Who donates to charity on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by balwoges, 4th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

What's the group name, please?

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There was a guy I met in Guatemala some years ago - he taught my Spanish classes on two visits. That was in a small village in a beautiful setting by a lake, with mostly indigenous Mayan people.

I lent him some money several years ago so that he could set up teaching Spanish by internet. It was enough to set him up with computer and internet. It was 12 months repayment terms, no interest. Guatemala is one of the cheapest countries for a foreigner to learn Spanish, and it's spoken clearly and not too fast.

Then Covid hit. The computer allowed him to survive when the school closed down. Not only that, but he was able to teach others from the school to teach via computer as well.

When the term was up, I tasked him with finding the next loan recipient. His sister in law used to buy a sewing machine to produce traditional Guatemalan blouses. She sells these locally, and a collective buys them to sell elsewhere. (The women largely wear traditional clothing).

That term is now over, and his children are old enough to go to school, so the loan is going to his wife to do the same to go with the blouses.

Last edited: 5th Dec, 2021
    samiam, qak, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just logged in and searched around and found this...

Image 5-12-21 at 4.00 pm.jpg

Baker likes this.
  4. wylie

And a little more tweaking shows that the team has lent $250k. Image 5-12-21 at 4.02 pm.jpg

Baker likes this.
  5. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I donate to Kiva. I top it up every year.

KIVA has about $3.50 per $25 charges but even then you can choose not to pay that. I love it as a charity because the money is leant to people (not a handout) thus encouraging people to take control of their lives. Some of the initiatives are great. You get emails when money has been paid back, then you lend it again, and again.

I sponsor a child in Bali. During Covid I have sent money for food packages as many are starving.
    I donate to other charities but am conscious of where the money goes (and how much). None of these shopping centre, give me your credit card deals.

Both hubby and I volunteer once a week. Me at a great organisation called OrangeSky. Set up by 2 young Aussie guys. It's a van with washing machines, dryers and a shower. It moves around to various locations every week. We set up and people can have a friendly chat and get their clothes washed etc for free.
    It's not always easy to find volunteering positions. I found this very frustrating.

devank, wylie and Sackie like this.
  6. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Donate regularly to six charities per month - World Vision, Oxfam, Salvos, Wesley Mission, Plan International, and UNCHR. Also do a bit of Kiva, and a couple of once offs from time to time. World Vision is the longest, started over 30yrs ago.

Gmfren, wylie and geoffw like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well over 30 years ago actually - I did a 40 hour famine in about 1972. It was founded though well before that, in 1950.

8. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Hi @geoffw, to clarify, I meant I started contributing on a regular basis over 30 years ago!

geoffw likes this.
  9. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

My monthly donations are almost all to Animals Asia, RSPCA or Animals Australia unless there's a charity being promoted in the office which I'll also donate to. I think I need to get off my lazy backside and volunteer again as I haven't for ages.

Not happy with the RFS (Rural State Fire Service). Gave them a sizeable donation around 4 years ago and then told them to put me on their internal do not call register but they never listened and kept calling me. Told them to stop sending me physical mail but they still do after all these years. After that donation I read a very critical SMH article on their CEO and management at that time in regard to their overly generous level of compensation and inefficient spending. I don't have a great recollection of those details so won't comment on it any further.

Gmfren likes this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Restores your faith in humanity when you see so many of this group so generous with not only their time but their hard earned cash ... :D

geoffw likes this.
  11. wylie

@Purple Patch I just realised I didn't answer this part. I'll see if I can add Property Chat to the group name. I'm sure Tracey wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure how I'll go. I'll update here once I've tried.

Purple Patch likes this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't give anything to any of the big charities, not even the animal ones, as I find there's too much wastage. Instead, I focus on the, I guess you'd call them micro charities for animals. There's a heap of very small charities set up around the country that rescue & rehabituate animals, and most of them are just private people that take on strays, feed them, give them vet care, nurse them back to health if they are ill, and some of them take on foster carers as well. Then they get them adopted out. All this takes time and money, and often the funds in is less than what is spent on the animals.

I also foster kittens. Just got the call to pick one of the latest ones up from the vet, after his desexing. His new family pick him up from me on Sunday.

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes me too. They often do it all out of their own pockets. They are really fantastic people and do so much front-line work.
    I also do some of that stuff myself but I do have my limits.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, there's some scummy ones out there too though. Like everything you need to use discretion. I used to volunteer for a group that got in bulk food supplies (out of date) from manufacturers, and it would all be dropped at my doorstep. We're talking pallet loads of the stuff. My job was to contact the rescue organisations to come & collect their share of it. I got to know pretty quickly who was good & who wasn't.

15. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I like donating to a few causes such as cancer, homelessness, suicide prevention, Salvos and a few locals such as Wayside Chapel and since their early days Miracle Babies. MBs are some the most beautiful people I ever dealt with in a charity org.

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2021
    wylie and Sackie like this.
  16. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

Ronald McDonald house for me. They provide accommodation for families with sick kids, which always hits me right in the feels. 9k a year pays for a room and with a bit of fundraising through our networks we've had it for over 10 years now. We have a family from the country with a very sick child who stayed 231 days last year. Without this support they would not have been able to provide their child with the care she needs.

Shazz@, samiam and wylie like this.
  17. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I will check out kiva

Baker likes this.
  18. wylie

See post #44 if you want to join under the old Somersoft group that was set up years ago.