Who has NBN? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've just had a flyer in the letterbox saying NBN is coming before Christmas.

My brother-in-law has it, hates it, and I believe went back to his old provider. I think it was more expensive, and slower, but I also believe he will have to go back to NBN as I heard other internet methods will be cut off 18 months after NBN goes through.

I'm sure I'll hear more over the next few weeks, but I'm curious to know what others have done, what the NBN has been like? Faster? More expensive?

We currently have cable, so I'm also curious to know if it is true that all other means of getting internet to the house will indeed be cut off 18 months after NBN connection is available to us.

I signed up for internet updates, and checked FAQs but cannot see an answer to these things.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

All of our IPs have NBN but our PPOR doesn’t. We are scheduled to get it Q2 2018. So I can’t give you any feedback.

We don’t even have ADSL2 and we are less than 15kms from the Brisbane CBD as the crow flies.

So, we have a mobile broadband connection with a 25Gb data limit, costing $110 per month. We exceed the limit every month and I have to have an abusive phone call with Telstra to get them to unshape it.

So much for Malcolm telling us to be innovative and agile. I would love to but you gotta provide me with the infrastructure :p :p.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I have it. Unlimited. Love it. Saves me heaps.

4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    How much faster than adsl2+?
    Have adsl 2+ unlimited with tog for $60 pm, pretty decent speed and good value.
    NBN not ready in our area yet but hoping it’ll be a significant improvement when it comes.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

We have had a few of these in the mail box over the past few weeks with our address and the Wife's name on the front saying ..

..To the internet Lover ..

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Non NBN internet will definitely be cut off some time after the NBN arrives in your area.

Re. Speed:
    There was a news article recently saying that one of the reasons some people find the NBN very slow is because they have gone for the cheap option which is not the fastest.

However, other sources say the demand on the network, the thickness and material of your walls (for wifi), the number of devices you have, the type of router and age of your devices can all affect the speed.

You also need to check the speed you are signing up for - you can choose a faster or slower speed.

I heard recently that the ACCC is setting up a mechanism for investigating NBN service complaints.

I have NBN in my area, but have ignored the many ads recieved - I'm happy with my $70 per month cable and phone bundle. But I will have to start looking next year...

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2017
  7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

NBN is the infrastructure and you will need to have it to continue with the phone service. You can nominate a provider. Getting it on seems to guarantee headaches but once on it seems to be fine overall. I do recommend keeping separate phone line if you can (extra expense) seems to be more reliable than the standard VOIP.

8. hobartchic

phone and internet. NBN replaces the old Telstra lines.

9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We had nbn at the house we were renting here in Canberra and it was fantastic! It was fibre to the house though.

A lot of Brisbane nbn is fibre to the node which is a stupid rubbish solution. Our old ppr in Brisbane just got nbn and our tenant has switched back to cable as the nbn was much worse.

Our house at Algester has nbn which is fibre to the house and been in for a few years. Really depends on the part of Brisbane. If it's recent it's more likely fibre to the node...

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Wow. Because of this, you'll have to move. Just don't tell the prospective buyers!

kierank likes this.
  11. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Bridgeman Downs by chance? You sound just like one of my colleagues.

We have fibre to the home. Rock solid and reliability. Downloads at about 45Mbps and uploads around 14Mbps.

12. kierank

That is why we are selling after NBN is available :).

13. kierank

No. We are Southside.

Not Happy Jan !!!

14. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I have NBN and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Very fast & reliable. No issues whatsoever. I'm paying only $10 a month extra than what I was on my previous ADSL2+ plan.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm wary of making any changes. Two years ago I decided to change from cable to ADSL (or naked ADSL, or ADSL+ and I have no idea what the difference is).

Optus told me as long as I kept some service with them, I wouldn't lose my email address. I said we have Optus TV. No problem...

So we sign up with another provider, who tests the line and says our phone line will work. Until I sign up, they won't send Telstra out to set it up. So I sign a contract.

Telstra tech arrives, has trouble finding a stable line, gets us a dial tone, leaves, and two minutes later we lose the connection for six weeks. I cannot exit the plan that I had to sign up to before knowing we had such crappy copper in our street.

I lost all my emails, and my long held email address. Now with gmail so will never have this issue again.

So if we have such old and brittle copper in our street, I'm guessing the NBN will mean we can get faster internet than our cable (fingers crossed - though it is fast enough in my opinion, and I've no idea how much faster it could be anyway)?

This is why people stick with "the devil they know".

16. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

MyRepublic, $60 per month for full 100Mbps unlimited.
    Lucky to be in the inner Sydney area with no congestion, I can download at 10Mb/s day and night!
    So much faster than ADSL2+.

willy1111 likes this.
  17. hobartchic

Absolutely. This is a change forced on us all unless you want to rely on mobile technology. Should be faster but that assumes the copper is changed to optical fibre. There's no guarantees with these things. I know of ex-Telstra techs who found the NBN frustrating to deal with and unimpressed with their approach!

18. hobartchic

NBN has worked out about same or cheaper with unlimited for my step parent.

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Get this... NBN was supposed to have been connected up at my Scarborough Brisbane place in January. The provider hadn't been able to get NBN to connect it for who knows what reason. But I can't connect to ADSL there because they won't let it have new connections.

So its been prepaid mobile internet there this whole time...

I'm trying another provider (and touch wood) they'll connect it...

20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

we switched over to NBN - I have noticed no difference.
    My 15 year old hates it, it messes up his important computer games somehow.
    Me not care LOL

jim1964 and Scott No Mates like this.