FTTN, our internet is faster, cheaper and more plentiful than the ADSL2+ we had before.

9. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

I have been running the Telstra Cable service for a few years and I get around 115mbps download and around 3-4 mbps upload.

Areas like mine they are not rolling out new NBN fibre. Instead they are just upgrading the existing cable (old foxtel network from 20 years ago (also resold space by Optus, TPG etc) to support NBN and they call this High Frequency Cable.

Telstra now contact me to say I have 18 months to move to 'NBN' before the coppers lines are switched off etc and they then try to offer me slow speeds and ask for me to pay more per month..

What a joke!!

I said unless you can offer me equal or better speeds for the same price or less don't try and move me to anything else you call an upgrade or special NBN promotion :) - The person in the Philippines understood and agreed.

Most of how the NBN is being sold and what people actually get is very deceptive to the point that it is no better than what has been around 10+ years ago.

It is also claimed that NBN is fully independent, however in areas like mine for example it is all still going through all the old Telstra infrastructure. So how possibly can NBN co be offering in many instances access to the internet under new / faster / independent infrastructure.

Telstra get a cut of the action and just about all key check points as usual - making their business model and profits quite safe - at least in the short term to medium term.

Don't get me started!

10. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, saying you have NBN is a bit like saying you have a car. There are many different types of cars and they all have different speed/acceleration capabilities.

NBN is sold on plans of 4 different speeds, 12.5mbps, 25mbps, 50mbps and 100mbps. You have to check the fine print to see what speed upto your plan offers.

12.5 will be cheapest but pretty ordinary, 25 fine for most if only 1 maybe 2 in connected stream video at same time. 50 and 100 most will be more than happy with.

We have the 25 and we are happy, we stream tv off the apps, stan and netflix no problem. Gamers I'm guessing would would the next level.

We were on a 100gig data allowance (25mbps speed) plan with Australias biggest provider in a house for over 12 mths and happy, moved into an apartment about 5 mths ago on the same plan and noticed we were 'using' a lot more data, hitting our limit half way through the month etc, which we hardly ever did for 12mths in the house. Seemed like something wasn't quite right.

Well, we went overseas for a month with no one at home using data only to have 'used' 60% of our data. Complete bulldust...so it seems our data is not being 'metered/measured' accurately. A google search reveals a ship load of customers of the same biggest provider have had similar issues.

Rather than fight, needless to say we will be moving to an unlimited provider when contract ends shortly.

@Oliver thanks for the tip on myrepublic, looks to be the same monthly price we are paying now for speeds up to 4 times faster and not metered for usage so will give them a try.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2017
  11. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

I have NBN (north Bris) and only really notice a huge difference in upload speed. I used to upload videos to youtube on adsl and it would take 40 mins, now it takes 6-10. Downloading larger files is faster but I personally feel it hasn't changed as dramatically as my experience with uploads.

As far as browsing the internet goes...it feels the same as adsl to me.
    I've had NBN for about a year and feel it is getting slower.
    I am paying $40 a month more for NBN compared to my previous adsl plan (both unlimited plans) but don't feel I'm getting that value.

12. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Have had NBN Fixed Wireless for over 12 months now, started off with Telstra and it was a big improvement on ADSL2.
    But, last few months have switched to Aussiebroadband NBN and getting more than 2x speed and paying just over half per month. 50Download/20upload plan with 50GB/mnth. 1st 6 months double the data and 1st month free! $55/month.
    So far haven't used more than 50GB but for an extra $10/mnth would get 100GB which we would never come near using.

Go figure!

Very happy.

13. wylie

I'm wondering if we will be offered fibre to the node, or fibre to the house. I'm guessing all this will unfold as we get closer. Sure sounds like it is a very mixed bag of "hit and miss".

I'm not full of confidence at all...

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The challenge with NBN is that under the original design (FTTP), it called for 12 interconnection points country wide (2 in each capital city). So retail service providers (iinet, tpg, optus, telstra etc) could just buy huge bandwidth to NBNCo at 12 locations and everyone would be happy.

Then along came NBN cutdown cheapo v2 (FTTN), which is now at about 140 interconnection points and counting. So RSP's need to buy bandwidth at every one of these, and manage lots of congestion as when interconnects get congested, they have to order more capacity which can take weeks or months to provision.

On ADSL2+ ISP's could generally buy bandwidth in a few interconnection points and you could get maximum throughput most of the time. NBN is far more congested and suffers from latency and slowdowns.

Theres lots of finger pointing and blame in the media, but ultimately the convoluted mess NBN architecture has become is behind it all.

Nattl3s likes this.
  15. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

NBN was painfully slow when we swapped. My wife was unable to stream her Korean dramas :mad: this was basically the end of the world. . It took three phone calls to our provider to get it fixed. Apparently everyone is set up on the same default channel, this gets overloaded & very slow, as soon as they changed our channel we were at least as fast as ADSL2. The first two calls I was told I had to pay more for faster services.

16. Scott No Mates

Go to nbnco.com.au & search your address - it will tell you what type of technology you will get and when it'll be installed.

wylie likes this.
  17. wylie

I just did this, and realise it is what I looked up yesterday before starting this thread, but I didn't know what I was looking at. My address shows "non Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC). I registered for updates so now will wait and might ask more questions when we have to make a decision.

18. Scott No Mates

@wylie I've not heard of non-hfc.

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Our says FTTN. Bugger.

One hope it will be faster and cheaper than mobile broadband :).

20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Me either, i am 4 Km,s from the tower for fixed wireless,1 hour from Adelaide CBD,and i am rural,not in the tower "line of sight" apparently has a 14Km range so its mobile broadband for us, $150 pm for 50 gig, someone certainly got the technology wrong big time.