White Setting to prepare rendered walls?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Harry Marcus, 19th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry Marcus

Harry Marcus Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We're moving into the final stages of a 2 level brick townhouse renovation... exciting times!

We've had extensive 'chasing' done through the property, with re-configuration of electrical switches/powerpoints/etc. There were also some damaged walls which we've broken the render off and re-rendered.

My tiler has suggested that we 'white set' the entire place given all of the rendering that's been done, and said he could have the whole place done for about 14K (yes... I fell off my chair too).

I'm not quite clear on my options here though:

(a) Is there an alternative to white setting that is cheaper and will prep the walls for painting
    (b) do I need to white set the entire home or can I just white set all the chased rendered gaps?

Any advice would be really, really appreciated!

Cheers,
    Harry

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why are you taking painting advice from a tiler? o_O

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa! Hang on there! I know at least one person qualified as both. Rare, but true!

pinkboy

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

After rendering? Not that I know of. Who did the rendering and how does it look? White setting is not much harder to do than rendering but it is more technical and takes a bit longer to do.

It depends on the condition of the existing plaster. It would be unusual to have white set a whole house. Where chasing has been done you can use top coat. Be aware that it shrinks though, so best to overfill and sand back.

Where is the property? If it is Perth I can probably dig up the details of a plasterer

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

"If" your getting a pro painter in he should be able to patch up whats needed. Mine mixed and patched with plaster, can't even tell where he did it, even though I know there was a bloody big hole there, experience of doing it everyday compared to my occasional crappy patching.

For course/large fill I use this Sika 5L Filler-105 Coarse Surface Filler
    Then finish it off with this or similar for fine - Parfix 1kg Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler

Perthguy likes this.
  6. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I forgot about that guy. It's a pity his business class airfare would price him out of the job ;)

8. Harry Marcus

Harry Marcus Well-Known Member

Thanks guys - really valuable feedback as always.